Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I dropped it"... how long after surgery were you (finally) able to pick it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sock installer’s are the norm. I’m surprised you don’t have one yet....
    http://www.amazon.com/SOCK-FOAM-GRIP...words=sock-aid

Long shoe horns are nice....
    https://www.activeforever.com/stainl...FZKBfgodkMAHlQ

Picking up a halved oxy with grabbers is a milestone! He he

It can take a long time on the sitting.......pillows help.

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

"SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE?" Nooo!! Hell, no! I am not ready for that.

Comment

This is my 4th year anniversary of my C2-pelvis fusion. I am able to pick up most items off the floor. So you should have no problems. It just takes time.

I do not think that I will be able to either get down on the floor to play with my grandchildren or tie my shoes. Those are small prices to pay for what Dr Bederman did for me.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I'm beginning to learn that set-backs or slowdowns are a part of recovery. My pre-surgery goal was to walk a 5K on the 4th of July. Even though I had been successfully building up to walking 3 miles, the week before the walk, I had tailbone pain that caused me to limp. Each day, the pain decreased to where it was gone the day before the event & I was able to complete my 5K goal - it took an hour, but I did it! The tailbone setback took me by surprise, as did the scapula issues. The 'oh, no, what's wrong' worries take over!

Susie: I hope you're healing from your falls.

Cathy: the sock slide works amazingly well!

I have folding grabbers to carry into stores with me. They're not very sturdy, but can be helpful. I always need them when I forget them in the car! Target carries them with the 'as seen on TV' products.
          Peg
          61 yrs old
          75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
          T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
          Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
            I'm beginning to learn that set-backs or slowdowns are a part of recovery. My pre-surgery goal was to walk a 5K on the 4th of July. Even though I had been successfully building up to walking 3 miles, the week before the walk, I had tailbone pain that caused me to limp. Each day, the pain decreased to where it was gone the day before the event & I was able to complete my 5K goal - it took an hour, but I did it! The tailbone setback took me by surprise, as did the scapula issues. The 'oh, no, what's wrong' worries take over!

Susie: I hope you're healing from your falls.

Cathy: the sock slide works amazingly well!

I have folding grabbers to carry into stores with me. They're not very sturdy, but can be helpful. I always need them when I forget them in the car! Target carries them with the 'as seen on TV' products.
            Peggy: Why did we think that recovery would be progressively easier? I think that we were just hoping that it would be!

Congratulations on your walk! I am impressed!

Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I don't know if this is the place to post or not . Last weekend, I went to Yosemite . I hiked 1 1/2 miles to see the Giant Sequoias Trees. They closed them for 2 years on July 6th and I was determined to see them. I never thought that I would be able to walk that far.
              Melissa

Comment

Ed I hate socks only wear in absolute freezing temps.... I'll have to have an "installer" on stand by when the temps drop. I had everything else I needed tho!

At three months I can get on my knees and up only when necessary, my grabbers are great, but I wish I could pick up my cats.... Soon!

I cannot WAIT to sit comfortably without wiggling constantly or taking a painkiller. I try to make it through the day without anything, but sometimes I cave, and take a 5mg Oxy. Doc said I can do Motrin now but it bothers my stomach.

Melissa I'm so happy to hear about your hike, you've been through the wringer, you deserve nothing but healing and consistent improvement.

So, is there such a thing as a telescoping grabber? Or dressing stick? I need to go clothes shopping!
                Cathy
                2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
                54 years old March 5
                AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
                Surgery April 8 2015
                Presurgical curves T77 L66
                Post surgical T27 L22
                Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

With respect to a short "grabber" that is convenient to carry in a shoulder bag, for a while I was using a "9.5 inch Forester Sponge Forceps", available through Amazon, or (later, when I could bend more) a much shorter "6 inch Forester Sponge Tweezers". Both were particularly useful when I dropped my underwear while attempting to get dressed in the gym and wishing to avoid having to ask for help.

By the way, my recent pain episode appears to have been the result of "overdoing it" in an effort to force recovery.
                  My recent endurance concerns appear to have been the result of a bout of GI difficulty (euphemism!).
                  Thus, back on the path.

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    Last weekend, I went to Yosemite . I hiked 1 1/2 miles to see the Giant Sequoias Trees. They closed them for 2 years on July 6th and I was determined to see them. I never thought that I would be able to walk that far.
                    Funny how these hikes and walks call us.....we can be hurting, but still we go out and do these things.

Melissa, You should have called me, I would have come down for that one again

I see they are doing construction on the Mariposa grove......probably transplanting a few trees. He he

This healing power of nature is priceless.....

Ed

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited
                    in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated
                    from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our own personal desires and to affection
                    for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle
                    of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
                    - Albert Einstein

My x-rays

Comment

Ed, I would love to meet you so the next time I head north I will let you know.

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mkatz View Post
                        With respect to a short "grabber" that is convenient to carry in a shoulder bag, for a while I was using a "9.5 inch Forester Sponge Forceps", available through Amazon, or (later, when I could bend more) a much shorter "6 inch Forester Sponge Tweezers". Both were particularly useful when I dropped my underwear while attempting to get dressed in the gym and wishing to avoid having to ask for help.

By the way, my recent pain episode appears to have been the result of "overdoing it" in an effort to force recovery.
                        My recent endurance concerns appear to have been the result of a bout of GI difficulty (euphemism!).
                        Thus, back on the path.
                        Love the "overdoing it in an effort to force recovery". Love your recovery ethic!

Dropping your undies in the dressing room can certainly poise a challenge! Have you thought about going commando?

Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                          Love the "overdoing it in an effort to force recovery". Love your recovery ethic!

Dropping your undies in the dressing room can certainly poise a challenge! Have you thought about going commando?

Susan
                          men "dangle" when "going commando". Witness the frowns on some male participants faces when participating in Portland's nude bike rides.

Comment

They would really be frowning if they competed in a pogo stick competition.....

I just deleted 20 jokes, trying to exercise some control around here....

I wont be ending this post with “Hang in there” LOL

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Dropping keys grabber inside car- been there done that- bend a wire coat hanger...

Originally posted by PeggyS View Post
                              Funny comments!

About 3 months after surgery, I used a vending machine. The change tray was way too low to reach and I didn't have anyone with me. I saw a little boy nearby & showed him where he could 'find' some treasure!

I leave coins on the ground, but I've dropped coupons & scooted them with my foot until I found someone to pick them up.
                              I carry grabbers & also worry about dropping my keys with the grabbers locked inside my car!

I hope to tie my shoes - someday (or year)!
                              Been there and done that several times! Dropped keys with nobody around to help and grabber in car! I now carry a bent up wire coat hanger in my purse for that purpose.
                              Pam, age 49
                              Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                              April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Working...
                              X