Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question???

Hi Malissa,
    I am wondering what direction your incision goes, "up and down" or "sideways" across your tummy?
    And were you really swelled up afterwards? He wants to go in the front at L4/5 and possibly L3/4 and bone graft down to S1. In the posterior he is going to have to put anchoring screws into the pelvic bone under CT guidence due to the previous surgeries. He will try to adjust some of the screws that are in there and this is going to be a challenge , since a lot of the bone has been reabsorbed from the loose screws. And then of course they are going to have to expose all the way up my back side and all the way down to check the fusion and try and get things to fuse solidly. He will do smaller osteotomies at multiple levels and will need to do a large resection of bone in order to get me rebalanced. I of coarse had to e-mail him a lot of questions. But does this sound anything like what they did to you? I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. I have been on pain meds. forever and this is going to be trickey post-op. I won't go through with it till I know their post-op pain plan, as I had a couple surgeries that were nightmares, cause someone dropped the ball. I pray that you get to feeling better. You are really early in the grand scheme of things. But that doesn't help anything when you're in pain. And we do know our bodies better than anyone. You are an inspiration to me!! Stay with it-and concentrate on the light at the end of that tunnel. Bless you , boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
      Hi Malissa,
      I am wondering what direction your incision goes, "up and down" or "sideways" across your tummy?
      And were you really swelled up afterwards? He wants to go in the front at L4/5 and possibly L3/4 and bone graft down to S1. In the posterior he is going to have to put anchoring screws into the pelvic bone under CT guidence due to the previous surgeries. He will try to adjust some of the screws that are in there and this is going to be a challenge , since a lot of the bone has been reabsorbed from the loose screws. And then of course they are going to have to expose all the way up my back side and all the way down to check the fusion and try and get things to fuse solidly. He will do smaller osteotomies at multiple levels and will need to do a large resection of bone in order to get me rebalanced. I of coarse had to e-mail him a lot of questions. But does this sound anything like what they did to you? I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out. I have been on pain meds. forever and this is going to be trickey post-op. I won't go through with it till I know their post-op pain plan, as I had a couple surgeries that were nightmares, cause someone dropped the ball. I pray that you get to feeling better. You are really early in the grand scheme of things. But that doesn't help anything when you're in pain. And we do know our bodies better than anyone. You are an inspiration to me!! Stay with it-and concentrate on the light at the end of that tunnel. Bless you , boomer
      Hi...

This sounds about right to me.

I want to set your mind at ease. In the patients that we see coming to UCSF for revision, the vast majority are much happier 6 weeks after surgery than they've been for a very long time. That's not to say that recovery won't be difficult, but it's all relative. My point is that the fix is probably going to be a lot easier than what you've gone through leading up to this.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Malissa,
        Hello,
        My incision goes sideways across my tummy and yes I was and still are swelled up afterwards. He says that it is normal and should go away soon. I keep
        forgetting that it has only been 3 weeks yesterday since my surgery. Thank you for your prayers and yes I keep on concentrating on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• PT eval

Well, I went yesterday for my PT eval . I have 50 sessions available to me until the end of the year. Since there is only 12 weeks left in the year , that would give me 4+ sessions a week. I would be dead if I did that many. The therapist was very careful and thorough in his evaluation of me. One of the many things that he
          discovered is that my muscles are very tight and that they are putting pressure on my nerves. This could be one of the causes of my nerve pain. He would like to treat me using water therapy. I have to ask Dr Bederman if that is fine with him.If it is then I will start Wednesday. Thanks everyone for being with me thru this
          recuperation period. I so need you all being here for me
          Melissa

Comment

• It sounds like you have a thorough PT. I do hope it helps with your tight muscles. Does stress tighten your muscles, I wonder? You've been through so much stress, I'm wondering if that's got something to do with it. Let us know how you go. Gently does it. How's your pain today, Melissa?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Dr Bederman said yes to the aqua therapy so I will be starting it on Wednesday. Today I am in a lot pain even though I had a good night sleep

Thanks for asking

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

• Thak-you!

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi...

This sounds about right to me.

I want to set your mind at ease. In the patients that we see coming to UCSF for revision, the vast majority are much happier 6 weeks after surgery than they've been for a very long time. That's not to say that recovery won't be difficult, but it's all relative. My point is that the fix is probably going to be a lot easier than what you've gone through leading up to this.

Regards,
                Linda
                Thanks Linda, I needed to hear from you , as I know you've seen so much of this. In fact I was going to e-mail you. It help to have your take on this. I'm accually more worried about the Forteo right now, and side effects, as my pharmasist(bless his heart)said he was at some seminars and heard bad things about the drug, such as breaks in hip bones and jaw bones cracking. I just blew it off, as we all know that they have to report even one incident if it happens.
                You mentioned the study they are conducting at UCLA on Forteo. And thanks again for thinking of me. But it's too far and you're right ,I probably am not a candidate because I'm a revision. Wish I could find something like that close that I qualified for!
                I am so looking forward to being stood up straight(or close to straight). I am really going down-hill(pardon the pun) fast~~my ribs are crushing into hips, tummy and lung. So-- work fast Forteo!
                Thanks again for your vote of confidence! Bless you~~ and hope you are doing well~~~boomer
                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

• I'm glad that at least you had a better sleep. Still only 3 weeks out, it's so early, you're still going through that intial difficult stage. I was still in hospital at 3 weeks, hard to believe, having read so many accounts of short hospital stays here. I hope your pain eases gradually and it's not long before you have some promising news for us.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Ahhh~~ aqua therapy~~

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                    Dr Bederman said yes to the aqua therapy so I will be starting it on Wednesday. Today I am in a lot pain even though I had a good night sleep

Thanks for asking

Melissa
                    I think aqua-therapy is probably great for you. I would think they really have to "watch it close" with you this soon. Your muscles have been cut into(how many times?) and they must be fighting hard to get back to their original location! That and sooo much swelling inside we can't see that's probably putting pressure on your nerves. I am cetainly not trying to tell you what's wrong, because I really don't know. But these are some of the thing I was told on my first revision in 2010. It's amazing what the people on this web site go through, isn't it. And you're one of the bravest , with the huge surgery you recently went through. Good Luck with your therapy! Easy does it!!!boomer(Linda)
                    May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

I think aqua-therapy is probably great for you. I would think they really have to "watch it close" with you this soon. Your muscles have been cut into(how many times?) and they must be fighting hard to get back to their original location! That and sooo much swelling inside we can't see that's probably putting pressure on your nerves. I am cetainly not trying to tell you what's wrong, because I really don't know. But these are some of the thing I was told on my first revision in 2010. It's amazing what the people on this web site go through, isn't it. And you're one of the bravest , with the huge surgery you recently went through. Good Luck with your therapy! Easy does it!!!boomer(Linda)

Thanks for calling me brave. I never really think of me that way ,just doing what I needed to get thru life. I just hope that the pain reduces somewhat. I know
                      that I am only 3 weeks out from surgery but I am tired of being in pain and not able to do what I want to or need to. Our house in NC is sold, I believe and next
                      weekend we will be looking at houses here in CA. I intend to take this week easy , just walking and the two aqua therapy sessions .

Thanks again everyone for your good wishes
                      Melissa

Comment

• dear Melissa
                        i have some idea of how very long you have been dealing with, living with pain...
                        so i think your desire to "do what you want" now, at 3 weeks, might be a reflection
                        of that...most people can handle post surgery pain for 3 weeks...but not when they
                        have been living with pain for well over the previous 3 years...i suspect you have been
                        putting up with pain for way longer than 3 years!

maybe...just a suggestion...if you decide that at 6 weeks you will be able to do what you want to,
                        and need to, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel..
                        i only suggest this because i fear you might push too hard too soon, and do some
                        damage...

hope my suggestion doesn't offend you...just a little coping strategy we used to employ
                        in my social work job...sometimes it helps a person to have a little more patience...

i hope and pray you get pain relief soon!

jess

Comment

• Melissa,
                          Have you looked at the number of people who view this thread? You have quite a support group here! I didn't have water therapy after my surgery, but was allowed to walk forward, backward, and sideways in the pool at the Y. The warm water felt great. I hope it gives you some relief. Hang in there and don't push yourself too hard too soon.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            dear Melissa
                            i have some idea of how very long you have been dealing with, living with pain...
                            so i think your desire to "do what you want" now, at 3 weeks, might be a reflection
                            of that...most people can handle post surgery pain for 3 weeks...but not when they
                            have been living with pain for well over the previous 3 years...i suspect you have been
                            putting up with pain for way longer than 3 years!

maybe...just a suggestion...if you decide that at 6 weeks you will be able to do what you want to,
                            and need to, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel..
                            i only suggest this because i fear you might push too hard too soon, and do some
                            damage...

hope my suggestion doesn't offend you...just a little coping strategy we used to employ
                            in my social work job...sometimes it helps a person to have a little more patience...

i hope and pray you get pain relief soon!

jess
                            Jess, thanks for bringing that back to my attention . I am so anxious that you are right that I might forget that I still need to be so careful that I might do some damage. Thanks for looking out for me

I am going back on steroids today for 6 days because I am in so much pain. Hopefully I will get some relief soon
                            Melissa

Comment

• I am not doing well today at all. I am in so much pain and I have much stress in my life about my daughter and the sale of my house. I cannot sit up at all without being in terrible pain. ALl I can do is lie down and while that helps, it does not take the pain away .It just reduces it somewhat. I am so sad that I am in pain , like this again, right after surgery. This is just like last year repeating itself. I read all the stories of people doing so well after surgery and here I am having a repeat of last year.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa-- please take some deep breaths and try to think of something else for a little bit. You have your focus all on failure at the moment. You have been through a lot and you are one tough cookie. Remind yourself of that. Right now you are caving in because of your daughter and because you hoped you would get more immediate results. I agree that many on the forum have pretty quick results, but many of us had to wait and wait and work and work. I took my pain pills for a good 5 months. There are others who took them longer. You are so fresh out of this last surgery.

It's all right to have a good cry, but then move on and get ready to put your shoulder into recovery mode again. OK? See if there's something that can occupy your time and mind a little. I worked on cross stitch for months. I did it sitting up, but I think you could do cross stitch or cross word puzzles or some assortment of things that would help take your mind off of yourself. If you knit, I'd say you could knit little preemie hats (I don't knit...) or find something to help someone else in need. Just some suggestions. Right now, though, you are too soon out of surgery to be making any judgement on whether or not it "worked"... If there's one thing I have learned through all of this, it's patience, since I was a s-l-o-w healer. Hang in there! Hugs, Susie
                                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                                X