Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news from Dr. Lenke!

Hi all,
    I finially had my consultation with Dr. Lenke. It was great to hear him say that I am treatable. I thought he was wonderful. He checked me over and then talked to me and said he could fix me. And he explained it all to me so I could understand it very well. His technique has a lot to do with it. And a lot of other things. The down side is because he is world renowned and does people from all around the world, I have to wait till Feb.18th for surgery. It sounds like a long time, but I'm convinced that he can fix me, so it's worth the wait. He wants me to do some excersizes at home to stregthen the muscles and stretch other ones. Especially down in between my hip and groin. I bend there a lot and that needs to be pulled staight everyday and strengthened, so when he does fuse me I have good muscle strength in those areas.(to stand straight) Anyway, I also need to have some vit. D tests done. He said if I am low on D, that no amount of Forteo would help. And I havn't had good readings for bone scans, even though I am on the Forteo.
    ALL IN ALL I AM FLYING PRETTY HIGH! He left me feeling full of HOPE. His staff are wonderful. I thought so anyway. They were helpful and made me feel comfortable. So I would recommend him to anyone that is in a serious situation. He takes mostly the very serious cases.
    YOUR HAPPY SPINAL DEFORMED FRIEND!! Boomer~~~~ P.S. I met Jeromy and Doreen in the Hotel Lobby. Doreen was there for her 6mo.check up and did great. They're great people!!!
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

I am glad that you have found a Doctor that can help you
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Linda--
      That is wonderful news that Dr. Lenke can help you. The wait seems long but it gives you the opportunity to get yourself in the best condition possible. I'm really happy for you. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Linda,
        I was anxiously waiting to hear if Dr. Lenke could help you. Wonderful! Having the best surgeon possible is crucial and he is definitely at the top of the list.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Great news!
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
            Linda--
            That is wonderful news that Dr. Lenke can help you. The wait seems long but it gives you the opportunity to get yourself in the best condition possible. I'm really happy for you. Janet
            .Hi Janet! Hope all is fine with you. I am so excited about making an appt, with Dr.Linke. Dr. Perra in Minneapolis wouldn't even talk to me about an appt. (not even a follow up). I asked Dr. Lenke how he would get the screws and bolts etc. to stay? He said he would use bigger, stronger, and better equipment, plus many other things too numerous to mention. That made me feel good. He has me on a cancellation list just in case something would happen that I might get in earlier! I SEE you had quite a few osteotomies. He's going to do at least two on me. And he will use BMP mixed with my own bone that has been shaved away to help fuse my spine. I am so comfortable with him,I am thrilled! Thanks for your kind words and support!! Linda.
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

You need to change your signature now
              Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                You need to change your signature now
                I changed my signature. It felt so good to be able to change it.
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                  I changed my signature. It felt so good to be able to change it.
                  Glad that you see a light at the end of the tunnel
                  Melissa

Comment

So glad that you can be "revised". All of those strengthening exercises will make you in much better shape for the surgery. Much of the outcome of surgery is attitude and yours sounds awesome! Can't keep us oldies down, huh? Best of luck and get going with the exercises.
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Congratulations! Don't be surprised if you do get a call to come earlier. They called two or three times to offer earlier dates, but I had to keep my original because of scheduling issues.

Best wishes,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Great to read your happy news Linda!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

[QUOTE=Confusedmom;139624]Congratulations! Don't be surprised if you do get a call to come earlier. They called two or three times to offer earlier dates, but I had to keep my original because of scheduling issues.

Best wishes,
                          Evelyn[/QUOte} Oh my, that would be wonderful!!! I am so ready to stand up straight again. This is soo hard on my body. But I have lots of hope, and that helps me get through the days~~it helps to know I am going to Dr. Lenke. He said this surgery would take 10 hrs. It will be all posterior as far as I know at this point. He said that's what he wants to do. It would be great if I don't have to have two incisions.
                          Warmly , Linda
                          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda--HOORAY! I'm so excited and full of hope for you! You are in my prayers and thoughts. I know you must feel elated!
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

[QUOTE=babyboomer16;139879]
                              Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                              Congratulations! Don't be surprised if you do get a call to come earlier. They called two or three times to offer earlier dates, but I had to keep my original because of scheduling issues.

Best wishes,
                              Evelyn[/QUOte} Oh my, that would be wonderful!!! I am so ready to stand up straight again. This is soo hard on my body. But I have lots of hope, and that helps me get through the days~~it helps to know I am going to Dr. Lenke. He said this surgery would take 10 hrs. It will be all posterior as far as I know at this point. He said that's what he wants to do. It would be great if I don't have to have two incisions.
                              Warmly , Linda
                              Linda,

I know how hard it is to be unable to stand up straight, so exhausting on your body. I feel your pain. And I am so excited for you!
                              Your situation is much more severe than mine was, but let me tell you, the first time I got out of that hospital bed and could stand up straight again, hubby and I both cried...I hope the same for you. I really do.
                              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                              X