Neurosurgeon vs orthopedic surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurosurgeon vs orthopedic surgeon

I have been trying to find a different doc here for a second opinion. I have had 2 neurosurgeons specializing in spines come highly recommended. Can neurosurgeons do what I need, which is extending my fusion from T-3 up into my cervical spine? I guess I always thought only ortho docs did the instrumentation stuff. Any info or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i think you may find some doctors who bill themselves as both...
    for me...i'm consulting with orthopedic surgeon guys (so far, all have been men)...& consulting & consulting...am in no hurry...for now..but i am getting closer to making a decision...

jess

Comment

Hi...

Neurosurgeons deal with a lot more than the spine usually, and aren't heavily trained in terms of long spine fusions. So, if you're going to select one, I'd make sure they did a spine fellowship. You can usually find a surgeon's CV or bio online by doing a Google search.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Revision?

If it is revision surgery, I don't believe I would trust a neurosurgeon without this specific kind of experience.
        1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I went to a neurosurgeon for my revision and he was only of limited help. I ended up going to an ortho for problems that developed post-op. The neuro wasn't sure what to do other than remove part of my fusion and misdiagnosed protruding discs as a compression fracture. He told me it happened when I fell. I told him I hadn't fallen, so how could it happen. He wanted to operate to fix the vertabrae and that's when I went to an ortho for a second opinion. He looked at all my CT scans, xrays and MRI and showed me the discs bulging.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by badback4me View Post
            I have been trying to find a different doc here for a second opinion. I have had 2 neurosurgeons specializing in spines come highly recommended. Can neurosurgeons do what I need, which is extending my fusion from T-3 up into my cervical spine? I guess I always thought only ortho docs did the instrumentation stuff. Any info or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
            Go with an Orthopedic Surgeon who is SRS. I went to a Neurosurgeon first and he said he wouldn't operate on me unless I was in a wheelchair. The Ortho Surgeon I finally went to told me that the Neurosurgeon I saw doesn't even do scoliosis surgery. I wonder why the Neurosurgeon didn't tell me that? I think he was an arrogant SOB!
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
            X