No announcement yet.

FAO BigBlueFrog - RCS brace and double curves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for reference, this week I talked with a VA orthotist that many on this forum have highly recommended and he quoted me $3,800 for a Cheneau brace and it included all visits while my daughter is wearing the brace. He recommended a visit every 4 months. He said that insurance may pay $1,800. He mentioned one orthotist in CA that may be charging $5,000.

Does anyone know if the Cheneau-Light is available in the US?

Comment

thanks Pooka for looking out for us...I agree that the cost of the brace is outrageous....

This whole scoliosis deal is fustrating because there is so much variation in treatment and EVERYone has a say in what is the Best treatment.

Orthopedics ...believe in Surgery and Bracing

Scroth ..believes in Chaneau brace and specialized PT

Spinecor ...believes in dynamic brace...allows movement with correction. the big note is to avoid muscle atrophy/weakness.

Scroth doesn't like Spinecor because it compresses the spine....with shoulder straps..their goal is to elongate the spine.

My Orthopedic says don't waste your money on these treatments...and likes the Boston brace.

Its enough to make your head spin....lol

I was trying to weed through the posts here and find who had success with their treatment...who had a similar curve as my daughter.
      I was very happy with the Schroth Rehab in WI. She even improved her posture and grew 1/2 inch.....
      age 15
      Daughter diagnosed at age 13
      T20 l23 10-09
      T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
      T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
      T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
      Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
      Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Thanks for sharing that study Pooka, It was very interesting. 25% improved and some were aggravated.

The trouble with bracing is it corrects the curves by putting pressure on certain areas but can disrupt the natural back curve/ sagittal curve is looking from the side. Interesting this article mentions that, my chiropractor mentioned that too. One of the troubles with bracing is muscle atrophy and some curve changes with the saggital curve...and here you mention it too. I thought that was interesting tibit....because I did not know that before.

Bracing can help too...it appears most of the people in the study were successful 25% improved, and some stay stabled...those are successful in my book.
        age 15
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

Hi

sorry I have been away for awhile..family things.

I believe the rigo chaneau is a brace designed by Rigo in Spain. And Chaneau is a type of brace. The reason Schroth PT like the brace is because it has spaces in it. So it exerts pressure on the curves but has spaces or openings to allow the person to do more of a belly breathing technique.

With the Boston brace its more of a corset type brace and hard to expand the stomach muscles.

Despite this, I consulted with the Orthotist who fits for this brace and after reviewing her xrays stated he would fit her with the brace but didn't believe her curve would improve with the use. I was discouraged by that and decided to go with the Boston brace and do PT therapy Schroth. And IMT massages.
          age 15
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010

Type 1 diabetes- pumping

Comment

Working...