Parent advice needed; 7 more days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent advice needed; 7 more days!

I only have 7 more days until my spinal fusion!! I dont have any emotions towards it... Is this normal?! I have to my blood tested at CHKD on Thursday and I'm not look forward to it one bit! I think thats when reality will set in for me. ): If there are any parents on here please reply! is when I'm going through normal?!

I think it's normal. Both my kids were like that. The second kid had an advantage because she was able to talk to the first kid. But the first kid didn't say much and appeared very brave to everyone. She did not talk about anything though I am sure she was a little afraid... that would be normal.

It was easier for both girls (and their father and myself) because we really had no choice. They would be dead from this it seems if they weren't fused. Some families do have a choice.

Good luck. You will be a star.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thank you for replying !

I'm glad to here that everything went well and that I'm at a normal state of mind. (: I'm going to be the first in my family to have it and my older sister will have it in May.
      We don't really have a choice either. I only have a C-curve in my lumbar, but it will progress upward as the curve gets worse as I age.

I'm glad you responded and I am very glad that everything went well (:

Comment

Glad to help but I'm sorry to hear your sister will be fused also. But you both will be stars. This surgery is the only hope for some kids and adults.

You will be the pioneer in your family and be able to talk to your sister about what it is really like. My second kid who went through it felt very prepared after talking with her sister about everything that happened.

Everything will go well for you and your sister. The thing that got me through the first kid's operation was extreme confidence in the surgeon. The thing that got me through the second kid's operation was seeing the result in the first kid... she looks and feels normal. Both my kids feel and look normal now. They have moved on from the surgery in particular and scoliosis in general.

You and your sister will also.

Good luck to both of you.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by KateScoliKid View Post
          I only have 7 more days until my spinal fusion!! I dont have any emotions towards it... Is this normal?! I have to my blood tested at CHKD on Thursday and I'm not look forward to it one bit! I think thats when reality will set in for me. ): If there are any parents on here please reply! is when I'm going through normal?!
          Whatever you are feeling or not feeling is normal. Kids/teens deal with things very differently than we adults do.

I told my daughter before her surgery, that it was my job to worry and if there was anything I thought she needed to worry about, I'd tell her. I assured her we did everything in our power to find the best surgeon for her and therefore, there was nothing left to do or to worry about.

I, of course being a mom, worried like crazy while she was in the O.R. (what else did I have to do, right?) but that's to be expected.

Good luck on Thursday.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Awe thanks I hope everything goes ok tomorrow aswell! I'm glad everything went well with your kids! I really hope my mom doesn't work to much while I'm in the O.R. I mean I know she and my dad won't be able to help it but I don't like people worrying about me so much... ):

thanks again for replying! And thank you for the advice

Comment

Good luck tomorrow. We'll be thinking about you. If possible, have your parents or someone post for you to let us know how you're doing.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My 15 year old daughter Kate had her operation about 9 weeks ago on November 23rd and she was amazing and didn't get too stressed about the operation. This was very surprising as she gets very stressed over other things especially about exams. I've spoken to her about it since and she said she doesn't know why she wasn't worried about the operation. The whole experience has even cured her fear of needles - before the operation she hated them and now after everything she has been through needles aren't such a big deal. Even looking back she doesn't have many bad memories from her experience in the hospital - I think the medication she was on helped with the pain and helped cloud her memory of a lot of that time. Four days after her operation she started worrying about an exam she had done three days before the operation and it was then that I knew she was getting better. We are so amazed with the results of Kate's operation and how quickly she has bounced back. Good luck - I'm sure you will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                X