scoliosis/stenosis surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Theresa,

What is shea butter? I have always laid on my side to sleep. Will I have to lay on my back for a while? If I lay on my side, will that be difficult at first? Does that pull on my back?

Thanks for your response. It eases my anxiety. Maybe the biggest thing to handle is anxiety! Thank you Valium.

Judy
    24/35/57 deg
    posterior surgery
    scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Theresa,

Are you still unfortable lying on your side now?

Letty

Comment

anxiety

Hi again Judy. No problem about posting. We are all in this together! (and goodness, do I know what you mean about lifting kiddies. My sister has two, and it kills me not to be able to hoist them onto my hip like I used to.)

About anxiety. Have you ever tried practicing some meditation? I took a short class in mindfulness meditation, and it really increased my ability to order my body to relax. My class used a book called "Full Catastrophe Living," which was an interesting read. The guy who wrote it is Jon Kabat-Zinn, and I believe there are even special tapes for people preparing to go into hospital, having surgery, etc.

Just a thought!
        Take care. ~Laura
        30y/o
        Upper curve around 55
        Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hey Judy and Letty,

Shea Butter is a really, really thick cream. You can get it at just about anywhere. The one that I liked best was from The Body Shop. The ones from Walmart and Bath and Body Works were to thick. I didn't lay on my side for about 4 months. I always slept on my side also. Are you having anterior surgery or just posterior? The reason I couldn't sleep or lay on my side was due to the incision from the anterior surgery. The incision is on the right side, starts just under my right breast and goes up around to the right should blade. I was able to lay on my left side about a month before the right side. When you start to lay on your side, put a pillow in between your knees. That way it doesn't pull as much. Now at 6 months post op I can turn from side to side in my sleep. It's still not perfect but getting there. I still can't lay on my belly. It feels like a ton of bricks pushing down on your back. I had the doctor prescribe me Ativan for anixety before and after the surgery. It really helps and lets you get the sleep that you need. Hope this helps. Theresa
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

shea butter

I may have already asked this. Right now my mind is a bit scattered. I can't imagine why?! What is shea butter? Where do you get it?

I started taking Valium for anxiety but it puts me to sleep. Have you tried anything that helped for pre-op gitters?

Thanks, Judy
            24/35/57 deg
            posterior surgery
            scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Beginner!

Theresa and Letty,

Sometimes my mind scares me! I couldn't find the rest of the messages. I finally noticed - page 2. Daaaa How could you sleep on your back being used to laying on your side? Is there anything to help while on your back? Do you need a pillow under your legs? It sounds like people can really feel the metal in their back. Does the heaviness give you a problem?

Today is the final visit to the surgeon!

Talk to you soon! Thanks again.

Judy
              24/35/57 deg
              posterior surgery
              scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Irmb,

Thanks for the advice. I have done a lot of meditation. Unfortunately I am Bi-Polar and my reactions are always a bit more than I need. On a very anxious day, it will last about 10 seconds. Otherwise, I do take time to breathe and visualize. Thanks for reminding me to take the time to do it! I will make sure I take the time today and until 11/5.

Judy
                24/35/57 deg
                posterior surgery
                scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Good morning everyone,
                  My medication has been increased and now includes Oxycontin, I must say that it helps me a lot so that I can continue to do things that I love such as some light gardening or mowing the lawn (self propelled) and some short distance walking. But it does nothing to assist or improve the breathing difficulties, shortness of breath. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have lived a pretty normal life that involved all kinds of activities including sports, and military life after my surgery. I do not have a rod because of the date of the surgery and because it was experiemental surgery at that time (54). I do not wish for any surgery now because of my own experience with surgery and the medical model, that is my choice. Depending on your own determination, motivation and support from close family or friends how your return to what ever normal is, God Bless and remember your back is behind you.
                  Live long and prosper!

Comment

Judy,

Yes, I used a pillow under my legs for about 4 months. It feels funny at first then it really became quite comfortable. You're on so much pain medicine that you don't realize that you're on your back. I only remember the last few days of being in the hospital. I was in for 2 weeks. Even the first few days at home were a blur. I took Ativan for aniexty before and after the surgery. Good Luck on your surgery if I don't hear from you before you go. Theresa
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Last visit to the surgeon

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for the advice. From what I have read, I need to have a lot of pillows around. My surgeon said my degrees are 24 cervical, 35 thoracic, and 57 lumbar. It will be a posterior surgery. Now I am in the attitude of "just do it." We are visiting family next week. That will be a help to keep my mind off of it. My surgeon, who only does spine surgery, does one of these surgeries every week. That are that many people out there!! His name is Dr. Glenn Minster out of Detroit.

Reading your message sure makes me feel better. I think I am really letting myself soak in what people are saying. I was too anxious at first (of course).

Take it easy,
                      Judy
                      24/35/57 deg
                      posterior surgery
                      scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Kathleen,

Did you see your surgeon on Friday? Did you get the info you needed or wanted? From all the info I have heard, it sounds like eventually you can pretty well do what you want. I talked to someone who had this done several years ago. She scuba dives and rides horses!

It is hard deciding. Good luck.

Judy
                        24/35/57 deg
                        posterior surgery
                        scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Letty,

How is the 'other' cool grandma? As you may see in the other note, my degrees are 24/35/57. The surgery will be posterior. And I am ready. I guess I got tired of being so anxious. Why hold onto that? Ha! Really, I still am anxious but not as much. My surgeon uses the projected bones from the vertebrae for grafting. He said that I won't need those anymore. Has anybody heard of that? If he does not have enough he will then take it from somewhere else.

Have a good day. Judy
                          24/35/57 deg
                          posterior surgery
                          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Judy...

As far as I know, surgeons have been using the spinous processes (the part of the spine that can be seen when one bends forward) as fusion material for a long time. I had it done when I had my surgery in 1992 (along with bone taken from the iliac crest), and as far as I know my surgeon still uses the technique. However, a surgeon here in the San Francisco area, who trained at Washington University in St. Louis (which is a highly respected spinal deformity clinic), told me awhile back that this technique was no longer being used. I either didn't ask him why, or have forgotten why.

I think that removal of the spinous process may be thought to cause some instability, but that's just a guess. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to hear.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

first surgeons visit

Judy and all:
                              Friday I met with Dr. Shelokov in Plano, Texas. He said I had a
                              difficult back because a previous fusion of L4/L5 and sub-
                              sequent infection had inadvertently caused fusion on vertically
                              to probably T9; my curves are 75 and 80. He created the operation as we looked at my x-rays Noted best course would be NOT to try and straighten my total back, instead to balance my head correctly over my hips by cutting into the vertebrae most curved.This would prevent me from continuing to lean forward. He said my hips would be level. I haven't asked how he would approach the lumbar region-I'll ask next time. I am scheduled for a milogram and a pulmonary test, then back to see him. He then gave me a pain prescripton for vicodan, swooped out of his chair,gave me a big hug and said, "everything is going to be fine, we'll take care of this."
                              . Kathleen

Originally posted by judy
                              Hi Kathleen,

Did you see your surgeon on Friday? Did you get the info you needed or wanted? From all the info I have heard, it sounds like eventually you can pretty well do what you want. I talked to someone who had this done several years ago. She scuba dives and rides horses!

It is hard deciding. Good luck.

Judy

Comment

Dear Judy,
                                I am 50 years old and 4 months post-op. I have been wearing a brace when I'm up and about since surgery. I have always been able to get up and use the bathroom, etc. for short periods of time without the brace. This week I will start weaning myself from the brace. I cannot drive yet because I can't get into our van without a step stool. I should be able to get in once I'm out of the brace. It seems that each day I do something "new". I am extremely stiff all over when I first get out of bed. I take one pain pill and head to a hot shower. Then I do my exercises; I started physical therapy three weeks ago. After that I begin to feel better and loosen up. Then I normally get in my brace. That part of my routine will be changing. I find that I can do little things in the kitchen and around the house and then I find my back getting sore so I rest awhile. I am back to doing just my own laundry. My family has been a tremendous help and I couldn't have done it without them. My stamina is low to moderate but I had huge surgeries. Three of them in the course of one week. A total of 28 hours. I was in the hospital for five weeks. I developed an infection which I am still taking antibiotics for but hope to stop soon after I meet with my doctor next month. So I may not be the best person to compare with. I think you will recover quicker and have an easier time than I did. Even though it was very difficult I am so happy I went ahead with the surgery. I no longer have a large lumbar hump on my back or the constant lower back ache. Hope this helps you get a picture of what it's like afterwards and good luck.
                                susan

Comment

Working...
                                X