Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally close to seeing my surgeon

Hi Everyone:

I am so glad you at least have found someone to do your surgery Judy I have sesen 2 surgeons - one twice and neither was interested in helping me - now I am seeing a third on Nov 15th and have waited almost a whole year to get that app't. I am 51 and my curves are 60 and almost 40 and I am in constant pain which is now affecting my day to day life. I know this one probably won't do anything either as I have gained weight over the past few years and now have both heart trouble and type 2 diabetes which will impact everything. I am so fed up with my situation now as I can't walk or stand for much more than 15 min and even laying is a bother - if I lay on my right side my ribs hurt and on my left side my leg falls asleep and gets very painful, even sitting at the computer is short lived these days. I guess you can tell where I am at , up ubtil a few years ago I was really active - skiing, swimming etc but since 1998 my thoracic curve has progressed from 37 degrees to almost 60 as of last year. Surgeons are just in short supply here in Canada and I don't have any coverage or money to even consider coming to the states. Anyway I will be praying for you girls having surgery soon and those of you recovering. Keep us up to date on how things are going and any questions and answers you come up with. I need all the info I can gather between now and my app't to put on the table.
    Take care and thanks for listening to my rant - LOL I do feel better.

Nancy
    Nancy

Comment

Judy,

The other cool grandma here is still undecided. My decision will be based on cosmetic reasons (big hump on the right side of back) as well as fear of future problems. My thorasic curvature went up from 53 to 67 degrees in a few years. Besides, T3 to sacrum is quite long. Doctor will do both anterior and posterior. How can't I not have second thoughts? Right now, I play with my grandkids (ages 3 months, 1, 2 and 3 years. I garden, walk a mile a day, go to work (although I wish I'm retired but they say I am too young ) Surgery is the best option for some but in my case, it sure needs a lot of thinking and prayer.

Susan, I really appreciate the info you provide to us on the surgery and recovery.

Regard to you all, nice people there (Linda, Laura, Theresa, Connie, Nancy, etc.) I'm sure I missed a lot of names but I really appreciate all of you.

Letty

Comment

Originally posted by judy
        I talked to someone who had this done several years ago. She scuba dives and rides horses!

Judy
        Judy, can you put me in contact with the woman you refer to above? I am waiting on a referral for surgery, and am searching for someone who scuba dives post-fusion. You/she can e-mail me at cowprintrabbit@hotmail.com

Thanks, Christine
        Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
        Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
        fusion T5-L3
        Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Thank you

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the great replies. I will write in more detail tomorrow since it is midnight and I need my rest.

The last couple of days I keep crying. Probably because I am totally scared. It just comes so let it pour. (ha)

Take care gorgeous women!

Judy
          24/35/57 deg
          posterior surgery
          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by letty
            [B]Judy,

How can't I not have second thoughts?

I can only say what made the difference for me were two things-
            finding a surgeon that is suppose to be the best of the best and my last round of PT didn't hold. That was my last option and it was gone. All that was available would be the shots which would be a bandaid and he thought that it would not help too much. In the meantime my back would continue to get worse. So I thought "why wait."

I had to set my mind to it. Once I decided, I felt good about it. Now of course I have extreme anxiety and tears but that will be gone. And I know through all these feelings that I still have made a good decision for myself.

Judy
            24/35/57 deg
            posterior surgery
            scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Time Away

To all my helpful friends,

I am leaving town today to go to St Louis MO which is my home town. We will return Monday nite (to Detroit). Then 4 days until surgery. I will be talking to you then!!

Hope everyone is OK.

Judy
              24/35/57 deg
              posterior surgery
              scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Time Away

To all my helpful friends,

I am leaving town today to go to St Louis MO which is my home town. We will return Monday nite (to Detroit). Then 4 days until surgery. I will be talking to you then!!

Hope everyone is OK.

Judy
                24/35/57 deg
                posterior surgery
                scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

My prayers are with you, Judy. I am sure you're making the right decision. You will be okay, my friend. Keep in touch as soon as you can.

Letty

Comment

Letty,

Thank you for your precious words. This time I had a happy cry and felt the warmness.

Judy
                    24/35/57 deg
                    posterior surgery
                    scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Good luck Judy! We will all be thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you once you are through the other side. Take heart and stay strong. We are all with you along the way. ~Laura
                      30y/o
                      Upper curve around 55
                      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Best wishes for a fast and a pain free recovery, remember we all must advocate for ourselfs and do what we feel is the right thing for us now and the future. No two surgerys or disabilities are the same, no ones life or everday independent living barriers are the same, we are individuals with disabilities or challenges that we can overcome with faith and determination.
                        God Bless and a speedy recovery....
                        Live long and prosper!

Comment

Surgery is near

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for your prayers and help that you have given me. Talking with you has made this time prior to surgery so much easier and informative.

Tomorrow I will do the last minute errands. Then off to the motel by the hospital and be at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. Friday. Surgery at 7:30 a.m.

Talk to all of you on my road to recovery!

Judy
                          24/35/57 deg
                          posterior surgery
                          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Judy my dear, I will be thinking about you tomorrow and my prayers will be with you. Your operation will be successful and your recovery will be fast. And of course, you will be very very happy with the result. This is very prophetic and it will come true. God bless you.

Letty

Comment

Working...
                            X