stiff neck can barely turn head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff neck can barely turn head

Sooo, my lastest complaint is that for the 3-4 days I can barely turn my head. It hurts in my left mid back, left top of shoulder ,left side of my neck and even into my face at times. I had this happen 1 other time years ago and it eventually went away. I;m trying to ride it out. I thought it was oringinating in my neck but I was gently palpating the top of the fusion and found the trigger point to most definately be there at the top of the rods and radiating to the other areas. Maybe the muscles are growing back together and just irritated? That's what I'm hoping. I have not done anything strenuous to hurt it. Like I said gonna try and just rest it out with the heating pad.

2000- spinal fusion w inst. t-2 L-4
    2002 top1/2 rod removal due to rods loose
    2004 bottom rod removal due to pain
    2007 spinal fusion t-9 to L-5 due to kyphosis and leaning forward(made it worse)
    2008 internal bone stim removal
    2009 oct 15th rod removal,repair of fusion new rods t2 to pelvis with osteotomies

Sorry to hear about your pain. I think the heating pad is a good idea. Have you thought about a walk? When I swing my arms, I feel the pushing and pulling in my back, and always consider a walk to be exercise for the back muscles as well. It just might loosen things up?

Hope it eases soon, let us know?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for the response Jennifer. It's finally feeling a little better. I've been sleeping on my other side. I have an appt. in 2 months with my spine dr. if not completley gone by then will further investigate. Again thanks for caring. I know I complain alot but it has been a really hard couple of months...as many can relate blessing to everyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ldwest View Post
        Thanks for the response Jennifer. It's finally feeling a little better. I've been sleeping on my other side. I have an appt. in 2 months with my spine dr. if not completley gone by then will further investigate. Again thanks for caring. I know I complain alot but it has been a really hard couple of months...as many can relate blessing to everyone!!!
        I'm glad you're feeling a little better. I think that we are all a work in progress. With this surgery, our whole body is altered, a fact that gets lost on some people. Do whatever you have to do to make it feel better.

Don't feel bad about complaining; that's what we are here for.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

neck support

I too am glad you are doing better. I used to get those very stiff necks, and nothing seemed to help. I fairly recently started using neck support in my pillow at night. I just filled a sock with some dry beans, pinned the open end, and put it inside my pillow case. I know there are supportive pillows out on the market, but this adaptation is working well for me.
          1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I had this happen 3 times in one year, to where I could not move my neck at all. At first, an osteopath tried to blame it on carrying my toddler around. I carry her maybe 4-6 times a day for 30 seconds at a time (in and out of the car & crib) so that just didn't make sense to me. I finally got in to see my ortho who gave me the go ahead to get some PT. 6 weeks of PT and I was feeling soooo much better! My ortho said that things like this are expected since I'm fused up to T3.

I hope you get some relief soon. Don't hesitate to talk to your ortho about PT. It really has helped get me through some rough patches since having my surgery.

Comment

Working...
            X