Pain Meds..How Long???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Meds..How Long???

Dairriens surgery was December 30th,with a secondary surgery on January 3rd for fluid build up and to put a drain in..Ok so my question is..How long is the normal time to be on Pain meds?

Dairrien is still requiring Percaset...every 4 hours...and Flexerall every 12 hours..we tried Norco and it mae him very dizzy,and he couldnt walk straight..and he was in alot of pain..so he was put back on Percaset...

We still have not gotten a follow up appointment with shriners...and there has been several calls and messages left...?????? So right now we are just going through his primary care doctor until shriners makes him a appointment...

I was on Percoset and Valum for months, but I am a LOT older than Dairrien. I hope some of the parents of young kids can give you a better idea. I don't thnk I have heard of any of the younger ones needing pain meds for to long. Best of luck and I hope he is feeling better soon.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

First of all, please remember that every child is different, so I would say there isn't a "normal" time to be off pain meds. It has only been about 3 1/2 weeks since his last surgery.

Why is he in pain? Is the pain in his back? Is the pain caused by constipation? Is it really pain or simply stiffness? How does his incision look? Is it red or hot to the touch? I would try to figure out exactly what is causing his pain and if you are concerned about him being on prescription pain meds, try stretching out the length of time between doses as a start to wean him.

I know you've been going through your primary care doctor for meds, but have you thought about having him check Diarrien? He might be able to talk to you and Dairrien and help with suggestions as to why he is still having pain.

I don't know what to say about Shriner's. Keep calling and if you have to, go over everyone's heads and go directly to a chief of staff or someone like that.

Sorry this is so long. Hang in there. How are you doing in all this?

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I don't think anything is "normal" for this kind of thing. Dairrien had a very extensive surgery and might need the meds a little longer than some other kids. My son took the narcotics for about 2.5 weeks and then only needed a little tylenol now and then. He walked a lot though - several times a day, we walked for the first few weeks and we built up how long and how far he could go. I don't know if Dairrien is or isn't walking a lot but I would definitely encourage it as much as possible. For some kids, walking can help as much as the pain meds once the initial surgical pain calms down.

I hope you can figure it out and get his follow-up appt. soon. We did not have to wait this long for Alexander's first couple of follow-ups. He was definitely seen sooner than a month after his surgery.

I also hope Dairrien starts to feel much better soon!
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Paula was on her pain meds for 5 weeks post op. Part of this time included weaning.

I tried to get her weaned off of them sooner, but the NP said not to be in a rush.

You have to gauge how he's doing. Hope all is going well with you!

Comment

Working...
          X