Whining about pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining about pain

I am going to whine for a moment about pain, I hope you do not mind. I really think no one can understand the whole pain thing until they have gone through something similar. I have Schuermann's Kyphosis, am fused T3-L2. My curve has moved up my spine and now is into my upper thorasic/cervical vertebrae. I saw Dr. Bridwell a year ago, and he said he felt that he could help me and would extend my fusion up to or into my cervical spine. However, I then had several serious health problems come up, so no surgery. Plus, it is over 5 hours from my home, which scared me, being that I would be in the hospital for at least 16 days.

Ok, anyway, I am sick of being in pain. Just so sick of it. My neck juts out so far, my neck and shoulders ache. And, to top it off, because my shoulders turn in from the kyphosis, I now have developed a tear in my rotator cuff and have nerve damage in one arm from a nerve coming from C-7. I will eventually need surgery for that, too. I get to the end of the day and can hardly move due to the pain. I have 3 boys, and that makes it so hard. I have yet to find a pain med that truly works. I can't take nsaids due to stomach issues. Tramadol is ok, but I don't like to take it while I'm at work. The shoulder guy put me on Neurontin for the pain in my shoulder and arm. That at least lets me sleep.

If someone said today that I could have the surgery tomorrow, I swear I would sign right up. I am really having a hard time dealing with this right now, probably because of the cold. I am usually a very optimistic person, and in the light of all the happenings in the world right now, this is pretty small. I just wish I could remember what it was like to have a day without pain.

Thanks for listening. Sorry about the long whine...

I am so sorry for your pain. You are right! Until you have had chronic pain you just can't understand. It makes everyday and every task a struggle. I hope you find the relief you need. Maybe you should look into taking something a little stronger just until you can hopefully get yourself corrected. I "whined" about my pain on here just a few weeks ago! We are hear to listen and support because many of us can relate! Blessings and prayers!

Comment

Hello There,
      Yes, I can relate. Just today I called my dr again. I can't stand the pain - every day and every da y. If I have a bad day at work anyways, the pain seems to just make it excruciatingly worse. And, for me, evenings are the absolute worst. Sometimes I just give in and go to bed. Only to spend most of the night sitting up in bed if its' real bad. What to do? How does a person deal with this much pain and stay sane? After all, having gone through what all we have, I like to think we're all pretty strong already.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

May I add here, also, that it now hurts my back to talk, laugh or even sniffle. Oh good grief! Is there really relief in sight????
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Oh I do understand! It's not just the pain, but the disability too that is so rough to deal with. I have some of the same problems as you. Have been having a hard time sleeping at night. I hope you can come to a decision as to what you want to do. I have surgery scheduled for March 18, my doc has worked with Dr Bridwell and I think you would be in good hands with him if that is your path. Good luck.
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I'll apologize now for all the questions I'm going to ask.

How old are you and when was your spinal fusion? How long after your fusion did your junctional Kyposis start? What degree is the Kyphosis in your upper thoracic and neck area? Why would you be in the hospital for at least 16 days?

The reason I'm asking so many questions is that your situation and my daughter's are so similar. Jamie too is fused from T3-L2. Her doctor took precautions to prevent junctional Kyphosis (that's what her surgeon calls the Kyphosis that developed after her fusion) and it still happened. The junctional Kyphosis started very soon after surgery and continued to progress for about a year. Her surgeon too, recommended surgery, but we weren't ready to deal with that so soon and thankfully it stopped progressing. To me, her Kyphosis is very noticeable in her neck. Fortunately, though she never complains about pain.

Again, sorry for so many questions. Don't ever feel you need to apologize for whining. We're all hear to listen even if we don't have any answers for you.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Naptown- A question

Are you by chance in Indianapolis? That is basically where I am. If so, I'd love to know who your doctor is. I'm not thrilled with the last guy I saw here, and am trying to find someone local. Would you mind sharing?

Comment

Answering questions

How old are you and when was your spinal fusion? How long after your fusion did your junctional Kyposis start? What degree is the Kyphosis in your upper thoracic and neck area? Why would you be in the hospital for at least 16 days?

I will do my best to answer your questions. I am almost 43. I had my surgery in 1989. My original kyphosis curve was 108'. I don't remember what the current curve measures. My neck curvature is a feature of the Schuermann's, not due to anything else, from what I understand. Rarely, lucky me, it moves up the spine after the original curve is fixed. I would have to be in the hospital for 16 days due to the following- I would be in halo traction for 9 days before surgery to stretch out the spine and neck, then in for about 7 more days after surgery.

I hope this answers your questions. I also hope your daughter's curve in her neck stops progressing. Thank you also for your kind words.

Comment

Thank you and yes you answered my questions.

Sorry you were one of the "lucky" one whose Kyphosis moved up into your neck. 108* curve! Jamie's was only in the 70's before surgery. 16 days in the hospital makes sense with the halo traction.

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                  X