Surgery is done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jaci...

I'd guess that whether or not they would have to fix it would depend on whether it affected Nichole's pain or function. They might even do it just for cosmetic reasons if that's important to Nichole.

I'd like to remind that you that it was just a guess on my part that she might have too much kyphosis. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

***I'd like to remind that you that it was just a guess on my part that she might have too much kyphosis. :-)***

I know. I will find out for sure next week. I will probably post the outcome of the follow up visit...

Comment

Hey Jaci,

Just wondering how Nichole is feeling, and how your follow-up visit went with the doc.

Susanna
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Susanna!

Thank you for asking! Nichole is doing pretty well. It is about 6 weeks out now from surgery. She complains of shoulder pain, but I think that is from using muscles she didn't use before....her surgeon said it is a normal complaint. She went back to school about 4 weeks post op and has done really well with that. They have her go to the library now during her regular P.E. time. They told her if she wants to, she can come help out in the office if she feels up to it sometimes.

We went for our second post op visit last week and when the surgeon came in and was talking to us about her latest xray, he mentioned that her "bottom" curve - which he originally said was compensatory - changed a little from last visit and there was some rotation. They fused from T2 to T12 and he said he could have gone a little further down, but opted not to because he felt it had a good chance of not getting any worse and he didn't want to limit her mobility if he didn't have to. He thinks the change is due to her body balancing out from the surgery. But he also said she has "quite a bit of growing to do so we are watching it". I was a little taken aback by this comment, because the day we were told she needed the surgery, he pointed on the xray to her pelvic area and said it showed she was mostly done growing. I'm trying not to worry about this bottom curve now, but it is hard! She really seems to be doing very well though. I am not sure I would be doing this well after all she has been through!!

Jaci

Comment

I forgot to say, he said her surgery reduced her hump, but didn't take it away - she will always have it. He didn't feel she was hunched too much, and I don't think she is doing it as much now either. I think maybe she was carrying herself in a guarded way because of the pain.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X