No announcement yet.

Need Answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah from what I understand, the machine gives a 2d image immediately to the tech. performing it, and then can turn it into a 3d image. When it takes the xray, its almost like youre in a small closet, and it takes the xray all around you. Its pretty cool. Here is a couple links....

www.biospacemed.com

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lxijQyKLQc
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Comment

Mike--Thanks so much for that info. The video is pretty amazing. I hope I get to use it for my year check-up. This should really help what they are able to do for you. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

wow...very new age-ee! too bad it cant make my crooked back look straight!!

thanks for the info, mike

jess

Comment

I'm impressed with you all's x-rays preop and ten to see your x-rays postop. Keep those coming. It's nice to see how others have been helped. I hope to be in those shoes someday soon.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Not sure if this will work Rita, but here goes:

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...dy005Small.jpg

and

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...dy003Small.jpg

and

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...dy004Small.jpg
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

beautiful, JenG...so very straight! amazing...it looks great!

congratulations on going thru it & healing!

jess

Comment

Well Im going in for a pulminary function test today...After that, Ill be making an appointment with Dr. Bridwell again to have a myelogram done in St. Louis. I was just reading about those, it sounds like it going to be a real pain in the butt. Have most of you had to have one done too?
                37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                Scoli pics

Comment

I'm still trying to work out how to post mine. Should call my 5 year old step granddaughter!
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
                    Well Im going in for a pulminary function test today...After that, Ill be making an appointment with Dr. Bridwell again to have a myelogram done in St. Louis. I was just reading about those, it sounds like it going to be a real pain in the butt. Have most of you had to have one done too?
                    Mike...

The CT/myelogram I had wasn't painful. It was a little uncomfortable having to get in various positions on a hard table, but the procedure where they inject the dye was a piece of cake. I think you may be thinking of discograms, which are supposed to be very painful.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think what Linda says is right - probably just uncomfortable badly laying on that hard table for any length of time. I know for me taking x-rays can bring me to tears, especially MRI, where you can't move at all. My back just does not take to laying on that hard table for any period of time at all!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46

Comment

yea rita, the MRI i had to do was absolute torture. I couldnt make it through the thoracic MRI. I had to have them take me out because i couldnt lay still on the table anymore...
                        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                        Scoli pics

Comment

Hey Mike
                          i had a myleogram a few years ago..ditto what linda said...i was really scared, but it wasnt bad...& i mean i was TERRIFIED beforehand! but it was not bad...you have to lay still afterwards for a few hours, so you dont get the dreaded headache that can happen with any change of pressure in the spinal column...it can happen with spinal taps, etc...but i stayed still & was fine...

however...if you had trouble laying on a table with a plain old MRI, i worry that the table will feel too hard on your back...i find that part difficult with any procedure requiring laying on those hard tables! i would suggest you try to discuss this with the office of the radiologist you will be going to....

best of luck
                          jess

Comment

Yea...we'll figure something out. I had my pulminary function test yesterday, everything was good. I also got a call from Dr. Bridwells office today. They want me to see a cardiologist out there, too. Anyway, Ill be going back out there from March 2nd thru the 5th. On the 3rd, Wednesday, Ill have the myelogram. Thursday Ill be going into the Operating Room to make sure I fit on the surgery table( I am 6'9"), and he also wants to look at my pedicles with a floroscope. Then on Friday I guess the plan is to discuss the plans with the doc as far as where we go from there. Hopefully we'll set a date for surgery.
                            Last edited by osumike; 02-17-2010, 05:28 AM.
                            37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                            Scoli pics

Comment

Surely there is some other way to do it rather than to have someone with 100+ deg curve lay on that horrible hard table.
                              Rita Thompson
                              Age 46

Comment

Heading to St. Louis in the morning for a bunch more tests. Wednesday is a CT-Myelogram, Thursday is ANOTHER Echocardiogram, Dr. Bridwell wants to look at my pedicles with a floroscopy, and to see if I fit on the operating rack, AND I have to get ANOTHER MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine. Friday is mettings with the cardiologist and Dr. Bridwell again. Whew! Full schedule!

What I really dont understand is why they need me to do another MRI, since I just had one done a month ago at a hospital near my house. Can they really differ that much from one place to another? Can anybody that has had surgery in St. Louis tell me if they required you to have one at their facility also? I could barely make it thru the last one. Im not looking forward to this at all.
                                37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                                Scoli pics

Comment

Working...
                                X