No announcement yet.

Need Answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea thie trip to see Dr. Bridwell was awesome. That place is absolutely amazing. It just seems so efficient and state of the art. Even down to the parking. Anyway, we were in there for 4 hours and 40 minutes. As soon as I got in there to check in, they had me go across the hall to get some xrays. The machine that took them was something ive never seen before. I stood inside this thing, and it took the xray like all the way around me if that makes sense. I think they called it an EOS machine? They were the clearest xrays ive ever seen. So then Dr. Bridwell came in and really seemed to be studying them and said id be fused from T3 to Pelvis with the anchors. I also have some spurring around the T5- T6 and degeneration around L4- L5 i think. He also said I have ( something displasia)? I cant remember what he called it. Something about a sack that is enlarged around my spine that is expanding and willl make it a little harder to do the sugrery. maybe one of you can help me out with that one.

I asked about a thorocoplasty to fix my right rib hump. He said if thats what I wanted, he wouldnt do it all at once. He would fuse my thoracic curve and perform the thorocoplasty, then fuse the lumbar about 2 years later. But in the meantime, I would still have lower back pain. So im kinda split on what i want to do. Id really like to have the hump gone, but I really want to be out of pain too.

So in the mean time, he ordered a pulmonary function test, (which Ill do here in Ohio), then I have to go back to St. Louis to get a myleogram. Hopefully within the next month or so. i guess then we'll decide what we want to do as far as surgery goes. Im really leaning toward having the full fusion to be relieved of pain, and worry about the rib hump later.

Thats all for now, if I think of anything else, you know Ill put it up here.

And no, we actually beat the snow! It started snowing like right after we got home monday night. Now we have about 10 or 11 inches on the ground. NICE!
    Last edited by osumike; 02-10-2010, 10:16 AM.
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Comment

Oh yeah ...a few more things...Dr. bridwell measured my curves at 66 thoracic and 66 lumbar compared to 65T and 55L that Dr. Orr measured at the Cleveland Clinic. Also, on the scolimeter, the thoracic was 29, and lumbar was 12.

And for anyone going to St. Louis for surgery or consults or post- op or whatever, you HAVE to go eat at Pappys Smokehouse! Its been on the travel channel and Man vs. Food- The food there is EXCELLENT! Its not too far from Bridwell/ Lenkes office or any of the hotels you might be staying at. www.pappyssmokehouse.com - check it out!
      Last edited by osumike; 02-10-2010, 08:31 AM.
      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
      Scoli pics

Comment

wow, mike..sounds amazing & so advanced!!

if it were me, i'd go for getting rid of the pain...but i am older...cant remember your age...still...if you could be free of pain, that would be such a blessing! it sounds like you have some serious stuff going on.....

it is such an important decision! i know you will make the right one for you!

best of luck
        jess

Comment

Wow - Mike. Glad you liked St. Louis. I did, too. They are state of the art I am sure. They treated me beautifully and I had no doubt that Dr. Lenke knows exactly what he's doing. Dr. Bridwell impressed me, as well. I had them both looking at my awful back! They are both very professional and knowledgeable. Yeah, aren't those x-ray machines wild? I had never seen anything like it either. I was impressed. And, if I don't have to lay on those horrible hard uncomfortable tables for any length of time I'm happy. My back does not like laying down on those tables!!! I'm scheduled for surgery in St. Louis in July, but I am hopeful they will get a cancellation for me sooner. Crossing my fingers - crossing everything.... I didn't have much of a decision to make once I made the trip to St. Louis. Dr. Lenke told me exactly what needed to be done and I had no problem understanding the importance of getting it done. I'm glad you liked them.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Mike--We'll be fused almost the same. I'm intrigued by the EOS x-ray machine. That must be really new since last Feb. and March when had surgery it was still the old style. I would have loved to have that. I didn't know to ask separately about the thoroplasty of Dr. Lenke. I do still have a rib hump but nothing as bad as before. I don't think he would do it anyway. I had so much rotation also they had enough to deal with. It sounds like you are really ready to go. Fabulous! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm not quite sure whether you mean you can have the thoracoplasty and fuse the thoracic area or be fused T3-pelvis in one go without the thoracoplasty? I am fused T4-pelvis with no thoracoplasty and my rib hump has gone. Dr. Askin said it would remove 60% of the rib hump and I was happy with that, but it's 98% gone. There's only the very slightest rise, which I can feel but it's not visible.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Mike
                No thoracoplasty for me either, and no rib hump. I wasn’t really concerned with the hump, it was about the pain.

We will be similar also, you will be one level shorter, but have a much longer construct.

Ive attached my x-ray, so you can see my anchor screws. They are the really long ones at the bottom. The are 8mm dia. The rest of my hardware is 6mm. Any mention of going in from the front?

Ed
                Attached Files
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Nope. Dr. Bridwell said it would be all posterior. And yes Jennifer, thats what I mean. I thought Ive read alot of you saying the rib hump basically disappeared after the spine was de- rotated. Im definately doing this to allieviate the pain, but yea, no more hump would be nice.

Ed, I think you posted that picture somewhere else, I wasnt sure if it was you. The long anchors dont bother you ever?
                  The doctor said that when I lay on my stomache on a flat surface, that gives a pretty good idea of how the rib hump will look after surgery without thorocoplasty.

Also, Dr. Bridwell mentioned he wouldnt be taking bone for a bone graft. Said he uses Bone Morphogenetic Protein. Anyone else heard of this?

I dont know. I really appreciate your input though!
                  Last edited by osumike; 02-11-2010, 03:11 AM.
                  37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                  Scoli pics

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
                    Oh yeah ...a few more things...Dr. bridwell measured my curves at 66 thoracic and 66 lumbar compared to 65T and 55L that Dr. Orr measured at the Cleveland Clinic. Also, on the scolimeter, the thoracic was 29, and lumbar was 12.

And for anyone going to St. Louis for surgery or consults or post- op or whatever, you HAVE to go eat at Pappys Smokehouse! Its been on the travel channel and Man vs. Food- The food there is EXCELLENT! Its not too far from Bridwell/ Lenkes office or any of the hotels you might be staying at. www.pappyssmokehouse.com - check it out!
                    Wow Mike,
                    66T and 66L is EXACTLY what I measured prior to surgery. Sounds like you had a great appointment. I hope you can get a date set quickly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
                      Also, Dr. Bridwell mentioned he wouldnt be taking bone for a bone graft. Said he uses Bone Morphogenetic Protein. Anyone else heard of this?
                      Yes, I had some BMP used during my surgery, as well as some of my own bone that he snipped off my fused levels (I forget what they call that.) BMP is supposed to be VERY good at causing fusion.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Mike

I show off my body when ever possible. It’s a Tim Allen complex I have, you know, "hey, check this out" rraaaooouuuugggghhh! LOL Its like showing off one of my hot cars. 650hp, supercharged, and check out the suspension! Well, you might say my anchor bolts are part of my modified suspension.

We should have a forum x-ray show.....like a beauty contest. If you trip on the catwalk, you will get DQd. LOL

================================================

The long anchors made my hips sore in the first few months, but now I don’t feel them at all. I don’t feel any of my hardware.

I had NO bone used on me at all. Only BMP, dripped into sponges, inserted into 13mm peek cages, or spacers. No bone means no digging on the hip or taking a rib or using any bone broken off my vertebrae. BMP fuses in 6 months, vs 12 months for non BMP fusions. Here are links.

Ed

https://www.infusebonegraft.com/how_infuse_works.html

https://www.infusebonegraft.com/bone..._proteins.html

http://www.back.com/article-infuse-s...?infusebox=yep

My x-rays

Comment

Mike--I had the BMP too. I think he and Lenke both insist on its use. It's very expensive but very good for fusing. Mine was mixed with my own bone from osteotomies and thankfully nothing taken from a hip or rib! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Here is an Xray from that EOS machine in St. Louis....
                            37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                            Scoli pics

Comment

Mike

Very interesting T10 and T11 shapes....

Thx for posting
                              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

wow, Mike...wicked looking lumbar curve...my lumbar curve is 61 degrees, but i dont think it looks near as bad..however, i know i am in denial about it...i am fine until i SEE my x rays...then i break down & am in tears....i think it is because once i see them in black & white, i realize why i am always in pain in that area of my back, & cant deny how bad it really is!!

i am just wondering...that fancy new x ray machine...EOS, is that what it is called? is there any difference in the resulting pix...or is the difference just in not having to lay down on those uncomfortable tables for scans? what i mean is...is it the method that is different..or does it also give a different result?

best of luck with your surgery plans..

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X