No announcement yet.

Need Answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fused from T-1 to L-5 at the age of 45 in May of 05, ant/post.

I can say that I can still golf. I have to use different clubs, to get the distance I used to be able to get.

It took me a couple of years before I actually got on a course, but only a few months before I picked up a club to see if I could still swing. I could still swing w/o strength at first. It's different now!!!

In case you are wondering,
    Shari

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
      would you go to NYC....if so, there are several excellent surgeons there...

jess
      Absolutely. Im pretty much willing to go anywhere.
      Originally posted by Shari View Post
      I am fused from T-1 to L-5 at the age of 45 in May of 05, ant/post.

I can say that I can still golf. I have to use different clubs, to get the distance I used to be able to get.

It took me a couple of years before I actually got on a course, but only a few months before I picked up a club to see if I could still swing. I could still swing w/o strength at first. It's different now!!!

In case you are wondering,
      Shari
      O yea, Im wondering. I really do love playing golf, but like I said before, Id trade it for a new back any day.
      Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
      Still unsure of post-op numbers
      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
      Scoli pics

Comment

Hi Mike....
        in NYC....Dr Lonner is an excellent scoli surgeon....you could also call Dr Neuwirth's office for an appointment....then there is Dr Boachie, who is one of the best anywhere, but i dont think he takes insurance....i think it would be smart to try to schedule a consultation with at least one of those 3

jess

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
          You just completely convinced me to call Dr. Lenke's office. I djust did, I got registered with the lady that answered the phone, but his medical assistant was out for the day. Ill call 1st thing in the morning.\

One more thing, after Orr said all that to me, I told him I disagree with him and would like another opinion. Then I said Dr. Lenke's name to him, and he said that "absolutely he would give a reccomendation" to Lenke for me. So thats cool.

Laura, how long was it between the 1st consultation with Dr Lenke and the surgery date? Im really just hoping I dont have to wait a real long time. Im ready for it now!
          Mike, I hope you have been able to schedule a consult with Lenke by now. I am so glad you are not taking Orr's advice! I really wish I would have done my surgery years ago...to heal easier. I'm 49, but am in good shape so should heal quick I hope! My original meeting with Lenke was last June. My surgery is coming up...March 31st. I think he's well worth waiting for. He's "The Man" and many, including Orr have studied with him and attended his lectures. Keep me posted!
          Laura
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hey Mike, I just saw your post about your consult scheduled. Don't worry...they originall told me I would have to wait one year for surgery, but actually moved it up. They do have people back out and cancel, so what I did, was call them once a month to see if anything opened up..and sure enough, they got me in a couple months early. It's worth it!
            Laura
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Ya actually I havent got a consultation scheduled with him yet. Cleveland just faxed everything over there this morning. Hopefully Ill hear something by next week.

About Lenkes lectures and seminars, Dr. Orr told me that Dr. Lenke is coming to Cleveland I think next week maybe, for a scoliosis seminar. Man, too bad I couldnt just meet with Lenke while hes here.
              37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
              Scoli pics

Comment

Wow!!! I would LOVE to sit in on that seminar!!! I'm sure they would never let a patient sit in...but they should! They could use us as demonstrations! Stay on them about getting your consultation scheduled, Mike!...you won't be sorry!
                Laura
                62 degrees
                49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

I'm with you on that one Radiogirl. In my case they could show before and after!
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Well....I received a call from Dr. Lenkes nurse this afternoon. After talking for a while, she said the 1st available new patient opening wouldnt be until May. After that, he is scheduling surgery for about a year out. A YEAR. Im not sure I can put up with the pain for that long. It seems to get worse by the day.

So then she transfered me to the nurse of Dr. Keith Bridwell. I set up a consultation for Feb. 8th. I have never heard of him, but she told me he is a world renowned scoliosis surgeon, and Dr. Lenke apparently trained under him. Ive since read a few things about him online, and its looking really good.

Do any of you know or have had surgery by him?
                    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                    Scoli pics

Comment

I just searched some old threads on here about a Dr. Rohmiller at the Cincinnati Spine Institute...Anyone have any experience with him? Or how about a scoliosis surgeon in Indianapolis maybe?
                      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                      Scoli pics

Comment

osumike,

Bridwell is an excellent surgeon - and definitely a good option for an alternative consult.
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

I FINALLY figured out how so resize these xrays to put on here...
                          37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                          Scoli pics

Comment

Just looking at your x-rays, brought back memories of the pain i was experiencing pre-op. Are you on any pain meds? I agree with you regarding the pain getting worse each day. Daily i thought to myself - surely this doesn't get any worse! WRONG.... for me it did.
                            I spent much of the week before surgery either lying down in my bed or on the couch! Hope you have some help with that pain. Take it easy and good luck with your appt.
                            Vali
                            44 years young! now 45
                            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                            Post -op - 5 degrees
                            T11 - S1 Posterior
                            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Vali View Post
                              Just looking at your x-rays, brought back memories of the pain i was experiencing pre-op. Are you on any pain meds? I agree with you regarding the pain getting worse each day. Daily i thought to myself - surely this doesn't get any worse! WRONG.... for me it did.
                              I spent much of the week before surgery either lying down in my bed or on the couch! Hope you have some help with that pain. Take it easy and good luck with your appt.
                              Yep. 10mg. percoset and 800mg. skelaxin. It helps but I find myself taking more than prescribed some days because I hurt so bad. Not fun.
                              37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                              Scoli pics

Comment

hey mike
                                that thoracic curve looks wicked! really bad...you have my sympathy on the pain!

i just quit oxycontin this week..day before i flew to CA to see dr anand...it wasnt killing the pain enuf, & it had me so tired all the time..physically exhausted, not sleepy...so i couldnt get out of bed til 3 in the afternoon....no way to live! now i just take the generic norco...10 mg...i need over 4 a day, but it works better than the 30 mg oxy i took twice a day before...it is just alot of tylenol in it..that is why i switched to oxy....cant believe that up til not quite 3 yrs ago, i worked 2 stressful jobs in manhattan! 7:30 a.m. to 3:20 p.m., & then 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m......i used the distraction of work to help distract from the pain..but wow, how it hurt whenever i sat down!!

i hope you find the right doctor for the job & get this taken care of when the time works out for you! i know how it is living with chronic constant unrelenting pain!

do you know if you have disc degeneration or herniated discs...., or is it all from the scoli?

best regards
                                jess

Comment

Working...
                                X