One week after Meredith's surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One week after Meredith's surgery!

Her surgery was on Tues 1/12. She spent 5 days in the hospital and now we are recovering at home. The surgeon was able to correct her 61 degree thoracic curve down to a 15. We were thrilled. So wonderful to have it behind us. She is on Vallium and Oxycodone for pain meds. I believe they are workng as well as can be expected. She has alot of discomfort and has a hard time getting comfortable. Often complains about her shoulder blades. Can anyone give me any advice on this? We are using a heating pad which seems to help. I'm also having a challenging time getting her to walk. She just wants to lay in bed all day. I know it's all part of recovery. God is Good!

Mandy is reading this and said she is anxious to see these replies as she is facing the same things right now.
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Skarcher...

Skarcher so happy Meredith is doing so well !!!

Hope her recovery contunues to move along smoothly..

..I think I know you from the good old Great Lake State(wink, wink, wink)

Comment

Hi,
        so glad to see all went well for Meredith!
        you know Skye also complained about the shoulder blade hurting.. I forgot about that and forgot to ask the doc at the post-op ...I just gave her gentle massages and once her meds kicked in she was fine..Skye was on Tylenol w Codine (wonder drug) - I encouraged her to lay down as much as possible (even though I do not see that as the concensus on the forum ) and I propped her up with as many pillows back and sides as she wanted until she was comfortable.. If you want to get her walking around... Invite friends over Skye came ALIVE when she had guest! Moving so fast I had to remind her to mind her steps.

Comment

Mandy's shoulders are hurting from having to pull on me to get up. We keep trying different hand holds as my two rotator cuffs have been torn so we are both in pain at this point She is up in a chair today for a while but not liking it. We have to go back to the Dr Monday for a follow up visit, 1 1/2 hour drive ONE way. That's going to be rough.
          Mandy does ok walking, it's the getting up and getting back down that's the problem. She is down to taking Lortabs app every 7 hours and the occasional ibuprofen. Even turning over on her side in bed while asleep!
          You are right .GOD IS SO GOOD!!!
          "With God All Things Are Possible"
          Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
          to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Heating pad? O:

I'm very happy for you two! I'm reading through these fourms because I am also waiting for my surgery date to come along! February 9th, and the wait is so nerve raking. ):
            I am going to tell my mom about the heating pad idea! I hope she has a fast recovery! (:

-Katlin

Comment

Working...
            X