Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandy's surgery is over!!!!

Mandy's surgery is over!!!!

5 hour surgery but everything went fine.She is in a private room in the step down unit so NO ICU!! She is sleeping well waiting on her pain pump to get hooked up but not really needing it yet. Thanks for all the prayers!!
    They did T-5 to L-3.
    Gina
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Hi,
    Im syd and Im happy that everything went well but what surgery did she get?

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    Hi,
    Im syd and Im happy that everything went well but what surgery did she get?

Mandy had a spinal fusion with instrumentation and is fused from T5-L3.
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Oh okay hopes shes okay though and also im gonna be getting that surgery too soon and I am not so sure what fusing is too I have been looking for someone that had it to talk to them about it . Well im sorry to hear that she had to get surgery and hopes she is gonna be great after she has healed!

That's fantastic news Gina. Hope she continues this path of a smooth recovery. Best wishes.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Congrats Gina and Mandy. Great news to hear she's doing so well.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Hoping for a speedy recovery

Great to hear! Hope everything goes smoothly!

Glad to hear that so far all went well

Hope ll continues to go well

My prayers are with you both

Melissa

On the healing side - best to Mandy for a smooth recovery.

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    Oh okay hopes shes okay though and also im gonna be getting that surgery too soon and I am not so sure what fusing is too I have been looking for someone that had it to talk to them about it . Well im sorry to hear that she had to get surgery and hopes she is gonna be great after she has healed!
    Syd,

When are you having surgery? My daughter had surgery over 5 years ago, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of parents here who will try their best to answer your questions.

If you want to talk to other kids/teens who have had a spinal fusion, then you might want to check out Spinekids. It is similar to this one, but it is mostly kids/teens. Some wear a brace, some are facing surgery and others have had surgery. You are welcome here, but I know my daughter found Spinekids very helpful to talk to kids her own age.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Syd,

If you want to talk to other kids/teens who have had a spinal fusion, then you might want to check out Spinekids. It is similar to this one, but it is mostly kids/teens. Some wear a brace, some are facing surgery and others have had surgery. You are welcome here, but I know my daughter found Spinekids very helpful to talk to kids her own age.

Mary Lou
    Just saw that you've found Spinekids. Hopefully they will be able to answer some of your questions from a kid's perspective.

Mary Lou

She had a good night. A little nausea and is running a fever but Dr said to expect that. Her o2 sat and respiration got low low last night while she was sleeping so they put her on some oxygen , but that was from being tired and on morphine. It's a wonder drug but SO strong! They will start taking her off of that once we get to 5th floor today, out of step down unit( a nice private room!!) She is checking texts and FB with my help so doing good
    Thanks for all the prayers.
    Syd, I or Mandy will be glad to answer your questions once we get home ;-)
    Gina
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Thumbs up You know I am Thrilled!

Yaaay! Mandy joins Skye on the otherside!!!
    Gina, I am so happy for you! I know it was tough as it was for me but God is faithful!! Oxygen yes not uncommon. Skye had it on for sleeping every night we were there ~ Give her best wishes from Skye who is bored to tears at home

Karen

Gina, I am so happy for Mandy and you that the surgery went so well and her recovery is off to a good start!
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Syd,

When are you having surgery? My daughter had surgery over 5 years ago, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of parents here who will try their best to answer your questions.

Mary Lou

Hi ,
    My daughter is 13 years old and she has congenital scoliosis and going to have surgery soon - spinal fusion as she has a hemi vertebre on her lumber spine. I have a question - what age your daughter had the surgery? How she is doing now? and Could you please let me know what are all the activities she is doing and is there is any restriction? I am very worried. Please reply.

Also i want to know that if the vertebrae that is fused give any problem later in life because the fused vertebrae wont grow anymore but the others do right?