Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery January 12th

Hi,
    We just found out in November that our daughter Katelyn has scoliosis and will need surgery. Her curves are T53 and L37. She is 10 and will have surgery next Tuesday at Children's Hospital Boston with Dr. Hedequist. He will fuse T5-L4. This is all so new to us because we didn't even know she had scoliosis. Her pediatrician said he doesn't know why but he never screened her. We do know she recently had a growth spurt and that explains why I noticed it when she was bathing.

I've read some of the threads about the surgery, and they've been so helpful. I'm nervous about her pain management, and constipation. She also has Down syndrome, and can tend to get constipated anyway. What types of pain meds do kids go home on? I remember how awful the Tylenol and codeine tasted and how I'll get her to take it.

Any suggestions or advice anyone has, I'm ready to listen!

Thanks!
    Pauline

No suggestions as we are facing this on the 14th with 11 year old Mandy and just learning ourselves . I will be praying for you though!!
    Gina
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

My daughter is also pre-op so can't answer your question on pain meds. There have been lot's of recent posts from those who have just been through surgery with discussions on meds and constipation. Look through the forum and you will get a lot of info. I'm sure many will chime in here also.

I'd like to add it took me a long time to be able to even research this after the shocking news - I was so scared for them (both my girls have scoliosis). We were not immediatly refered for surgery - it happened about a year after diagnosis for my youngest. I didn't get my strength to look into this until reading through this forum. Everyone here is so helpful, and continue to share their experiences (pre and post op) that it made it less scary.

I'm sure you will get the answers here. You are strong - stronger then I was at the begining. Best wishes to you and your family as you go through this.
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Hi Pauline,

My daughter Julia is 5 weeks post-surgery. She was fused T11-L4. She went home with oxycodone and valium (valium as needed for muscle spasms). She has been off all meds for about a week, except for an occasional Advil. She goes for a 30 minute walk every day, and today she went swimming. She still does get very tired and spends a lot of time resting. She'll go back to school Monday, one or two classes a day at first. As for the constipation - my daughter took Miralax the two days before surgery, but I wish we'd done more in advance -raisin bran, prune juice, whatever - because the constipation made her pretty miserable for a day or so.

We learned of her scoliosis about 2 years ago. it was a shock. Reading the forum really helped prepare us for the surgery and recovery.

I wish you and your daughter all the best, I'll be thinking of you.

Barbara

Comment

I remember how awful the Tylenol and codeine tasted and how I'll get her to take it.

Any suggestions or advice anyone has, I'm ready to listen!

Thanks!
          Pauline[/QUOTE]

Hi Pauline,
          My Dtr is 3 days post op - and yes she is taking the tylenol with codeine yes nasty taste (she takes the liquid because the tabs are huge and she has no experience swallowing pills that may sound odd, but thank God she has had very little opportunity to take pills. Anyway they are giving her a chaser of grape juice and she pinches her nose to swallow it quickly. As far as the constipation... they are giving her a stool softner now but I wish I had told them she cronic constipation they would have started a softner a couple days ago. So my suggestion is to give your doc as much info as you can and remind everyone everyday... of all her needs once in the hospital

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies!

Thanks, ScolioSkye2. I told them all about her constipation issues, but they didn't want me to start Miralax or anything now. I think they are afraid she'll get diarrhea but I know she won't. She does eat prunes, and I'm pushing fluids, fruits and cereal/bread with fiber. I think I'll get some prune juice today. I hope the stool softener works quickly! The kids are in enough pain and shouldn't have to deal with that too. I'll remember to offer Katelyn a chaser after the meds. Great idea!

Pauline

Comment

Barbara,
              She's swimming at 5 weeks! wow! We were told even no recess for 3 months after she returns to school. It does sound like she's still taking it easy. Katelyn's teachers are going to come to our house, so we'll see when she returns to school.

I think I may get some miralax today, along with prune juice.

I hope Julia continues to heal completely and quickly. Thanks so much for sharing.

Pauline

Comment

Hi ddb,
                I had a few weeks after learning Katelyn had scoliosis and needed surgery where I couldn't really focus on anything. Not good when you have 4 kids! It's kind of like grieving. You have 2 girls with scoliosis so that makes it a scarier thing to face.

Also, though, this is not the first medical journey Katelyn has had. She had Acute Lymophatic Leukemia at 2 years, 4 months, so we've been through something like this before, and know we'll come out okay. This forum really does help. I'm so glad people are willing to share. Thanks for your best wishes.

Pauline

Comment

Thanks for your prayers, Gina! I'll be praying for Mandy too. We have so many people praying for us, and it's just wonderful.

Pauline

Comment

Praying for your Peace today

Just wanted you to know that you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Karen

Comment

PRAYERS continue for you!!!

Comment

day after surgery

Katelyn had her surgery yesterday. It went very well. She didn't need a blood transfusion. She went in at 7:30am and was out by 12:30.

She was very awake right after the surgery and moving. She spent the rest of yesterday and last night very sleepy, and her pain was well controlled. She'll be sitting up and moving with help later today. She's working on the breathing exercises too.

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts!

Pauline

Comment

WONDERFUL NEWS!! Prayers continue!!

Comment

Originally posted by pmckive View Post
                            Katelyn had her surgery yesterday. It went very well. She didn't need a blood transfusion. She went in at 7:30am and was out by 12:30.
                            Thanks for your prayers and thoughts!

Pauline
                            Excellent News! so happy for you and her

Karen

Comment

Safely on the other side - excellent for you all!!!

Dee
                              Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                              Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                              Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Working...
                              X