Scoliosis Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Surgery

I am 63 years old and have been advised by two surgeons I need to have surgery to correct a 38 degree curvature (increasing now at about 2.5 degrees/year). The surgery would involve two surgeries in one hospital stay of about 7-10 days. Fusion would be from T12-S1. Does anyone out there have experience with Dr Tim Yoon of Emory Spine Center, Atlanta? Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar surgery.
    Last edited by gmw; 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

You've come to the right place to hear from patients who've had the same type of surgery as you. I hope also that some of them have experience with your surgeon.

Welcome, btw!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you hdugger.

Are there any forum rules about advertising? The first time I read the Doc's advertising I was actually interested. But he never answers any questions ... just flies by and asks us to drop in.

I'm just sayin'

Comment

I had a similar surgery so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
        Aug.17,09 Anterior
        Aug.20,09 Posterior
        Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
        Cedars-Sinai
        Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
        Husband married 30 years
        3 kids 29,28,25
        4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Thanks Sheri - but since the Doc has become a member and advertises from time to time .. I'd really appreciate it if he would respond.

Hope all went well and you are doing great!

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
            provided The Times with data last week that he will present at the SRS' international meeting next month showing that a study group of 24 patients who had curves averaging more than 42 degrees maintained deformity correction one year after surgery to an average of 6.5 degrees.
            What was the date of that article? Anand did not present at the 9/09 SRS meeting, and the SRS website shows the next international meetings in April and September.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hdugger -- Thanks for posting. I would like to hear about your surgery.
              Glenda
              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
              Pleased with outcome

Comment

Welcome gmw. I have had similar surgery to you also. Feel free to ask any questions that are concerning you. The extended 'Family' forum are fantastic and always willing to help. Ask away................
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                X