Joining the club...and fast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the club...and fast!

Wow--saw Dr. Lonner in NYC yesterday and it's look like he's going to be able to do my surgery Feb. 2!!!! I am the person who posted last fall after an app't. at Johns Hopkins and thought I was just going to kind of keep on keeping on. I am so very grateful to those people who said that was the wrong answer. My surgery will be huge--I'm at 60 Thoracic and 92 lumbar but I felt very good about Dr. Lonner and what he thinks he can do for me. It will be all posterior and all in one long procedure. It was a totally different experience than we had with the consult in Baltimore. I never dreamed this could happen this fast and I'm a little overwhelmed with what I've got to get done in the next few weeks. We are 4-5 hours away from NYC which make things difficult, too but we'll deal with it. I will probably be on here a lot in the next few weeks with tons of questions and needing lots of virtual hand-holding and encouragement. I know I can do this and I know in the long run my life is going to be better. I am so tired of being in pain. Even though I know there's a lot more to come, there will be an end in sight. This forum helped me find this Dr. and I don't think I would be doing this if I hadn't read all of the success stories on here.
    Anne

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Welcome Anne! We all need each other here for support, that's for sure! And you can learn so much from this forum. Good luck to you on your Feb surgery! Mine is in March! Keep us posted!

Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

At least you won't have long to wait Anne. Somehow all those things that need to be done, will be done or they won't matter. Ask as many questions as come into your mind, you know what they say: knowledge is power. Eat healthily and exercise as much as your body can tolerate. All the very best!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Met him Jan 6 and you set an appointment on Feb 2? I think that is better so there is less time to worry!

I met mine on September and had all my test/pre-ops and just finished the Surgery at the end of December. We planned the surgery within 4-5 weeks and barely got in. The sooner the better! That way you can enjoy your summer!

Good Luck

Comment

Hi Anne
          i love dr lonner...if i join the club..when i join the club...i will probably join with him...am going to CA jan 27 just to see what dr anand has to say about minimal invasive for me..but all nyc surgeons..excellent ones..say i cant have that...my low lumbar fusion needs dont allow for it...dr anand doesnt take my insurance, either..so it is just a consult...

always found dr lonner smart, very skilled, & very kind & compassionate! i think that you will be in the best hands!

will keep you in my thoughts & prayers for the best outcome & a future without pain...healthy & strong! i am off now to see my nyc pain management doctor....what i need in the mean time until such time as i have the surgery...

best regards
          jess

Comment

Good luck Anne,

I think it's a good thing that you don't have months to comtemplate and worry. Sounds good that it will all be posterior only. Those of us with that type of surgery seem to have better recoveries.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Welocme to the club
              I am having surgery March 12
              Ask all your questions
              These folks are great at answering them

Melissa

Comment

I guess I'm almost more worried about afterwards esp. a 4 hour car trip home. Dr. Lonner hopes to keep me for a wk. of rehab so that I am at least near his office for the first 2 weeks. Going home, I have a choice of Toyota Rav 4 or a Lexus with heated seats. Which would the post-ops recommend? At home, he wants me to have a hospital bed which just creeps me out. Not too long ago, we had to have one of those for my father to die in and it's just bothering me psychologically. My fusion will be T-4 to L-4 with all kinds of cages and other "remodeling", so I understand the need. How long do you think I would need that? And how long until you can be by yourself at home during the day? My husband is also a teacher so he's taking a family leave of absence. I have some great neighbors who are planning to be a support team as well. We're just wondering how long he'll have to be off.
                Thanks,
                Anne in PA

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                  I guess I'm almost more worried about afterwards esp. a 4 hour car trip home. Dr. Lonner hopes to keep me for a wk. of rehab so that I am at least near his office for the first 2 weeks. Going home, I have a choice of Toyota Rav 4 or a Lexus with heated seats. Which would the post-ops recommend? At home, he wants me to have a hospital bed which just creeps me out. Not too long ago, we had to have one of those for my father to die in and it's just bothering me psychologically. My fusion will be T-4 to L-4 with all kinds of cages and other "remodeling", so I understand the need. How long do you think I would need that? And how long until you can be by yourself at home during the day? My husband is also a teacher so he's taking a family leave of absence. I have some great neighbors who are planning to be a support team as well. We're just wondering how long he'll have to be off.
                  Thanks,
                  Anne in PA
                  I'd think the lexus is smoother, so go with that. I didn't need the hospital bed, and my fusion was very similar to yours. I wasn't left home by myself for at least 4 weeks, and that was just for maybe a hour or 2 at a time. At 7 weeks, my parents left and I was on my own, I was ok by then. I dont' know if you have kids that you're responsible for, but if you do, and you're on heavy narcotics, you don't want to be by yourself.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

The Lexus for the smooth ride. Even so, take plenty of pillows.

As for the hospital bed, I hope never to be in one again. They are so uncomfortable. I don't think these surgeons have ever slept in one. Perhaps he's recommending one because they can attach a handle to the side to help you pull yourself up to get out of bed? A solid piece of furniture beside your bed can be used in the same way. But ask him for his reasons before you make your decision.

I came home at 19 days and was alone from that day because my partner continued working. But he started very early and was home early. So I was alone from when I woke up until about 2ish. It was fine. He left food for me in the fridge and I was able to make myself coffee and tea.

I left my shower until he was home and he'd stand at the open door while I showered for the first couple of weeks when I was a little wobbly.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

HI Anne. I saw Dr. Lonner just last month and I like him very much. I also saw Dr. Boachie and I think ultimately I will go with Dr. Lonner, possibly this June (I am a teacher as well). I do have an appointment in March to see Dr. Lenke in Missouri because I've read such phenomenal things about him here. Each Dr. has a slightly different approach. Dr. Lonner does an all posterior procedure, but he said that he would be a minimally invasive anterior release by going in through the side. I felt very comfortable with the people in Dr. Lonner's office as well, which is a plus, but probably not a reason to choose a surgeon.

Keep us posted! All the best, Joy

Comment

Working...
                      X