Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skye post-surgery Update

Hi All (wrote at 9am)

Day two! well my goodness. Where to start... Skye's surgery took 2.5 to 3 hours Dr Laufer is simply amazing Skye pain level went from (1 to 10) "5" and by 3 hours later she was down to "2" and maintaining at "1" they just came in and lowered her meds to the button press only as the continuous is not necessary Anethesiologist (sp) say Skye read the text book and had an amazing surgery! Yaay!!! do you see me jumping! - So miss chatty called her friends yesterday, updated her FB (facebook) sent and read some text. I am hiding from her behind this curtain so I can get some REST because she is not groggy sleepy as I expected - 1 am mom can I get my phone... 3am mom can I check my FB I told her the electronics are interfering with the machines and we need to taper back...

No log roll (Anterior) placed on side.. hurt Skye? .... no.. They have even raised her bed so she can watch TV.. I am still in PJ's I asked her nurse what is customary time for parents to get dressed. He handed me a newspaper and said we want you to be as comfortable as possible - relax - don't tempt me!!

They are turning Skye at this moment and washing her back I heard little Oof. Her other Surgeon just left said chest doing great - turned off pump plan to remove tomorrow after chest x-ray

I will be in touch when they start getting her out of bed and out of ICU.

WONDERFUL NEWS!! Just what I needed to hear today!! I am so glad she is doing so well!!!!!!
    Prayer continue!
    Gina
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

That is SO great! It sounds like everything went extremely well and she's making great progress! Very glad to hear it. Haha, that's awesome that she's alert enough to send out text messages, make phone calls, etc. I called my friend my first day post-op and was completely out of it, so I said some pretty stupid stuff to her.

I hope she continues to do well! Now that the worst of it is over (not counting of course the hospital parade every morning at 7am and them coming in every four hours), you can relax a bit. She'll bounce back in no time!
      Last edited by danceISlife; 01-07-2010, 02:45 PM.
      Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Thanks guys
        Nicole! they are in here every 30 minutes it feels. now never a complaint out of me but extremely attentive. And Ladies... menses Yuuup brought on by surgery - She was taken off Oxygen but put back on said not setback just pre-mature take off as it was itchy to her nose big baby...Just now slight fever but they quick with the suppository not gonna let it gain any ground. I was concerned about the "parade" of doctors was taking names as I was like are bills going to show up at my house with these names on it... Hi my name is... wiggle toes... So finally I just asked our Nurse. He said no... they come with the ICU will be no separate bills I guess what I am saying is don't be afraid to ask... the only one offended will be you when the bill comes

Comment

Another update

Skye is progressing very nicely. Some pain that woke her from sleep at 5am but nothing a press on the button didnt cure. I love that they were so attentive. She said pain breathing in... they immediately ordered chest x-ray from which they get instant read on and saw everything fine... Thinking it was just time to remove the chest tube. Yesterday evening she received liquid diet (went well). Removed Catheter. Today full diet (so far so good) Removed chest tube..I braced .... for a non event. Doc says she is ahead of the curve doing so well. We are still in PICU but I think it's more of an issue with space in the Teens ward. Today they will get her up and into the chair. I am so looking forward to that because I feel all of this is nice but the proof is in how she does once on her feet.

Comment

Thanks for keeping us updated. I always look for the recent ones to see how they are doing and love to hear the great progress. I hope she can get up and moving soon to put you at rest about that. Tell her to keep up the good progress

Dee
            Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
            Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
            Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Skye is Up

Hey everyone.
              Update...
              Skye is eating full menu
              Up in chair they kept saying I know it hurts... well there was no hurting just the normal light headed woah and surprise that the body did not just work on its own.. she is wiped out after moving though... She went from bed to chair had to sit for 1 hour but they took off 10 minutes because she went from chair to potty (look at me I'm walking ) and back to chair -

We just did bed to potty and back to bed now for nice long nap... she is on liquid tylenol w Codine every 3.5 hours now they say she has to ask for the meds but for me to keep my eye on the clock and remind her of the time because not good to wait until full pain as it takes 30 minutes for meds to kick in.

We are packing to go to Teen floor yaay! hopefully by 7pm we will be there. Doc's projecting home on Monday. Say she is above the curve for recovery and nurses say she is the best Scoli patient they have ever had!

Whew you all KNOW how I am feeling! Thankful and greatful to God for answering all my/our prayers!

My next post will probably be her hall walk and stairs

Oh.. She was Fused T11 to L2 plus a cage (don't ask... I don't know ) but very small area for a great correction.. I won't know all the particulars until our first visit at Doc's office one week from Monday

Comment

Yaaaayyy!

Great news, good to hear!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

GREAT news!! You are giving us so much hope for next week. We needed this postive news!!
                  Mandy was trying on pageant dresses today. The pageant is 6 weeks after surgery...... Not sure she is going to be ready but she wants to......
                  Keep us informed please.
                  Any clothing suggestions for Mandy ( and me) ?
                  "With God All Things Are Possible"
                  Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
                  to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

What great news! So happy for Skye and you that her recovery is going so well!

Barbara

Comment

It gets better

Well we moved to Teen floor and they lifted the restriction on guest under 18 (h1n1 things) so she can have visitors...however we may be going HOME tomorrow She actually took a long walk today without complaint gets up like a champ for potty (I dont even call the nurses to help) I do it myself ~ She even took a long walk today, so proud of her and woah she noticed that she is "much taller than you now mom" and she is... I would say she is 5'6 and 1/2... everybody been real good about me snapping pics and video taping every milestone ~ oh and while the morphine (diliud) watch that spelling ~ made her itch (a common effect) they will gladly give benedryl... the Tylenol with codiene gives her the giggles she is getting 10mil not sure what they are sending us home with.

Tomorrow we will have to prove stairs, do some more walking, sit some more in chair and probably give up a bowel movement to get released but we shall see. She stir crazy and wants to go home... I think home is going to be a LOT of work for me but hey what are moms for? and I am ordering the Home Attendant for her for One week with the option to extend an additional week. The scar?.. I told her about somebodys (sharkbite and I won post) and she liked that a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
                        GREAT news!! You are giving us so much hope for next week. We needed this postive news!!
                        Mandy was trying on pageant dresses today. The pageant is 6 weeks after surgery...... Not sure she is going to be ready but she wants to......
                        Keep us informed please.
                        Mandy's going to do wonderfully well! Big smile the pageant... Skye went to beauty and the beast school play practice up until the Tuesday b4 surgery.. insisted knowing that she may not be able to participate in March.. but she like Mandy wanted the opportunity to try... I say sobeit.. cross that bridge when we come to it.. I have only positive thoughts and strong prayers for you and Mandy for next week!

Comment

Sssssh Not official until X-ray but WE ARE GOING HOME TODAY!

- WHEW! poor baby sleeping I didnt even wake her for bkfast. You cannot rest in Hospitals.. we had a very bad night will elaborate later but its time to GO! I asked Docs to prepare us and they don't see any reason why we can't.

TTYL. (talk to ya later)

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
                            Keep us informed please.
                            What to wear....Note to self as much as you will like to put her in her nice new soft comfy PJ's... save them for the walk of fame and remove b4 bedtime.. Skye got hot and sweaty and went into a ravenous scratching fit..last night She was so tired and delirious that she was ripping into herself. Snatching off the Oxy and heart monitor off (which the day nurse said they were not suppose to put back on her) every second and that darn monitor rang at decimals not fit for humans

Take several comfy sweatsuits for you things you pull on quick.. nice book. OH! and take a twin size memory foam or some kind of mattress pillowtop kind of thing.. as nice as it all is that windowbox bed is HARD as stone. You will hurt and she can sit on it for the ride home Take those nice slip resistant socky things (my best friends) Post surgery.. request the mouth sponge right away for Mandy if not offered, she will beg for water and it will be 3 days b4 she gets it. They will definitely allow the sponge on a stick. Oh and ask for vaseoline (I found the lip balm may have had drying ingredients) it did not work as good as it should.

Comment

All sounds good, Karen! Congrats to Skye. I hope that was the last bad night she has, home in bed will be much better.

Good luck for the trip home. Hope you don't have far to go. Being home will pick up her spirits. Remember to write down all meds and times taken so you don't forget and get mixed up. This goes on for a while so it's easy to forget if it's not written down.

Plenty of fluids, fibre and gentle walks. Some friends visiting might go down well too, but keep the visits short. Sleep will be her best healing friend.

You've made it!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X