No announcement yet.

Skye post-surgery Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, her recovery sounds fantastic so far!! (Well, aside from the one night, but that really doesn't have anything to do with her own individual progress.) Very happy to hear it! It's awesome that you're updating so frequently. Geez, what a compliment she got. I was probably considered one of their worst patients haha (the first few nights when i was in a lot of pain i wasn't exactly the nicest person lol...i felt so bad about it ha). I can't believe how quickly she was able to go home (I'm assuming from your post that she left today), that's great!! If she's doing this well now, don't worry, she'll probably recover at an incredible pace!
    Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Originally posted by danceISlife View Post
      Wow, her recovery sounds fantastic so far!! (Well, aside from the one night, but that really doesn't have anything to do with her own individual progress.) Very happy to hear it! It's awesome that you're updating so frequently. Geez, what a compliment she got. I was probably considered one of their worst patients haha (the first few nights when i was in a lot of pain i wasn't exactly the nicest person lol...i felt so bad about it ha). I can't believe how quickly she was able to go home (I'm assuming from your post that she left today), that's great!! If she's doing this well now, don't worry, she'll probably recover at an incredible pace!
      Thanks! yes we are HOME! my baby is in the bed sleeping nicely.. ride home 30 minutes was no prob we even stopped and filled her script at CVS - pain mgmt is key... if they have a good experience with that - they are so willing to progress. And if you can get friends to visit whew! I cannot believe what a inspiration that was. She pulled on hidden strength.

Comment

"sleeping nicely" in her own bed!

That kind of signals the worst is over, it's just time now. Congrats!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hoping all is going well during recovery. Please post an update when you can to let us know how Skye is doing.

Dee
          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Big Smile!

didnt want to hog up all the attention

Skye is doing wonderfully well. She is getting out of bed and walking on her own.. (I have not allowed her to do stairs alone yet ~ knot in my stomach everytime I think about it - We have reduced her medication to 1 Tsp every 6 hours and even then she is in no pain just discomfort. She is still pensive sitting and rising from (potty) but understandable... thats lower than a regular chair ~ We have our first Doctors visit on Monday and tutoring begins on Tuesday. The weather permitting I will take her for a walk outside to see how she fairs.

Only concern is that she walks with what I call a gansterlean the nurse at the hospital told me (even before I asked) that they all walk leaning into the pain (surgical area) for a while but straighten up once they begin to feel secure. I will update once we've seen the Doc I am praying that one leg is not longer than the other as that would open a well.... let me leave that alone

And thanks so much for asking

Comment

Great news!!!!!!!:d
              "With God All Things Are Possible"
              Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
              to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

I am so happy for you and Skye that her recovery is going so well!

At first Julia had a limp and just walked a little strangely, but already by six weeks she walks pretty perfectly. I can detect a slight limp sometimes but no one else seems to (of course, I am her mother!)
                Barbara

Comment

Loving her shape

Skye is loving her new look.. says I never knew I had hips! so cute! I try to get her to look at herself in full mirror to get her to stop leaning She wore clothes today sweatsuit. And had no meds the entire day. Just took 1 tsp at bedtime. We are excited about her Doc visit on Monday... Yaay!

Comment

Skye back to school

Whew! its been a minute! How busy life gets - Skye went back to school Monday - She is sooo excited to be out of the house she is doing wonderfully well. about 1/2 inch taller than me so she is bragging Doc does not want to see her again until June. Everyone is happy with her results she was L57 down to L15 (I think thats how to write it) He said he wanted to leave her as much flexibility as possible so did not go further. She is happy that her hips are aligned and there is no longer a hump on her back. So I am happy too. If we had it to do all over again.. YES. Anyone in the NJ area DR LAUFER ROCKS!!

Funny he was braced for all of my questions at that next visit. I had NONE (big smile) just a lot of thank you!!

Comment

WONDERFUL NEWS!
                      Aren't these young ladies AMAZING??
                      Gina
                      "With God All Things Are Possible"
                      Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
                      to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Working...
                      X