• Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the advice

I will be seeing my GP on Wednesday

Today is 8 weeks until the surgery

I do not know whether to be glad or sad

Melissa

Comment

I have gotten to a point now where I feel like I want the surgery to be NOW. I am busy with getting my house in order. If I have not mentioned it, I am a Stay at home mother with two special needs kids , who by the way are great kids.

I am at peace with the surgery . I read in the hospital book that they put the IV in while you are awake . I am going to ask them to give me something as I cannot get IVs very easily as I have no veins.

A very good friend is coming down from NJ and I have some good friends here in NC that are going to be with me.

I have to go shopping and get what I need for sleeping and clothing and what else you great people suggested that I get

Thanks so much

Melissa

Comment

As I said on another thread I'm so glad you have come to this point before surgery. You realize you're almost ready to take that first step before recovery can begin. It's a rather "freeing" feeling. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
          I have gotten to a point now where I feel like I want the surgery to be NOW. I am busy with getting my house in order. If I have not mentioned it, I am a Stay at home mother with two special needs kids , who by the way are great kids.

I am at peace with the surgery . I read in the hospital book that they put the IV in while you are awake . I am going to ask them to give me something as I cannot get IVs very easily as I have no veins.

A very good friend is coming down from NJ and I have some good friends here in NC that are going to be with me.

I have to go shopping and get what I need for sleeping and clothing and what else you great people suggested that I get

Thanks so much

Melissa
          Glad to hear it Melissa. It's amazing how getting things organised so you don't have to worry about your responsibilities and can just concentrate on your recovery, and having good support, helps to calm you down. I'm glad you have good friends who will help and support you.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have been reading The Scoliosis Handbook by Michael Neuwirth MD that someone suggested and the only two things now that are bothering me are the fact that they put the IV in while you are awake and that they roll you into the OR . As I have said before , I have no veins and it takes a long time to find a vein and it hurts!!! and I have seen the inside of many ORs for my children when they have had surgery. If I am awake when they roll me into the OR then I am really afraid that I will lose it and get hysterical. Why can't they give me what ever it is that they give children so they are asleep when they roll them into the OR and then put in the IV? Whom should I talk to about this?

Thanks for all of the great advice

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
              I have been reading The Scoliosis Handbook by Michael Neuwirth MD that someone suggested and the only two things now that are bothering me are the fact that they put the IV in while you are awake and that they roll you into the OR . As I have said before , I have no veins and it takes a long time to find a vein and it hurts!!! and I have seen the inside of many ORs for my children when they have had surgery. If I am awake when they roll me into the OR then I am really afraid that I will lose it and get hysterical. Why can't they give me what ever it is that they give children so they are asleep when they roll them into the OR and then put in the IV? Whom should I talk to about this?

Thanks for all of the great advice

Melissa
              Melissa,

Dr. Neuwirth was my surgeon and I read his book prior to surgery too. They did put one IV in me when I was awake in the pre-op area, but all the rest (and there were TONS of them) were put in once I was asleep. After the anesthesiologist was done talking to me and put in the first IV, he gave me what I called 'happy juice.' I don't know if they give it to everyone, but I asked for it. I do remember saying goodbye to my husband in the pre-op area and the fact that they started to roll to the OR. I don't think I ever SAW the inside of the OR because I was knocked out by the happy juice by that time. It seemed to me that the next instant, I opened my eyes and saw Dr. N and my husband in the recovery room.

Editing to add, I have terrible, small, tiny rolling veins too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Perhaps you could organise with your surgeon to have your pre-op tablet before you go to the holding bay? I can't see that it could hurt. I suspect they would be happy to give it to you if they knew you were feeling so very stressed. Surely a calm, sleepy or asleep patient is better than a hysterical one? I was given mine (when I asked for it) once I was in the holding bay and it put me to sleep within minutes. So I didn't experience the rolling into the OR or the insertion of the IV. I do sometimes think I remember the OR but I think it's actually a memory from a tv show! Haha!

Comment

I have an appointment on 2/24 to meet with my surgeon one last time to go over all of my questions about everything.

Now, I am getting excited like this is a vacation or a fun thing I am going on.

I just hope that I have written down all of my questions but I guess that I can call him if I think of one or two ....

Now I have to go shopping and get what I need for when I get home from the hospital so I am sure that I will have questions on that topic

Thanks guys for all of your help .

It was you that has calmed me down

Melissa
                  Last edited by mbeckoff; 01-21-2010, 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi I have 2 questions
                    Was there a weight limit on what you could lift and carry when you first had your surgery and did you need a walker and/or a cane when you first started walking?

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

hi melissa
                      most surgery procedures follow the same anesthesia protocol.....you can often get to talk to the anesthesia guy before the surgery & let him/her know of your fears...as soon as the IV goes in, the meds start flowing, then you are either a little high or completely knocked out......you can probably ask for a pre-op shot before the operating room...i have had those..they relax you...

also, i have tiny tiny veins...requiring baby needles or butterfly needles for blood tests...have NEVER had a problem with an anesthesiologist getting in my veins...it is what they do a for a living! believe, me, they have seen problem veins before!

i think that you are over-worrying every detail...maybe you can just leave the details of the procedures to the experts! just take care of what you will need to get your home/yourself ready!

jess

Comment

I have never had any surgery before; which is why I am very nervous about how it is done.I am also as everyone can tell a type A personality.I do not like someone else in charge of things that concern me.

I have my pre-op at the hospital March 1 and an appointment with my surgeon Feb 24 so I can get all my questions answered.

Getting to your next point I am doing just that. I feel like I am going to have a baby .I am nesting my house just like I did when I was about to have my first baby.
                        Then I have to go get any items that I will need when I return home.
                        In addition,I have 2 special needs kids who I have to figure out how to handle their needs while I am in the hospital

Thanks

Melissa

i think that you are over-worrying every detail...maybe you can just leave the details of the procedures to the experts! just take care of what you will need to get your home/yourself ready!

jess[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Comment

Melissa,I was scared to death to have my surgery too. I had a couple in the past.My GP gave me a prescription for ativan which helped alot in the weeks leading up to my surgery.I know its all your thinking about.I told my surgeon my fears and told him I did not want too see power tools or anything in the OR LOL....I have O.C.D. and I am a worrier.I had two surgeries.The first one they gave me something to relax me while I was waiting in pre op and when they were wheeling me to OR they gave me something else and I just remember laughing at one of the nurses and that's all I remember.And second surgery they gave me the same pre meds and I don't remember anything.I wish you luck with your surgery.
                          Aug.17,09 Anterior
                          Aug.20,09 Posterior
                          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                          Cedars-Sinai
                          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                          Husband married 30 years
                          3 kids 29,28,25
                          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Thanks so much Sherri

you describe me to a T

It is the fear of the unknown

Melissa

Comment

You're absolutely right, it's the fear of the unknown. That's why getting your questions answered is so important. You need to know everything. Well, that's how I was anyway. The more of a picture I had in my head, the calmer I became. It was my first surgery too.

Glad to hear you're feeling calmer and allowing yourself to feel a little excited - because it most certainly is an exciting event, one which is going to improve your life so much. Well, it does for the overwhelming majority.

Once you have your kids organised, then I'm sure you will feel even more comfortable.

Comment

Melissa,

I had to use a walk for 3-4 weeks post surgery.....it was a fight between my husband and I as to how long I should use it. He was so scared I would fall, the doc said that my husband should follow my lead as to what I felt was comfortable. Even now at 9 months post op I will do things and he will get upset and I have to remind him that if I felt I couldn't do it than I would not.

As far as lifting I think it was 5 pounds at first than it went to 10 pounds around 3 months. I will have to double check with my husband though because there is so much that is just a fuzzy! Every surgeon is a little different though on their own restrictions for their patients and I'm sure it depends what exactly you are having done. What will your surgery entail?

Hope this info helps a little :O) Take care.........
                                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X