No announcement yet.

I cannot relax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melissa, ask your surgeon what drugs you can continue to take right up to surgery day. I did, and was told to continue my mild anti-anxiety pills and my calcium, which I had been taking daily. Once in hospital, they take them from you and deal them out daily. I stopped my anti-anxiety pills that day, I never needed them again, all my anxiety was associated with the surgery.

But, there are some drugs you should not take for a fortnight or so before surgery, and I *think* Ibuprofen is one of them. A friend gave me Rescue Remedy (homeopathic) and my surgeon said not to use it.

Regarding your mother. My Mum died in 1999 and I think of her every day. Not so much with yearning any more, but with fondness. I don't think we ever completely get over losing our mothers.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Melissa
      i know aspirin products cannot be taken close to surgery...thins the blood, or causes bleeding, or something...anything containing aspirin is a no-no...not sure what else, but am sure your doctor can tell you...

i know what you mean about wanting your mother there with you! i lost my mother a very long time ago, but i still have those feelings sometimes...even the longing, at times...i dont think we can help it...

you will be in my thoughts & prayers when you have the surgery...for a good outcome, for smooth healing, & for a pain free life!

best regards
      jess

Comment

Hi Melissa, when i booked in my date for surgery, the surgeon asked if i was on any medication, i was only on Pulmicort as required, however he wanted to know about any naturopathic supplements as well. I was surprised to learn that you had to stop Fish Oil tablets before surgery, as they thin out the blood. You should let your surgeon guide you as to what to continure taking and what not to. Your letter from the anaesthetists office will usually inform you of the kind of OTC or prescribed products, you can or cannot continue taking, they are probably your best guide.
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

pre-op appointment

I just got a call from the hospital

I have to go March 1 for my pre-op appoitment

Now I am really feeling anxiety.

I need to get those pills. I have to wait until next Wednesday.

What is the Pre-op appointment all about?

Should I bring someone?

She said that it would be 2 hours long

What do they do for 2 hours?

Thanks

Comment

I didn't have a pre-op appt. I saw my surgeon in June, then the next time was in March, Day 2 post-op! But it seems most do have pre-op appts during which x-rays are taken, blood drawn, questions asked, forms filled, and possibly an ECG. I don't know why I didn't have one, there were lots of aspects to my surgery which were outside the norm. I'm not complaining though, I'm very happy with my outcome.

There will be plenty of folk come along soon to tell you about their pre-op appt.

Comment

I'm so sorry you're so restless! I had surgery in September of 2009 and I was worried not as stressed as you but worried and concerned none the less. I did break down one night because I looked at my calendar and couldn't believe my surgery was less than a month away and I was really upset and scared! But then again if you're getting surgery its coming either way. I had my time to cry to worry and then I got on with it. I talked to a lot of people including my family, boyfriend, and friends and it felt good every time I talked about it. I don't know where you're located but I also went for walks by the beach to mellow out and do nothing except walk really. You don't want to be stressed to the point where its affecting your health before something like this because surgery is a big stress!!!! I hope that helps and that you find some relief soon.
              Maliha

Comment

Hi Melissa
                most pre-op appts are the same...they are checking to see if you are healthy, if your lungs are OK for anesthesia, etc...usually blood work, x rays, ekg to check your heart..rest assured pre-ops are common for all kinds of surgeries!

i have not decided on surgery yet...it is the deciding that has me a little crazed...i think that once i decide, i will be ok, but i would probably be just as nervous about the surgery once it was scheduled...i think you have probably considered all your options & have good reason to feel that surgery is the best option for you...changing your mind or delaying would not benefit you in any way..the sooner the surgery, the sooner your healing...

i wish you all the best...know that lots of thoughts & prayers will go your way...have trust & faith in your surgeon, & all will work out...& check out those anti anxiety meds...walks on the beach sound great...too bad new england is in the throes of a wicked cold winter! hope you live somewhere a little bit warmer!

jess

Comment

Somehow I just lost my post! I hate when that happens. Lots of what Jennifer G said was what I experienced but my surgeon also allowed many tests to be done in my hometown--that kept me busy for a while. I know that day I had x-rays and got to ask all of my last ?'s. We also spent a lot of time with his nurse. She gave us info on places to stay for my husband etc. I think I may have mentioned the book and tape I used a couple months before. Someone reminded me it was the Peggy Huddleston book and tape and I found it on Amazon I think. I read it all and followed the tape. You may want to do that--I found it did refocus and relax me. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                    One of the reasons that I feel so anxious is that I am sad that I will not be able to do much if any gardening this year. Down here in NC, the season starts in March/April and there will not be any way possible that I will be able to get any plants into the ground. Last year was the first spring/summer that we lived here and I had so many ideas for areas that I did not get to last year. SO now, I will have to wait until next year which is a long way away

Melissa
                    Melissa,

You will do what you are able to when you can do it, and for everything else, I promise, you won't care as much as you think you will right now. You might think I'm oversimplifying for you, but having this surgery and going through the recovery really makes you realize what is important and what can wait.

You can do it, I know you can.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I got a script of Kloplin 2mgs and took it last night.

I hate it . I could not stay awake today. Is that a side effect?

I am still asking for a script for paxil.

Comment

i think it can be...different people react differently to klonipin....paxil is an antidepressant that some people find hard to go off of once they want to quit...are you sure you want paxil?

jess

Comment

well, if klonipin is what has made me feel like this all day . I don't know if I have a choice

I am not taking it again until i see my doctor.

I cannot function like this. I was falling asleep all day and feeling very dizzy and tired and wider

What would you suggest that I take?

Comment

Ask about 2 or 5mg valium or a shorter acting benzo to help you sleep but reducing the long lasting effects, like temazepam.
                            Last edited by Jimbo; 01-14-2010, 12:35 AM.
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I wish I could remember the name of the drug I was on. It didn't make me drowsy, but I did sleep better. There seemed no discernible difference except I didn't spend all day worrying.

Comment

Ativan can also work. It's actually an anti-seizure med,but works fairly well for muscle spasms and "nerves." Worrying doesn't help when facing a big procedure. Try to take life one day at a time. It's all we have, today!
                                Les
                                Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                                Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                                T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                                Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                                Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                                Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                                Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                                Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                                Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
                                X