• Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of your great suggestions

Today I really felt better

I got my kitchen back in order after all of my holiday baking

I ordered the books

Melissa

Comment

Try soaking in a hot bath to relax. I like to sit in my favorite chair with the heating pad on my back when I have pain. It helps me to relax (I often fall asleep!). Recovery depends a lot on how fast your body heals. Back when I had surgery, I had to stay in the hospital for 1 month and wore a plaster body cast for 9 months. Being 16, I didn't let it slow me down. When I had my revision surgery, I was in the hospital for 4 days. I had a husband and 2 teenagers to get home to. My husband bought us a new house 2 weeks later. By 6 weeks post-op, I was painting walls and cleaning our new house.

When my daughter had her surgery, she went back to school in 8 weeks (she had it over summer vacation). She was back dancing at 3 months. Having a positive attitude and not letting the little things bother you help a great deal in your recovery.

The best thing to do pre-op is to make and freeze all of your favorite meals so that all you have to do is pop them in the microwave. I made 3 weeks worth. Then if you feel like cooking, you can otherwise pop something in the microwave. Have all of your comfort foods in the house. Also make arrangements to have someone clean your house for a few weeks. Good luck
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Karen, I think xanax is a horrible drug. Now that I'm taking paxil, it is 100 times better and very calming. I've had a personal crisis in the last year, but I think the paxil will be very good for me as I prepare for surgery. I am trying to use the treadmill when I can, but I find it hard after working with children all day. I just had a session with a pilates instructor and I found it very difficult, plus I couldn't understand half the things she was saying. She told me that everyone is confused in the beginning. Is this true? I have an appointment with someone else for an introductory session next week. Joy

Comment

aww melissa,

I had to be put on paxil and the doctors want me to take my klonopin Monday before I go in. I have been a nervous wreck. I try to put it in the back of my mind..but if I wasnt on this medicine I think it would be 10x worse..Please talk to your GP about getting anxiety medicine..The added stress is no good and you don't need to go through it if you take these..I wish you the best of luck..you are in my prayers..
          xox megz

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
          Fused T2-Pelvis
          Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

I am going to talk to my GP about Paxil

What does klonopin do ? My children used to take it for sleeping

Thanks for the prayers

Are you having surgery Monday?

I will keep you in my prayers as well

Melissa

Comment

In reference to the scoliosis surgery book. I ordered it off line and had to give it to my mother..I cried after reading it..I wasn't able to sleep for two nights..It really affected me reading that. I think because I had the fears that those things could happen to me. Idk maybe it may help some but I had to goto the Dr's and have my paxil adjusted bc of it =/

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

omg klonopin totally relaxes you. I used to get really bad panic attacks after my dad died..so they prescribed this to me and it takes away any symptoms of having a panic attack. I used to take it when I felt one coming on and I would never get it after taking it. Now I use it If I know I am going to be in a stressful situation like monday when i have my surgery..Or when I feel really anxious. Its like a dark cloud over you has been lifted..Hope that helped

27 year old female
                Upper Curve 110 degrees
                Lower Curve 90 degrees
                Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

So I am going to discuss with my GP what she thinks I should have
                  Either Paxil or klonopin.

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

When do they make you stop taking your regular drugs?
                    The ones you normally take?

Melissa

Comment

they told me to take it the day of my surgery with just a sip of water, before I came in. It would help me relax while I was there and then I guess they give you some "cocktail" and that will help you a little while waiting as well.

27 year old female
                      Upper Curve 110 degrees
                      Lower Curve 90 degrees
                      Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Thanks but I mean the drugs that I take all the time

like my lyrica and my cymbalta and my migraine drugs ; etc

Melissa

Comment

One of the reasons that I feel so anxious is that I am sad that I will not be able to do much if any gardening this year. Down here in NC, the season starts in March/April and there will not be any way possible that I will be able to get any plants into the ground. Last year was the first spring/summer that we lived here and I had so many ideas for areas that I did not get to last year. SO now, I will have to wait until next year which is a long way away

Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa
                            i think if you speak to your doctor about mild anti anxiety meds, they could find something appropriate for you...also, the small vein thing..i am like that too, as was my mother...if they can use baby needles to get blood out, it really helps...my veins usually collapse when they try to use bigger or normal size needles..also drink alot the day you have blood drawn for any reason...
                            i am still considering surgery for fusion..but was told by several surgeons that a relative could donate, or they can use bank blood...it is all screened nowadays...

i hope you find some calm before the surgery, cause i know how exhausting worry & anxiety can become...it is really true about exercise, if you are not in too much pain to do some....if you are in too much pain, as i am, you could try to get mentally tired before bedtime..sometimes reading does that for me...

best of luck
                            jess

Comment

Thanks

I have an appointment next Wednesday the 20th to speak with the doctor about some meds.

I have decided not to donate my own blood. I cannot ever get enough for a small tube without having black and blue bruising for a week or 10 days. I will use the blood bank and that will be that

Does any one know how long before surgery you have to stop taking medicines that you take normally at home?

Melissa

Comment

I also know what else is really bothering me and that there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

I want my mommy to be with me . That is not going to happen. She passed away in 2002 . There is just something about when you don't feel well, you want your mother to be there to take care of you , no matter how old your are

Comment

Working...
                                X