Sleeping Upstairs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Upstairs???

Were you able to go upstairs to sleep when you got home from the hospital? I'm wondering if I will be able to sleep upstairs in my own bed??? Are stairs very difficult?

Thank you guys for your answers!
    Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
    Were you able to go upstairs to sleep when you got home from the hospital? I'm wondering if I will be able to sleep upstairs in my own bed??? Are stairs very difficult?

Thank you guys for your answers!
    Laura
    Yes, I had to go up 2 flights of stairs to get from outside to my living quarters, and I was able to do them right from the day I got home. The first day they got me up to walk, they also had me climbing stairs. It was exhausting, but not impossible.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was also able to do stairs on day 4. Sleeping upstairs is a blessing...that way you don't try to do too much downstairs! I would close he door and whatever happened downstairs...happened...out of sight, out of mind!
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

i was actually gonna ask that. cuz the place where im gonna sleep right now is downstairs in a basement. so i was hoping stairs wouldnt be impossible
        -Bethany
        pre-op L 74*
        pre-op Th 56*
        surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
        getting nervous

Comment

Hi Laura,

The goal of my PT in the hospital was to be able to climb as many stairs as I would have to climb to get into my house and get to the bedroom. Otherwise, they weren't about to discharge me. If I at age 67 could do it, so can you. I know you are much younger. Good thoughts go out to you for a successful surgery and a fast recovery.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Laura, my physical therapist in the hospital asked me about my sleeping accomodations. I told her that my bedroom was upstairs, so she took me the stairs in the hospital and showed me the proper way to climb stairs. It wasn't hard. Logg rolling seemed harder for me then walking up and down the stairs.

rich

Comment

I too was taught stairs before leaving the hospital. (as well as climbing in and out of a tub.) Once home the stairs were not a problem, although in the beginning, I always had someone with me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you everybody!!! That is really encouraging to know. I have no idea as to what I will be able to do and what I won't be able to do!!!

This forum is sooo helpful! What did the poor people do before the internet??? haha!!!

Laura
                Laura
                62 degrees
                49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Hey Radiogirl: We share the same doc - I'm scheduled for sx in July. Long time away yet. How did you do postop with Dr. Lenke? I'm interested. I thought he was COOL and very professional and understanding, extremely knowledgeable and confident about his "fixing ways".....
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46
                  Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                  Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                  Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                  Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Rita - OOOPS!!! I just realized I said my surgery was in 09...but it's 3/31/10...this year! In under 3 months!!! I better go in to my signature line and change that! haha! Anyway...I felt great about Lenke from the first time I met him. I am traveling from Cleveland OH to go to him. Not looking forward to the plane ride home, but I think it will be worth it to have him perform his magic on my back! I'll keep you posted. I go in Feb for my preop testing!

Thanks!
                    Laura
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

That's okay. I think we're all wishful at this point. I know I sure am! I think this will be my best summer ever (hopefully!) to be rid of this everlasting, enduring pain. Yeah, let me know. I have my preop on May 26th. Not looking forward to that day - sounds like a long day. But, let me know, any confidence boosters are welcomed by me....THANKS!!!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

[QUOTE=Radiogirl;88975]Were you able to go upstairs to sleep when you got home from the hospital? I'm wondering if I will be able to sleep upstairs in my own bed??? Are stairs very difficult?

Laura,

I spent about 4 days down stairs in a hospital bed and HATED it. My husband was on the couch and every move I made...or tried to make :O) woke him in a panic. At that point, it was up stairs to the bed and I was sooo happy to be in it. I had a number of people say that a pillow top matress would be uncomfortable and sleeping in the same bed as my husband would be painful because if he moved in the bed I would feel it and it would cause me pain.

First, I never felt him move in our bed because it's a king size. Second, I felt so much better just being near him. The stairs probably will tire you out but it's good exercise. I used the hospital bed down stairs during the day just so I was around everyone. I was so sick at times and tired that the noise didn't bother me. Good luck and I wish you the best. I'm a little over 8 months post op and feel great. It takes some time but you'll get there!
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X