Scoliosis and Pregnancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on your baby!

Can you get a second opinion? Find out if there is any medical reason to have a Cesarean just because you have a fused back. There might not be.

Can you go back to the spine surgeon and ask why he said that? It might just be an ignorant comment. Spine surgeons are not obstetricians. I listen to Doctor Radio a lot and I can tell you these guys back down pretty quickly when something comes up outside their field. I am thinking your spine surgeon should have done that unless he has data which I doubt given what your obstetrician said.

Or go to another spine surgeon and get some stats on the outcomes of natural birth with fusion and without.

The facts will put you at ease either way.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Yes, congratulations on your baby! It's so easy to get caught up in a disagreement between your two doctors' views and worry about your health. Over the years there have been a number of women on the forum who have had babies both ways... some who had vaginal deliveries did so naturally, and some had epidurals or other "helps". I tried to pull up a couple of old threads but you could probably do a search and find more.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=baby
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=baby

Whatever way you go, you will end up with a precious baby, and that is what matters. In the meantime, relax and enjoy your pregnancy! It gets so busy once the baby is on the outside!!!

I just remembered there was one who was a little embarrassed (and a bit scared) because she ended up pregnant at just 5 months post-op... all was fine. (smile) And I'm pretty sure she had a vaginal birth.

Also-- do whatever makes YOU feel the most secure and comfortable. It's your life!
      Last edited by Susie*Bee; 02-11-2015, 08:35 AM.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
      X