Missing school due to surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing school due to surgery

This is kind of different advice I'm looking for. I'm sure as time get closer I'll be asking lots about the surgery, but for now I'm working with the school on how to make up missed classes.

I have a meeting scheduled with my daugthers teachers and Guidance department to discuss issues with her absence from school during surgery/recovery. She is scheduled for a February surgery (couldn't get a date around the holiday break) and I'm told will miss about 6 weeks of school.

From discussions with her Guidance office they are working on a Homebound teacher to help. I hope that they will let me know what subjects they will be able to provide Homebound studies for at this meeting 1/12.

As you can imagine my mind is all over the place. These last few weeks will be filled with Doctor appts and hospital visits which is enough - add in the school issue and I want to make sure I cover everything there too.

For those who have had surgery during the school year could you pass on any tips on what helped you/your child keep up with the classwork.

I want my daughter to put full energy into healing, but she is very concerned about passing Sophmore year of High School. For those who have been here any advice on things I should ask for during this meeting. I know everyone heals differently, but how long into recovery before school make up work was started? That would give me ideas on when I should request a teacher to visit. They said they need to know when to request a homebound teacher to start. It sounds like the first couple of weeks are hard after surgery. I wouldn't be too concerned about any of this, but it takes weeks of advanced notice to be able to get Homebound tutoring set up.

Few other things:

Did your child start back to school full days in the begining?
    Was there need for medication during the school day?
    Should I ask for early release from class to get her through the hallways before they are crowded?

Sorry this is long, and thanks for staying with me . This place is full of experience, and I can't thank you all enough for the information I've already received by reading though the posts.

Dee
    Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
    Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
    Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Hi Dee

We timed my dd's surgery over the Thanksgiving and Christmas break but she still missed 4 weeks of school total (plus many other days for dr's appts). She went back at 7 weeks and was able to make it the entire day. She has block scheduling, 4 classes/day so that helped as far as not having to walk as much. She had 2 sets of textbooks, one for home and one classroom, and I also requested that she take the minimum amount of supplies required to each class.

We also requested her to be dismissed 5 minutes early from classes for which she carried a pass at all times and she also had a "helper" from each class to carry stuff for her. I think the helper was more of a treat than a necessity.

I left a bottle of tylenol and pain patches at the nurses office. She actually went quite a bit the 1st year for pain but has hardly gone at all this past year. It's a good idea to talk to the nurse in advance so that they'll be aware of her situation. They were all very kind and would allow Sheena to lay down as long as she needed.

After surgery, your child will be on narcotics at home, they are not conducive to studying. Sheena was not in any shape to study until about 4 weeks and even then, she had a hard time sitting up for any length of time. She had a homebound teacher start at about that time but I ended up helping her the most to get through the work.

I applied for the 504, it won't hurt to have that on file. We also had a meeting with her counselor and all her teachers prior to surgery so that they understood the scope of her situation and you will know what their expectations are. I worried a great deal about the school situation before hand but it all worked out fine in the end.

Comment

Sherie,
      Your response to Dee was so thorough thanks! (just about everything you said has been communicated to me by Skye's school counselor. She will have the class helper too her friends are already starting a lottery to see who will get to do it (big smile) she will be let out 5 min before classes end - won't carry any books (two sets), The school sent a form to Skye's Surgeon for him to give the estimate as to when the teacher can begin her home visits. I got to choose male or female teacher for the tutoring - I met with all of her teachers so they are all on board. She will have an elevator pass upon return to school as well.

I too tried to schedule surgery over the break but her doc said the hospital is a ghost town during the holiday so they refrain from scheduling during that time. It would have been great for me to be home with her as I am off from Christmas to NYears. But alas 1/6 is our date. I am not sure how we are going to juggle being home with her (I am calling my insurance tomorrow to see if we are eligible for a home attendant even if for a few hours) otherwise family leave may be an option (however costly).

Thanks to all that contribute your experiences.

Comment

Sheena's friends fought over that privilege too. One of the few perks of having surgery

I forgot about the elevator, Sheena had one too but said she didn't really need it. She just used it when she felt like it.

Best wishes to Skye (I love her name) and to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
          Sheena's friends fought over that privilege too. One of the few perks of having surgery

I forgot about the elevator, Sheena had one too but said she didn't really need it. She just used it when she felt like it.

Best wishes to Skye (I love her name) and to you.
          Sherie,
          thanks

Comment

I always tell people to make arrangements for fire drills. Most people don't think about that. My daughter would be called to the guidance office about 10 minutes before the drill to give her plenty of time to get outside with a guidance counselor.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
              I always tell people to make arrangements for fire drills. Most people don't think about that. My daughter would be called to the guidance office about 10 minutes before the drill to give her plenty of time to get outside with a guidance counselor.

Mary Lou
              Woah!
              Thanks MaryLou!!!
              I would never have thought of that!
              Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I knew I could count on getting some experienced ideas for what to ask for.

Sherie, Thanks for the info. I've had dealings with the school in the past and know I'll need to have my requests up front. What is 504, and do I request it from the school?

MaryLou - I would have never thought of that - Thanks

ScoliSkye2 - I'm following your thread and the time is near for you and Skye. I'll be thinking of you all during this time. Swift healing to Skye, and I have you in my thoughts during these next few difficult days.

Dee
                Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve

Comment

Dee,
                  You are precious! thanks so much. I am not too good at manuevering(sp) around the forums so I will apologize in advance to anyone that I am hitchhiking on your post.

You are all asking the BEST questions and they open so many doors for me. This is TRULY the hardest thing I have EVER done - giving my baby over into the hands of a surgeon (waaah) but you ALL have helped me come closer to a place of peace because of your questions and responses! I will be forever greatful!

My kids are 34, 25 and 12 - 70, 80, and 90's babies LOL - I would have handled better say 20 years ago (grinz) but alas I have all of you to help me through it...THANKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ddb View Post
                    Sherie, Thanks for the info. I've had dealings with the school in the past and know I'll need to have my requests up front. What is 504, and do I request it from the school?

Dee
                    Here's a simple explanation for it

http://specialchildren.about.com/od/504s/f/504faq1.htm

I think many parents go ahead and do this just to cover all bases. It was a simple process but you can ask the counselor what they think. It helps to pave the way for any special accommodations your child might need.
                    Last edited by Sherie; 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliSkye2 View Post
                      Woah!
                      Thanks MaryLou!!!
                      I would never have thought of that!
                      Thanks!
                      That's why I still hang around this forum....I seem to be the only one who thinks of this.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi ddb
                        i was special ed teacher & social worker at the public schools in nyc for 25 years...

the law (IDEA) protects your child...a medical doctor can have her classified as temporarily impaired...medical disabilities can be put on & removed by a doctor's say so...then she is entitled to certain protections & accommodations under the law in the U.S. they are required! the law was created to protect the handicapped..& your daughter will qualify under that for a small period of time...

"reasonable accommodations" are required...that includes all form of transportation, learning & learning accommodations...also, extended time to do things, to complete things as well...

of course, it seems, from what you can read on this forum, that kids rebound from the surgery waaaaaay faster than we old folks (whoops, let me speak for my own old folk!)...
                        the 504 is perfect for just such short term needs, including home bound teachers...should your child need any more permanent accommodations (we hope not) that can be under the law as well...IEP's are written just for that...to spell out exactly what is needed...and importantly, exactly how it will be provided!! schools are required to do these things...it is not optional, nor is it dependent on how much money the school or district has or doesnt have!!

did you know schools are required to provide OT, PT & alternative gym for kids...also, gym exemptions per doctor orders...& gym accommodations as well (she can do this but not that) i do know that after surgery, most parents prefer their own PT or OT people per doctor recommendations

hope your needs for this are temporary due to her rapid recovery!!

jess
                        Last edited by jrnyc; 01-05-2010, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Dee - You already have such good advice from everyone, but since Julia just went back to school today I thought I'd share our experience so far as well. Julia just turned 15 last week, she is in 9th grade. She was very concerned about getting behind, even though her school was on winter break for some of the time she was out. At 3 weeks she met with a tutor at home every other day for about 45 minutes. She wasn't at her best, but she was able to start getting back into some math and chemistry, the subjects she was most worried about. By 4 weeks she was able to meet with the tutor for 60-90 minutes almost every day, and to do some homework most days. Now it's 5 weeks and she went to one class today. They are on block schedule so the class was 90 minutes. That was all she could do, she was exhausted and her back hurt from the uncomfortable chair. So we plan to continue with one or two classes per day this week, plus continued work with the tutor at home, and see how that goes. She is off pain meds other than occasional Advil. We live near the school and I am taking leave from work, so I'm able to take her and pick her up as needed. Take care, Barbara

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Barbara - Hope Julia is doing well with school. Your set up seems just like ours - block scheduling , 90 min classes. Was wondering how the sitting that long was going to go over.

We had our meeting with the teachers - didn't go as well as I thought it would. Still can't get an answer about Homebound help. Seems it will be subject to availability, and won't know the subjects she will get help with until they know who is available to come.

Some of her teachers were GREAT!! Even offered home phone numbers if needed. Others, well, we'll get through this.

I did discuss the possibliity of her returning to just a few classes at first. That seems to be what most have said their kids did in the begining.

I asked about 504 and although the GC didn't seem to think it would be needed I will continue to check it out, and see if it would be something that she needs.

Dee

Comment

do you have any relatives who are lawyers? tends to get things moving & noticed!

there are things required by LAW...so if you really feel you are not being taken seriously, there are ways to deal with it...i just hope she doesnt fall behind or end up needing summer school! it is not acceptable that they are telling you they cant give you answers on homebound...that is why people utilize 504 & other legal protections!! do you have a letter from a doctor stating what she needs? he should call her physically impaired for starters!

Comment

Working...
                              X