Day 2 Post Op Questions? Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 2 Post Op Questions? Normal?

Ok so I finally had to leave the hospital..I could not take seeing him in such pain ...so the next day after surgery they put him in a Chair?? Is this the Norm?? He screamed for over an hour in pain They have him on a Morphine pump where he pushes it when he needs it..which seems to be helping only a little bit..

He screams and cries and then I start crying cause there is nothing I can do !! Is this normal????

So then today they move him up in bed and he starts screaming and crying..and they dont seem very soothing and caring they are just like calm down its ok..GRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!

This is day 2,and he is still in ICU no talk yet of moving him...

How long until after your child had surgery did they start feeling better?
    Them moving him so much after surgery ,is that normal?

I can't get online often as the hospital does not have wifi..so only when I leave and come here is when I am able to check...

so if any of you can text me? with the answers to my questions that would be so wonderful...that way atleast I have some answers to my questions and not having to wait till tomorrow to check this...

Thank you
    Misty
    530-355-1083

Oh man!

I would call his surgeon immediately and let them know what is going. I would demand the treatment you were assured of before the surgery

I was told that Skye will have that self medicating pump and if it does not work enough they will immediately evaluate and change the frequency or dosage. There should be no screaming in pain and if the moving him causes this he can refuse to be moved.

I am so sorry for Dairrien and you! Be very aggressive with your request for him. Don't let them give you any answer they see fit.

Comment

I am told that two days in ICU then moved to regular room is what I should expect. So yes I think his stay in ICU is normal.

Comment

i am so sorry for your poor child's pain...

i am sorry, but i believe NO patient should scream with pain, let alone a child! demand to see the doctor...tell them that it is urgent!! tell his answering service it is urgent, if that is all you can reach!!

hope he feels better soon
        jess

Comment

Oh dear, I hope someone texts you and gives you some helpful advice. What a nightmare. My advice is similar to above. His pain is not being managed. He doesn't need to be in such pain.

Making him sit in a chair for an hour one day post op? That's just plain cruel. Did they simply leave him there and walk away? It was weeks before I could sit more than 10 minutes. No way could I do it on day 2!

Dairriensmom, this is not right. Please demand to see the surgeon and get proper pain control.

We probably all had severe pain at times, but perhaps only until the medication got on top of it, or if they were late bringing the meds. But it sounds like what he's getting is not coming close to managing his pain.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Your post is giving me chills . Demand that they do something for the pain! My prayers are with you both!!
            "With God All Things Are Possible"
            Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
            to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

My daughter's surgery was 3 1/2 weeks ago. Her pain was not being managed well at first and I had to be VERY assertive to get the "pain team" to consider other options. They changed her from morphine to dilaudid, valium and torodol combination. That did the trick.

I just texted with Darrien's mom about this. She said they had added valium this morning and he is doing better, thank goodness.

Comment

Thank you jjsmom for that. I hope Dairriensmom is feeling a little better seeing her son feeling a little better. I got a shock reading what was happening yesterday. I am sure Dairriensmom was appreciative of your text.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                  Making him sit in a chair for an hour one day post op? That's just plain cruel. Did they simply leave him there and walk away?
                  For kids, this is completely normal. My daughter spent 10 hours in the OR, spent the first night in an Intermediate Care room (one step down from ICU, with smaller nurse/patient ratio than a regular room) and was moved to a regular room the next morning. She was put in a chair the day after surgery, and was walking I believe by day two or three.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Dairrien's Mom,

I'm sorry I didn't see this post until today. Sitting in the chair the day after surgery is normal. So is some pain/discomfort. But the pain you are describing is NOT normal! If you haven't done so already, talk directly to the surgeon and get a change in his meds. He may need more morphin. He may need to be switched to somehting else. If he hasn't already been switched to oral meds, he will be soon and it is very important to keep his pain controlled.

Once on oral meds, keep track of what he was given and what time. Keep him on the prescribed schedule otherwise the pain will get ahead of him and you don't want that to happen.

Hang in there. I hope things are much better now than when you wrote this.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi everyone..they still have dairrien on the morphine pump..along with Valium as needed..they are adding in Flexerall..Which I am not to sure about that one..Flexerall for back surgery??????? If at anytime I see that his pain is not being managed I will be throwing a fit and calling in the surgeon..They have all these different doctors coming in and all are syaing different things and I am like YOUR NOT HIS SURGEON !!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR !!!!! So he was comfortable enough a while ago for me to leave him for a bit to get a shower and such...they are also going to start him on oral meds (perkaset-Spelling sory)not sure about that either..If dairrien is in alot of pain later I will be calling his surgeon and demand that they either get his pain under control or transfer him to another facility..Cause I am not playing anymore with them !!!! It gets to be too much on me to watch him suffer like this..He is still in ICU because his pain was not being managed well...

Comment

Hi.

I just wanted to chime in with a request you do not beat yourself up over anything (if you are).

I went through this with one kid and still dropped the ball on the second... I knew she would be in some pain after the tilt table (based on the first kid) and didn't realize her pain after that was more than could be expected due to the tilt table. She needed more drugs and I realized that too late. We finally got that sorted out but I consider that a failure on the part of the nursing staff also, not just my failure.

The whole pain relief situation is a huge known unknown in my opinion. It is really hard to figure out what is going on. The drugs have side effects so the answer is not to open the drug spigot wide.

WRT your son, that sounds like a level that should have been controlled better.

Good luck.
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

So glad to hear that things are calming down for Dairrien and his pain is being better managed. Thank you for posting. It will help me to keep my eyes open and communicate thoroughly with my little one. She is not very verbal and will probably not ask for help so I will be close on hand to give her a trusting advocate. I am sooo praying that he continue to progress with proper pain management. Again so sorry for your experience but I can tell you are on top of it to the best of your ability so stay strong! Be encouraged this too shall pass.

Comment

Leaking????

Has any of your children after surgery had leaking from their wound? Dairrien sat up for the first time and his wound started leaking fluid and blood
                            Was wondering if this was normal????

Comment

Sheena had drains for the first 4-5(?) days (can't remember exactly when they removed them) but there was quite a lot of fluid out of them. I would think it's normal while he's still in the hospital, but there was definitely no drainage once we were home.

Comment

Working...
                              X