Pregnancy questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
    HGD24, this is actually a great plan for UNfused patients, as well.

Pam
    Great advice Pam! The dr I met with was so happy to see me in a relaxed, non-surgical, non-medical setting to discuss the options and review my x-rays. I think it really helps everyone involved to be able to make these decsions ahead of time rather than in the heat of the moment.

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
    In order to do a spinal or an epidural the anesthetist needs a space between the appropriate vertebrae to place a needle. Common spaces used for delivery are between:L2 to L3, L-3 to L-4, L-4 to L-5, L-5 to S-1(Sacrum).

If any of these spaces are fused together then epidural or spinal are not possible. There is no place to place the needle for either spinal or epidural.
    Karen - do you mean if ALL of these spaces are fused?

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'm due any day now & have to bring my x rays & operative notes to the hospital, but most likely can't have a spinal or an epidural. If both girls are head down, I will try to deliver naturally in order to avoid being knocked out with general anesthesia for a c section. I'd hate to miss the birth of my only children!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Summer--
        How exciting! Good luck to you and let us know how it all goes. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It's a bit late in the game if you haven't been practicing but I found Lamaze worked great for delivery. Maybe I was just lucky or something, but both my sons were delivered without anesthesia of any kind (except for a jolt of local before the episiotomy - standard then).

I still use the Lamaze breathing for anything uncomfortable! True, that the twins have to be in a good position (though I think a good OB or midwife can do a bit of manipulation) but it CAN work. The main thing is not to panic. I figure the special breathing gave me a feeling of control. Sheesh, compared to other pain I"ve felt, it was nothing - especially when the fear element was under control!

And best of all you get those babies at the end!!

Major congratulations. You must be so excited! Hope you're able to sleep OK and that your back isn't bothering you too much! (Didn't dare say "at all" as it seemed to much to expect) Seems to me at that stage I was getting up to go to the loo all night long, and mine weren't even twins! (But their heads were big, and number 2 weighed in over 9 lbs.)

Maybe someone can videotape the birth so even if they knock you out you can watch it later. Second time around, there was a big mirror opposite my pubis so I could see the birth but at the last minute the fat headed doctor thrust his head right between it and my line of vision. I couldn't see anything. Older son asked me later, "What did you think, Mommy, right when he was being born?"

In a flash I answered (the truth): "I wish Dr. Wengrowitz would move his head."

All good wishes for a happy, easy, exciting delivery.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Working...
          X