Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nausea at week 3??? Anyone else?

Hi,
    In the last 24 hours Gabby has been experiencing nausea. Can you suddenly feel sick on narcotics after you have been on them for over a week?
    She is on Digesics (although we had a short bout on paracetomol a couple of days ago, which didnt cut the mustard) and ibruferen(which is ok with the Dr.) although last night i stopped the ibruferen for fear it was giving her nausea.
    I thought today i would try 1 digesics and 1 paracetomol and no ibruferen(sp?).
    What about codeine as in codeine and paracetomol products? Are they effective enough in pain relief for this sort of thing.( I realise everyone is different....just looking for non-prescriptive alternatives).
    You are all so helpful. Thankyou for all the advice.
    Donna.
    Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
    Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Hi Donna,

I recall feeling yuk while on the narcs, but then anything related to this kind of pain med, i'm no good at.

If your looking for something OTC, try the new Panadeine Xtra. Each tab contains 15mg of Codeine and 500mg of Paracetamol. Its is recommended for extra strong pain relief.

Its somewhere in between Panadeine and Panadeine Forte.

Hope this helps.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

My dd was nauseous til she got off of all pain meds (oxycontin) at about 5 weeks.

Also she had headaches from the meds, sometimes severe.

Comment

I used nausea and headaches as clues to reduce meds. At one point, after taking a pill, my daughter looked at me with a big cheesy grin and said "Wow, I feel good." I used that as another point to reduce meds. Trust your gut feeling and/or consult the docs.

Comment

I hope Gabby's coming along well, Donna. You two have been on my mind. I am hoping no news is good news. I hope 2010 brings a 100% recovery for Gabby and peace to you and your family.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Be careful taking OTC drugs as certain anti inflammatories will prevent healing. I had similar nausea and spinning. After a while you build up so much narcotics in your system and have to cut back.
            Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
            Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
            Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
            Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
            Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

My son had nausea and could hardly eat anything until he was off all narcotics. I believe he stopped the narcotics around 2 1/2 - 3 weeks post op and then just took a couple of tylenol for a week or so until he stopped needing anything for the pain. We found that walking really helped him cope with the pain so if your daughter can walk at all that may help.

All the best,
              Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
              Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
              Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
              X