Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can scoliosis correct itself???

HI all!

I am fairly new here...I posted in another section of this forum...a while ago.

Approximately, 6 months ago he was xrayed & diagnosed with a curve of 8 degrees...He just got re-xrayed to reavaluate his scoliosis & he was at a 6 degree angle. Could the scoliosis be correcting itself? Has anyone ever heard of this happening??

Thank you so much for your time!

Tamie
    Mom to 13 year old Jimmy - scoliosis, asthma & epilepsy

Hi Tamie...

I think I read that the majority of very small curves correct themselves. Anyway, it's almost never anything to worry about. Most texts don't even define curves under 10 degrees as "abnormal." You didn't mention your son's age, but a 10-12 year old child with a curve less than 19 degrees only has a 25% chance of curve progression.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

My daughter was diagnosed with a curve of 19 in June, when we went for a follow up in August , the curve was 14...she is 12 years old...there is always that margin of error when measuring the cobbs angle.....My daughter and I are convinced the scoliosis corrected it's self.....but she is still not out of the woods...
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism