Maybe fourth time will be the charm!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe fourth time will be the charm!

Well, folks, I got a small revision scheduled for Wednesday, December 23. They'll be going in low, very low, on my old incision and removing both of the screws in my pelvis. I first thought they were going to remove the heads of the screws, but the doc said the whole screw. Guess I'll find out for sure once he's done. I'm a little anxious, the waiting is the hardest part. It will be inpatient, but I don't expect to be in there for more than 24-36 hours. I always want to get out, go home to my own bed and toilet! I absolutely hate, HATE, IVs, and do not do well with the pre-op prep stuff. So, pray for me. I'll be admitted at 5:30, so expect the IV about 6:15 or so. I'm trying to take this one day at a time, and look forward to hearing from all of you! Thanks for your support over the last year and a half.
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Hi Les,
    I hope the removal of the screws in your pelvis does the trick for you. I keep wondering is that would also help me. Whatever is causing my pain, we are working on it and I hope to know soon. It will be over soon for you and hopefully you will be home for Christmas. Two years ago, I came home on Christmas Eve after my second surgery and was so happy to be back in my own bed. I will be thinking of you and praying for the end of your pain and anxiety.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Les I was wondering why you are having the screws removed. I also have screws into my pelvis(2 months post op) and hope to never have to have them removed. My doc said unless they cause problems in the future we can leave them in. Are they loose or painful? ldwest

Comment

I can honestly say I don't have a screw loose. At least in my pelvis. They are just inflaming all the tissue surrounding the screws, and causing me extreme pain. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue.
        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10

Comment

Hi Les
          may santa bring you a successful & final surgery...& a very healing xmas & new year....
          i just know this will be it for you...once those screws come out (you sure you havent been just a little bit screwy lately?) you will be fine...i think there's a law against more than 4 surgeries anyway...

best of luck
          jess

Comment

Well Jess I'm sorry to say I have broken the law haha! I have had 6 if you count my internal bone stimulator removal. Less I thin that may be what is wrong with me and why the pain is never gone...maybe my body doesn't reject metal but is just irritated by it. I've always had trouble with the metal and when it is removed my spine doesn't hold up. What do you do??

Comment

havent had any metal..yet...no surgery...yet...

sorry to hear of the pain you suffer....cant imagine 6 surgeries..you poor baby! is there anything else they can do to help alleviate the pain?

jess

Comment

Hey Jess. I'm only 8 weeks post op with my new rods so I'm hoping time will take care of more of the pain. I do walk so much easier now. So it's not all bad.

Comment

Good Luck Les

Just in time for Christmas! May Santa bring you the gift of a quick recovery and no further surgeries!!!!
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I wonder when the scientists are going to come up with rods that are not metal. I would have thought that by now, the scientists would have come up with some type of diamond hard plastic as an alternative. Of course, for all I know, there might be a reason that plastic no matter what the strength or durability, might not be an appropriate alternative to metal rods. I have a friend whose body does not fuse and doesn't take kindly to the rods either. Just thinking out loud.
                    Avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Well, home for the holidays! Actually pulled up into the driveway about 1:11 pm, yesterday. Pretty good time, actually, since I was admitted at 5:30 a.m, and the surgeon was late! I had a broken rod down low, so he removed about 2-1/2" of rod, and those really big screws in my pelvis. I've got two incisions, one one each side of the origianal incision, and they are about 3" long. It does hurt to sit or lay, but that's what the meds are for! Have a follow up in two weeks, to remove the stitches. All in all, I feel good. Thanks for all your support!

Comment

Hi Les,
                        I'm glad you're home in time for Christmas. Obviously a broken rod can be the cause of pain. Hopefully this will be the solution to your problem. Have a wonderful Christmas.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Welcome home, Les...wow...what'd ya' do to break a rod..no, dont tell me...now you have a few less screws...hah! may Santa bring you a smooth & rapid healing...& no need ever for any more surgery!

happy merry
                          jess

Comment

Les

Wow! ..... Im just seeing this thread and I hope everything is ok now.

Merry Christmas
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm with Ed. Hope this has been your final surgery and you are quickly back on deck again. Enjoy your Christmas, Les.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X