No announcement yet.

Back at Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious to know about Dr. Anand. Did you go to see him before your surgery? What did he say? Why did you decide to do it with another doctor?
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Pilar, My insurance wouldn't cover Dr. Anand. I don't have any regrets with Doctor Kropf. Everytime a hospital doctor would come into my room while in the hospital and I told him that Dr. Kropf did my surgery, they all said that he is an excellent doctor. Cedars Sinai is an excellent hospital. Everybody gets their own private room, which is a necessity after a surgery like this! It's hard to sleep at night, so you constantly get out of bed to relieve pressure off your back. Dr. Kropf did go in laparoscopaly, so small incisions in the front.

rich

Comment

Hi Rich, I am in awe of how fast you are coming along, you don't sound any different now than you did before your surgery -- you must have a very strong constitution. Anyway, take it easy for now and get plenty of rest, but do walk as much as you can, it really does help!
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

wow, rich..was it all done laproscopically? if so, how could dr anand possibly do better?

jess

Comment

Thanks Dolores, but I didn't feel this way on Saturday. I'm starting to get spasms on my back, but I think it's normal. Another side effect is how cold I get. I was always hot before, but now seem get cold at night before going to bed.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
              mel, it does feel good sleeping in my own bed,, or should I saw try to sleep in my own bed. The bed more comfortable then the hospital bed, but the presssure I put on my back while sleeping, hurts me a lot. Percocet, only allows me to sleep about 1 hour or two, then I awake with back pain from my incision site.

rich
              And that in itself is a bit odd, because most people have NO pain at the incision. I know I woke up the first few weeks (okay ... months) feeling like angry elves (with pointy shoes) kicked me in the ribs while I slept, but that's it.

Is someone monitoring it at home for you?

Regards,
              Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                wow, rich..was it all done laproscopically? if so, how could dr anand possibly do better?

jess
                Jess,

They did the anterior release via laparoscope, I believe ...

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm starting to get spasms on my back, but I think it's normal. Another side effect is how cold I get. I was always hot before, but now seem get cold at night before going to bed.
                  LOL ... sorry for burning up the lines here with 3 in a row ...

Rich:

Yes, spasms are pretty normal. Valium handled mine.

Temperature sensitivity - sometimes to the opposite extreme, but frequently, a towards cold - is also common. My surgery was in early February (not quite so bad in Texas as some of you have it, but still ;-), and I think I kept my electric blanket plugged in until May - LOL!

It'll pass.

Regards,
                  Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam , my pain is from the incision site on my back only. When I lay down to sleep, it feels like the hardware (guessing here) is putting pressure. I'm scared to move around while I sleep, because I don't have the brace on and don't want to mess anything up. At this time, I am good for about one good hour of sleep after taking my pills (percocet, every 4 hours and Ocycotin 2 times a day). I then get up in order to relieve pressure from my back. Maybe, I'm imagining the hardware, but it feels like my hardware.. Maybe i'm going crazy..

Rich

Comment

Pam , my pain is from the incision site on my back only. When I lay down to sleep, it feels like the hardware (guessing here) is putting pressure. I'm scared to move around while I sleep, because I don't have the brace on and don't want to mess anything up. At this time, I am good for about one good hour of sleep after taking my pills (percocet, every 4 hours and Ocycotin 2 times a day). I then get up in order to relieve pressure from my back. Maybe, I'm imagining the hardware, but it feels like my hardware.. Maybe i'm going crazy..
                      I understood what you were saying, Rich ... it just doesn't sound familiar. It's probably nothing, but you may want to ask your surgeon about it.

You say you "don't have the brace on": Are you supposed to be in a brace?

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam, you are correct about not wearin the brace whil sleeping. Am I supposed to wear it while sleeping? The physical therapy person at the hospital told me that I don't have to wear it while sleeping, just everywhere else and for the next 4 months. Is this usual?

rich

Comment

Hi Rich,

If I may chime in here? I was told the same as you, wear it while up, not necessary to sleep in it if I didn't want to. The first couple of days I didn't wear it at home while in bed. I was heavily medicated but I was still afraid of moving and doing damage. I assume it was in my head. But I ended up sleeping in my brace for the first couple of months, and I slept better with the meds and peace of mind that I wasn't going to ruin anything.

I'm sure it was in my head, but I slept, which is a very important part of healing.

Just my opinion,
                          You are doing great,
                          Shari

Comment

Hi Rich,
                            This is my first post.So glad to hear your home and your surgery went well.I had my surgery in Aug. fused T-10 to Pelvis Dr.Pashman.I live in Bakersfield so a week after surgery I was able to go to my reg.doctor here to check dressing.Maybe you can save a 3 hr. drive.Also I am still in my brace but I do not wear it to bed.
                            Sheri
                            Aug.17,09 Anterior
                            Aug.20,09 Posterior
                            Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                            Cedars-Sinai
                            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                            Husband married 30 years
                            3 kids 29,28,25
                            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Working...