No announcement yet.

Case study: Non-surgical reversal of scoliosis in a mature adult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the usual protocol was 40 minutes twice a week.

I'd be interested to know if 30 minutes once a day worked for more of their patients.

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    I think she may have exercised more no? Didn't it say > or = to 30 minutes? Maybe she exercised more than anyone else since there are no other reported cases from that group with a reduction.

Comment

With regard to the posted discussion, I think they need to address the degenerative changes that seem to occur earlier and more frequently in curved spines versus straight spines.
      Yes, looking at that is definately phase 2 in my plan. How does a "natural" spine with a 20 to 30 degree curve compare to a "fused" spine with a 10 degree curve? I have no idea, but I'm hoping someone does.

Fused areas will never experience any of these problems. If they get the balance right on the thoracic fusions and if the pedicle screws can solve the lumbar extension issue, then I think it is not crazy to suggest this fused population will have less degenerative changes than the average person out in the population.
      I just don't think we have enough information yet to know. Clearly, there were problems in the older fusions. Although we're hopeful about the newer methods, there simply isn't enough data to say one way or another.

Comment

I thought they addressed the double major somewhere in one of the SEAS studies, but I can't remember which unfortunately. I'll try and look again over the weekend. I also think single thoracic was a problem.

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        I'm interested in whether curve type affects the effectiveness of exercise-based therapy for scoliosis.

It's known that it is much, much more difficult to cast double curvatures in infantile/juvenile scoliosis because it involves trying to derotate each curve in opposite directions at the same time. It seems to me that it would be extraordinarily difficult for an adult to work on a double major curve with exercises - is there any data on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
          hdugger,

I was looking at these side shift exercises you mentioned

SIDE SHIFT EXERCISE FOR IDIOPATHIC SCOLIOSIS AFTER SKELETAL MATURITY
          I am curious about "side shift exercises." What may I ask are they?
          34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
          Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

I thought I'd posted a link once to the article which actually showed the exercise, but I can't seem to find it.

Here's the textual description:

"Patients are instructed to shift the trunk to the concavity
            of the curve repetitively while standing (figure 1)
            and to maintain the side shift position while sitting."

I believe they found that side shifting while standing was more effective.

This isn't definitive at all, but it is an interesting and easy exercise to try.

Comment

Thanks! It's easier than the name sounds.
              34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
              Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

I've been searching for more information on how to work on chest wall expansion. I came across this article regarding Martha Hawes in the Chest Journal.

http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/120/2/672.full.html#ref-4

It mentions

"In the current report, the achievement of a significant increase in chest expansion in correlation with the near-elimination of respiratory illness is consistent with a previous study showing that even in middle age, functional defects associated with thoracic scoliosis can be reversed measurably using physical methods."

The study is attributed to: "Block, AJ, Wexler, J, McDonnell, EJ Cardiopulmonary failure of the hunchback: a possible therapeutic approach. JAMA 1970;212,1520-1522" but I am unable to bring up any of the details. Has anyone seen this study before?

Comment

Side shift therapy

Anybody interested in "Side Shift" therapy might find this interesting.

The 19th Century Debate on Clothing as a Cause of Scoliosis

Lewis A. Sayre, an orthopedist, studied patients from upper and lower socioeconomic levels. He found that abnormal spinal development was not often seen in girls from lower income families. These girls did not wear corsets; instead, they carried bundles on their heads, which forced them to stand very straight. This balancing act, Sayre concluded, helped these girls develop healthy spines.
                  Who knows if he was right but it's an interesting observation.

Comment

Abnormal spinal development was not often LOOKED FOR in girls from lower income families.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
                      I am curious about "side shift exercises." What may I ask are they?
                      A member of our forum was discussing this back in 2006 - she wrote to Martha and received some great info on this. The files were to large to post for sharing here, but she had said if anyone wanted it to write her. So I did, and she sent them to me. I'd be happy to pass it on - just send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reneemarie View Post
                        I've been searching for more information on how to work on chest wall expansion. I came across this article regarding Martha Hawes in the Chest Journal.

http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/120/2/672.full.html#ref-4

It mentions

"In the current report, the achievement of a significant increase in chest expansion in correlation with the near-elimination of respiratory illness is consistent with a previous study showing that even in middle age, functional defects associated with thoracic scoliosis can be reversed measurably using physical methods."

The study is attributed to: "Block, AJ, Wexler, J, McDonnell, EJ Cardiopulmonary failure of the hunchback: a possible therapeutic approach. JAMA 1970;212,1520-1522" but I am unable to bring up any of the details. Has anyone seen this study before?
                        Looks like this one is a pay for view only - or something a good medical library would have. Maybe an email to Martha would work?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                          Anybody interested in "Side Shift" therapy might find this interesting.

The 19th Century Debate on Clothing as a Cause of Scoliosis

Who knows if he was right but it's an interesting observation.
                          Hey - that was an interesting article! I think Sharon nailed it though ... How often did the lower income population present to the medical community compared to the more affluent in the 1800's? For that matter didn't the more affluent spend time on things like proper posture - balancing books on their heads for practice? Weak debate I'm thinking - merit though perhaps in the fact that "fashion" corsets certainly could make the condition worse.

Suppose there's any grant money for studying "book balancing" in a young population not wearing corsets?
                          Last edited by mamamax; 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Side Shift Exercise

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                            I thought I'd posted a link once to the article which actually showed the exercise, but I can't seem to find it.

Here's the textual description:

"Patients are instructed to shift the trunk to the concavity
                            of the curve repetitively while standing (figure 1)
                            and to maintain the side shift position while sitting."

I believe they found that side shifting while standing was more effective.

This isn't definitive at all, but it is an interesting and easy exercise to try.
                            I've been gifted with 16 pages of Mehta's work, including photographs and xrays. Within this he also states that the side shift exercise can be useful in preventing progression in the adult population. If you (or anyone else) would like a copy just send me a PM. Unfortunately the size of this file exceeds upload limits provided by this forum.
                            Last edited by mamamax; 01-30-2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Before anybody dismisses Dr. Sayre...

Lewis A. Sayre, an orthopedist, studied patients from upper and lower socioeconomic levels. He found that abnormal spinal development was not often seen in girls from lower income families.
                              It says that he studied girls from both backgrounds. It didn't say that he ran a family practice and based his opinion on his wealthier than average clientele. He may (or may not) have been right but there is no reason to assume that his hypothesis was based on a rookie mistake.

There is every reason to believe that lower income girls from that era were more physically active and muscular than girls from the middle and upper classes.

This study from 1997 provides support for Dr. Sayre's hypothesis
                              Relation between adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and morphologic somatotypes.

Subjects with progressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosis are significantly less mesomorphic than control girls.
                              Last edited by Dingo; 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                                Yeah, I actually sent the first three authors an email yesterday asking something like that (except, in a more neutral way ). I also asked if she'd maintained her curve and how much time it required to maintain it.
                                It's been almost a year. Do you know if that patient maintained the reduction in her curve?
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X