Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware removal

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while and never on the revision site before, but I may have to have a hardware removal surgery and have a few questions. I have been searching previous posts on this subject. I don't have an appointment with my surgeon for another month, but since I had my baby 3 months ago, I've had very specific pain in around T1 or T2. There seems to be a more defined bump there -probably hardware and I can't tell you whether it was there before or not. The pain (sharp, some burning) occurs whenever I reach for something, hold my child, twist, put my hair up, etc. Obviously it is affecting my life greatly. I originally thought it was just a pulled muscle, but it seems like the muscle is irritated going over something (like hardware). I'm wondering what type of pain people had when considering hardware removal surgery. I'm feeling nervous since I can't get in to see the surgeon for some time and am in a lot of pain and trying to lug around my baby. I also don't want surgery because of how it would affect nursing my baby. However, I also don't want to live in this pain.

Thank you,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

I had hardware loose at the top after my 2nd child. It was already a little loose before I was pregnant. By the time I had her I had 2 large knots at the top where the rods were sticking out..you could have hung a coat on them. I had the top half removed and felt GREAT for a little while. Then I started developing the kyphosis where the rods were. I have been battling those issues for years...needless to say 3 more surgeries later I am standing tall. Still pain but only 2 months post op....my personal opinion is have the rods removed if they are causing alot of pain it may work out just fine or you may be setting yourself up for more rods later. I have been right were you are and it isn't easy. I pray that whatever you decide works out.

Comment

Thanks for your reply ldwest. I wonder how common it is for hardware to become loose after childbirth. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

How did you know you had loose hardware (besides the bump)? What kind of pain were you experiencing? Did they do an x-ray and catscan on you, or other tests?

One other question - if you were nursing at the time, did you have to stop nursing due to the surgery?

Thanks,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got the same "bump". I sent you a P.M.

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I had xrays but it was clearly obvious the hardware was loose. I wasn't kidding when I said you cold hang a coat on them. I was in lots of pain when it first started coming loose but for a long time I ignored it hoping it was all in my head or would magically go away before the clearly physical evidence started showing.(protruding rods) As for work I did night shift in a retirement home. My boss never knew how bad I was but my cna helper took up alot of the physical slack for me. At the time I was in my mid 20's and still felt I could do anything! As for my pregnancy it seemed the pain lessend while I was prego...my personal opinion on that is your body releases the hormone relaxin I think it may have eased the pain after she was born it was awful! I wonder if anyone elses pain has eased during pregnancy? Though I had terrible sciatic pain w/ my 3rd and last. I will never say i shouldn't have had my 3 girls, they are my life!! But they sure did take a physical toll on me. After every child my condition worsened. I am all tied up now, no more kids and I pray to God no more surgeries!

Comment

Working...
          X