15 days to go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DairriensMom View Post

Hi Mary Lou....I have faith..I pray all will go well...and I thank god for this group...as I would have no where else to vent my fears ,or thoughts too...
    Trust in Him and all will be fine. I struggled before Jamie's surgery--I couldn't eat; I couldn't sleep; I was losing my temper; in other words, I was miserable and making everyone else miserable. One day I decided I just couldn't handle it anymore. I knew in my heart that I had picked the best surgeon for Jamie (we had five opinions), I'd done my research, etc. so really there wasn't anything else I could do. I prayed one night and simply turned the whole thing over to God and I had the best night's sleep after I did. I simply felt at ease. And everything was fine.

My prayers are with you.

Mary Lou
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-26-2009, 01:55 PM.
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hello DarriensMom, I have a son the same age as yours. My son is 6'2" tall at 13 years old. I love looking up to him and his voice has recently changed to a lower ton - it's just beautiful!!! These boys are just wonderful to us!!!
      Good luck to you and your son with your surgery. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by DairriensMom View Post
        Dairrien is a tall boy,roughly 5'8 at 13 yrs old..He was towering over me just last month..Now we are seeing eye to eye..

I am wondering if his curve has increased...I guess we will find out Tuesday? when we check into Shriners...That was a little concerning to me when I was cooking dinner and he came up to me and instead of looking up,I was eye level....
        My two girls are very tall also and of course immediately gained more height after surgery. It was jarring at first to see them stand for the first time but you get used to it.

They are about 5' 9"+ and 5' 10"+ I'd say and they like their height. Any taller I don't know if they would.

Good luck with the surgery. I think you will be amazed at how quickly Dairrien recovers!
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Dear Sharon
          tall girls...how lucky! they must be gorgeous...

i am so sorry for all the kids who have to go thru the surgery...but i know that once they heal (faster, as children do) they will have wonderful, healthy lives!
          prayers go out for all those facing surgery this week...& a sure faith that all will go well!

happy merry everybody
          jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post

i am so sorry for all the kids who have to go thru the surgery...but i know that once they heal (faster, as children do) they will have wonderful, healthy lives!
            prayers go out for all those facing surgery this week...& a sure faith that all will go well!

happy merry everybody
            jess
            Post of the month nomination. (I hope I'm not over my limit of nominations )

Husband is almost done cooking the dinner! Delicious vegetarian options for me and turkey for the rest.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I look forward to seeing Dairrien standing tall,no longer looking at the ground..being able to actually look at someones face while talking instead of looking at the floor I look forward to the day that Dairrien will stand straight so mean kids don;t call him "The hunch Back of Norte Dame" (This is one of the reasons he is not in school and is home schooled) Kids can be cruel..and me being a mom,watched from a distance as a young man mimiced dairrien while he was walking by..I went right up to that kid (13 yr old) and said...How dare you !! Do you realize that he has a deformity of his spine..do you realize that he can't help that? Didn't your mother tell you that you shouldnt make fun of other people who are different? You should be thanking god you don;t have to deal with the pain that he goes through everyday,just so he can come to school,and deal with punks like you..The kid was appologetic,I hope I gave him something to think about..But after that Dairrien left school once again,to be home schooled cause he couldnt handle the pain of being there all day,and the kids were not so nice

I Just wish people would teach their children about being nice to everyone,None of my 3 boys who are 11,13 and 16 EVER teased anyone,nor have they looked at someone else who was different,and said anything out of line..sorry,I am rambling..lol.. I will be glad when this is all over and Dairrien can start his Teenage years with a fresh new start Yes Happy Memories

Comment

Yes kids can be so cruel. It's heartbreaking.

Bullying and teasing is a bigger problem in school than many people realize. There was a huge campaign in the middle school here about it with week-long awareness raising.

My kids have been bullied. There were phone calls and emails between myself and the school psychologist. It's a frustrating problem. Some of it is parenting and some of it is just kids being kids, both of which are intractable in my opinion.

Whether through that experience or just being required to think rationally their whole life, I am grateful my kids see this as the huge problem it is. It is on their radar and it bothers them when some kid is being teased or bullied. I get frequent reports both about how others were bullied and how they and others have tried to help. It's not realistic for kids to always step in but there are a few kids who will try at least some of the time.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

well we are here at the ronald mcdonald house...we check in at 5:30 am for Dairriens surgery...He is the first surgery..so I will let everyone know how he is doing !! Please pray for a safe and quick recovery...

Comment

it is 1:45 a.m. on the east coast, & i know you are probably worried & nervous....but now is the time to let it go, trust the surgeon & excellent medical staff, & have faith that it will go well & have a positive outcome....you have done everything you could do...he will be fine.....the new year will begin with your son spending his energy on healing...so that the rest of 2010 can be his healthiest & happiest year yet!

prayers & thoughts for a successful outcome...

jess

Comment

Thank you Jess although I am anxious and worried..everyone reassured me this morning that everything will be ok...He has a great team of doctors..so I have faith in them....He is in surgery now,and I am just waiting now....

Comment

Peace

Praying for your peace! it's my turn next week. I know how you feel!

Comment

Hi Darriensmom. I hope surgery went well and you're both feeling more than a little relieved. Take one day at a time, you're heading for the light at the end of the tunnel now. Take care of yourself. You need sleep and good food too.

It's NYE here in Australia, so Happy New Year!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                          X