Boys and Brace! Your thoughts!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys and Brace! Your thoughts!!!!

So I'm timid to date because even though my parents allow it, I'm worried if a guy won't accept my brace. Does anyone have a boyfriend with a brace and how did they react when you told them? Or does anyone feel thhe same way i do about boys! Your thoughts please!

First, I like your screen name!

Second, I hope someone your age comes on here and answers your question.

Third, any boy worth having and any boy who likes you for you will not care about the brace AT ALL.

Fourth, as the parent of two 15 year old girls, I agree with Angelica Pickles of Rugrats when she stated, "Girls are good and boys are bad, naughty babies."
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm a 15 yr old as well and i know high school is just full of guys your dreaming over so just tell them if they think your weird hey he is a jerk and not worth it and move on mr.right should accept you for who you are everyone of my friends know and all of friends are cool with it dont be ashamed be you yah some kids are jerks but hey thats high school
      Diagonosed:age12
      and im still alright

Comment

Pooka's right. When I had a post-op brace as a teenager, it didn't bother my boyfriend in the slightest. He said that I was like a butterfly in a crysalis, waiting to come out and spread my wings There are some nice boys out there! Don't bother with the rubbish ones!

Comment

That gives me hope

I guess with brace I can't help but wonder what a guy would do if i told him about the brace because i know a lot of guys are shallow. BUT despite all those shallow guys i know that there are some good ones that will like and accept me for me and nothing more.

Comment

scoli patient w/ boyfriend...

Hey!
            So I am a former brace wearer who has a boyfriend. granted I was never braced while we have been datin, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. My boyfriend is completely supportive of all my scoli stuff, and he's always there for me. If a guy is worth dating, that must be true. if a guy doesn't accept your brace, he's not worth it!!! I know if i was still braced, my boyfriend wouldn't care at all. And most guys aren't going to care! They will support you 100% and always be there. So don't stress about it. If its meant to happen, it will.
            Hey, so I'm Rebecca, I'm 20 and I wore a Boston Brace for one year, and then a Cheneau brace for 5+ years. The Cheneau changed my life. I now am out of brace full time!!!! Its amazing. For all my scoli-girls (and guys of course) hang in there - the day you get your brace off is the best feeling ever. All the years of wearing it won't matter when that day comes. amo vobis!

"DUX FEMINA FACTI (The leader of the deed was a WOMAN!)"
            -Virgel

Comment

Yeah, I know that there are a few good guys out there. But I get kinda scared because I know how shallow some guys can be. But if he is really the one then he will be fully supportive of my scoliosis and brace. Some guys have accidentally touched it and it scares the crap out of them so I became sort of reluctant to find a guy that would accept me and my brace.

Comment

Hi,

If someone really likes you I am sure something such as a brace would be no major concern to them. Like others have said, any guy worthwhile is supportive.

My boyfriend is completley understanding about my scoliosis and has never made a comment about the way I look despite the fact it is very obvious I have scoliosis. I wasn't dating him when I had a boston brace though. I had my brace for a year and I didn't tell anyone about it. I really regret not telling anyone, it made things so much harder. Having my brace even caused my bestfriend of 8 years and me to drift apart because I was a bit withdrawn and worried people would find out about it. My new best friend is so supportive of my scoliosis and back pain as she has a number of medical issues herself and understands. She has even tried on my old brace! lol

Just remember that your brace is nothing to be ashamed of. Although people might find it strange to begin with, they will quickly get used to it and won't mind one bit!
                Sarah
                Australian
                15 years old
                Spine Fused - 06/04/10
                Was: 55 degrees
                Now: About 0 degrees

Comment

Well I really admire your bravery especially in the face of adverisity and i guess it's just hard for us as girls to go through wearing a brace. Every day at school I have to always be conscious of my brace and avoid at all costs of anyone touching it. Then, I was reluctant to even think about guys because i'm sort of at an inbetween place with the doctor because i think they're just keeping me braced until the next appointment. So it's been really hard lately

Comment

so its hard but it will be fine most people dont even care and if they have the guts to make fun of you out of there cold barren hearts dont let it bug you life goes on what doesnt killyou makes you stronger 100% life goes on besides people make fun of others to make them feel better trust me im in high school
                    and im still alright

Comment

That's true. I mean I guess I shouldn't let my brace stop me from doing things that I want to do. And there are so many things I want to do! But no one's been making fun of me or anything but everyday at school I am always paranoid that someone's going run up behind me by surprise and touch it or other scenarios. But I know that after I have my brace off I will be 100x stronger than I already was.

Comment

when i was in middle school this girl punched me in my stomach and i was in a bosten brace then before i swicthed to spinecor anyways. she found out i has aka abs of steel and it was funny for them but deep down i knew it was my brace that i was diffrent and then questions came and i had to tell them everything it was so hard i think i cryed because i thought they would reject me but it was not that bad at all haha life is still very good and i hope when ever your day comes because it will when someone finds out somehow if not your paronia will come out and you will tell i hope this does not put you down when your day comes that you will rember this is a small sentence in the book of life
                        and im still alright

Comment

I know I will be out of my brace someday and I don't really think of it as a sentence or a punishment. I just think that it's an obstacle that I have to go through that will make me stronger. I think that things happen to us for a reason and that we will grow and be stronger and wiser because of it.

Comment

when i first started i thought of it as a deformity
                            and im still alright

Comment

It's just something that will, although it may not seem so, better ourselves for future events. If we're going through a hard time as adults then we'll remember the struggle and eventually the triumph we had with overcoming our brace and putting it all behind us.

Comment

Working...
                              X