Happy Belated Birthday Linda R.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
    Congratulations Linda. The job sounds very interesting and is obviously right up your alley. Why the pay decrease? Is it because it's a research job? Once they find out that they can't get along without you, maybe they will give you a bonus. I guess you won't be holding your breath.
    I worked in medical all of my life and it was a vow of poverty, but was very rewarding. I always said I was volunteering my time.

Happy belated birthday.

Sally
    Thanks Sally... I've been in the marketing field for a long time, and have been blessed with positions that mostly pay a lot. Funny that you should say that about volunteering... when I accepted, I told Dr. Hu that I was going to be a paid volunteer. I just decided that job satisfaction was a lot more important than being wealthy.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm glad you got such a great birthday present, Linda. Happy birthday and best wishes for a wonderful year.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Dear Linda
        i am sure you know by now...there is nothing more rewarding than working in a field that you are passionate about...
        "find a job that you love & you'll never have to work a day in your life"

that is how i felt about being a social worker, & before that, a special ed teacher...teachers in nyc public schools can work their way up to a good salary now...after 25 years and a graduate degree or 2, of course...not so when i first started teaching there, though....of course, no one wants to pay social workers much $$...some think we are still all nuns!

i know the job will be rewarding...i hope they come to realize that monetary reward () is nice, too...

congratulations...all at forum can see how lucky they will be to have you on board!!

jess

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Linda, We are so fortunate to have you providing us with clear, unbiased information - so hard to come by! Thanks for all you do. May your birthday mark the beginning of a wonderful year. Joy

Comment

Linda

Some of us guys are terrible at things like remembering birthdays. I know, its a lousy excuse. anyway H-bday! You can hit me later, what's a little pain? I'm used to it. LOL

It sounds like the position over at UCSF will be really neat, and you are the perfect individual for the position. Just working with all those great "cutting edge" surgeons, (pun?) will be a fantastic experience. Years ago, UCSF was on my radar screen.....

If you can get a chance to hang on the sidelines of a heavy surgery, that would be an experience.....

Thanks for moderating this forum. Having the knowledge, and then making that judgment call takes talent. Its much easier to communicate with people in person versus doing it "online". I appreciate you bailing me out, when I screw up.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Linda

Some of us guys are terrible at things like remembering birthdays. I know, its a lousy excuse. anyway H-bday! You can hit me later, what's a little pain? I'm used to it. LOL

It sounds like the position over at UCSF will be really neat, and you are the perfect individual for the position. Just working with all those great "cutting edge" surgeons, (pun?) will be a fantastic experience. Years ago, UCSF was on my radar screen.....

If you can get a chance to hang on the sidelines of a heavy surgery, that would be an experience.....

Thanks for moderating this forum. Having the knowledge, and then making that judgment call takes talent. Its much easier to communicate with people in person versus doing it "online". I appreciate you bailing me out, when I screw up.

Ed
              Ed...

I think it would be beneficial to memorize my birthday. You never know when it might pop up on a quiz. ;-) I barely remember it, so I don't really expect anyone else to do so.

I've actually seen several scoliosis surgeries in the past, including the revision surgery (with osteotomy) of a friend. I could probably see a scoliosis surgery any time I wanted to, but I found it very difficult to stand still for the required amount of time. I've always been placed at the patient's head, with the anesthesiologist to my left. There's about a 2 square foot area in which to stand. My spine just doesn't like standing in one position for more than about 5 minutes. The one thing I haven't seen live is an anterior surgery. I'd love to do that, but I suspect it's next to impossible to see anything unless one is right on top of the patient.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Wow, Linda..you must have a really strong stomach!! i could never watch anything so....gory....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  Wow, Linda..you must have a really strong stomach!! i could never watch anything so....gory....

jess
                  I had seen several video surgeries before seeing a live one, and I think that was helpful. With that said, I still always feel a little queezy when the first incision is made.

--Linda

Comment

Congratulations, Linda, and best wishes for a rewarding career. And a big THANK YOU for all you do here on the forum. Chris

Comment

I just stumbled onto this thread..Linda, I think your new job sounds fabulous. You never know where your experiences will take you. Congratulations!
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                      X