surgery dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery dates

I received a letter from the Doctors office I will be having my first surgery January 11 and the second surgery January 14..OMG it wasn't until I got this letter and became nervous. I just gotta keep telling myself that I can do this and It's better for my health if I have this done.. i just gotta shake this feeling and move on. HA! =)

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

What are your curves? My MD Dr. Jeong in Tucson was able to correct my curves thoracic 75,lumbar 65 with posterior fusion that also included thoracoplasty and osteotomies with one surgery. The surgery was a long 8 hours but successfull. Ask your MD about donating blood for yourself. I ended up needing transfusions even with donating my own blood. However I am happy to say my curve now is 18 and 9. I don't think my body would have tolerated a second procedure so soon, Good Luck.

Comment

Megz,
      I know what you mean,, my schedule is for next wednesday, December 9th. I am very nervous. My surgeon called me last night to talk to me and to reassure me, but I missed his phone call. I hope he calls back today. I currently have a 52 degree lumbar curve and need both Anterior and posteror surgery to fix all the degenerative disc. I will have t11-s1 done.. I am getting very nervos!

rich

Comment

dear rich
        i would need T11-S1 & L4-sacrum...if i ..when i...if i have surgery...

i wish you the best...the smoothest surgery, the healthiest & best healing....sometimes it seems slow but steady is a more lasting & safer healing...but i hope yours goes as fast as possible...

thoughts & prayers to you...
        jess

Comment

Originally posted by kristis View Post
          What are your curves? .
          My top curve is 90 and my bottoms 110. So I significantly large curves. The dr estimated to get them both around 50 degrees each which i am thrilled with..The first operation will consist of them taking out a few bones and morsalizing them, and putting it back in and then on the second surgery they will go in an put the rods in..The letter mentioned going to red cross to donate my blood. I think I will do that. Better to be safe than sorry.

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
            Megz,
            I know what you mean,, my schedule is for next wednesday, December 9th. I am very nervous. My surgeon called me last night to talk to me and to reassure me, but I missed his phone call. I hope he calls back today. I currently have a 52 degree lumbar curve and need both Anterior and posteror surgery to fix all the degenerative disc. I will have t11-s1 done.. I am getting very nervos!

rich
            so you will have two surgeries as well? I know I will be fused from top to pelvis but I'm not sure where the starting one is. I just keep telling myself that the quicker its here the quicker it will be over and we will be on the other side healing and beginning to finally feel better.

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Meg,

You can do it, I know you can. This waiting is the hardest part, honestly, it's harder than the recovery post-op.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
                My top curve is 90 and my bottoms 110. So I significantly large curves. The dr estimated to get them both around 50 degrees each which i am thrilled with..The first operation will consist of them taking out a few bones and morsalizing them, and putting it back in and then on the second surgery they will go in an put the rods in..The letter mentioned going to red cross to donate my blood. I think I will do that. Better to be safe than sorry.
                Hi Meg,

So glad you have your date for surgery. The waiting is the hard part. Hopefully with the holidays coming up, they will help to keep your mind off of your upcoming surgery.

I wouldn't worry too much about donating your own blood. There have been several discussions about that subject on this forum and some Doctors are for it, but some are also against it. Having worked in a hospital blood bank where we drew autologous donors, it seems as though the people who donate blood for their own surgeries end up receiving more blood than those who don't. Women especially because we don't regenerate red blood cells as fast as the men do. I have seen a lot of women who had to be transfused before their surgery could even begin because their blood counts were way down. Bank blood is very safe these days. You can donate if you wish, but I don't recommend it.

I wish you well. Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

megz,

correct, I will have two surgeries. The first one is on Dec. 9th (next wed.) and the second on Friday. They will go in and fix the disc on the first day and then put the rods the second. I wish they could do all of it on one day, cause i hate hospitals!! I'm doing mine at Cedars Sinai hospital in Beverley Hills with Dr. Kropf. I heard he is good. 6 days away and getting real nervous now!! I'm a big wimp, when it comes to pain!!

rich

Comment

Hi megz,
                    You can do this. Just concentrate in getting into peak condition for your surgery, so that it makes it a little easier in recovery. I also donated my own blood. I didn't need a transfusion, but they gave it back to me over the next 24hours after surgery as a bit of a pick-me-up. It did seem to work. Good luck, you won't know yourself after its done.

To Rich,
                    Don't worry too much about the pain aspect, sure its there, but the cocktails they give you, will see you over that hurdle. Stay healthy and don't stress too much, you will be fine. Best wishes, for a safe surgery and speedy, uncomplicated recovery.
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Rich

They kept me on a ventilator in-between my surgeries which were 2 days apart. My Doc woke me for 2 minutes for permission to continue on to the posterior, I think its standard protocol.

It will probably be the same thing for you Megs.

You wont feel anything during surgery stage, or remember anything really.

My complaints were mainly about my hospital bed, and getting comfortable. They will keep you pretty looped for the first week after surgery. I pretty much lost about a week where I didn't remember anything. People were telling me after that they were down to visit, and I didn't remember them showing up. Like back in the 60s, LOL

I needed 2 units (pints) of blood about day 4 or 5.

I highly recommend at least 2 inches of foam for the top of your mattresses. It improved my sleep considerably. Unfortunately, I didn't get my foam for 2 1/2 weeks after.

Also had nurses, and pt people come out to my house every day. They check up on you. Its part of insurance, saves money, instead of keeping you in the hospital for a longer period.

You guys will be fine. You turn into a zombie for the last 3 days where its hard to concentrate. The day I went in was a submission. Total submission and knowledge that a team of experts were now going to be in control. Like a fish being reeled in, usually the fight is over for the last 10 feet.

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, how many days were you in the hospital? Did you travel right after the surgery? I have a 4 hour drive when I get out. My doctor has told me that I will be in the hospital for 7 days, is this normal?

rich

Comment

Rich

10 days.

I had an Ileus. After my BM, I left about 3 minutes later. LOL

Actually, that's a truthful statement. No kidding. I just wanted to go home.

I would recommend a Cadillac, not a SS Camaro with Bilstein shocks for your mode of transport and lots of soft down pillows. Soft down pillows are easy to mold into shape and are more forgiving in case they are positioned incorrectly. Have a blanket, you will be cold and freezing from the opiates.

Have a pair of large wool socks that are easy to put on. They will wheel you down in a wheelchair, and of course, you will not be driving.

7 days sounds about right.
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed you were kept on a ventilator?! What was the purpose for that?? that makes me gag just thinking about that..I really hope they do not keep me on a ventilator.

27 year old female
                            Upper Curve 110 degrees
                            Lower Curve 90 degrees
                            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Megz and rich. You both r gonna do great. Ill keep u guys in my prayers. Try to relax and I will do the same.
                              -Bethany
                              pre-op L 74*
                              pre-op Th 56*
                              surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                              getting nervous

Comment

Working...
                              X