No announcement yet.

scheduled surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my surgery on march 19 of 2010 it 23 day right afther my 18th birthday.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Thank u everyone for responding. And I really appreciate the wonderful advice. I feel like I am making the right decision! And am very excited to have the surgery and of course I get scared sometimes. But I'm sure everything will go well. Thanks again !
      -Bethany
      pre-op L 74*
      pre-op Th 56*
      surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
      getting nervous

Comment

blood

I'm gonna donate probably at least one pint and then my bf said he would also. I think we have the same blood type so that would be perfect!
        -Bethany
        pre-op L 74*
        pre-op Th 56*
        surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
        getting nervous

Comment

If your boyfriend is someone you might marry or have kids with someday, he should not donate blood for you. Make sure you question this at the blood bank before he donates.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Originally posted by sccrm08 View Post
            If your boyfriend is someone you might marry or have kids with someday, he should not donate blood for you. Make sure you question this at the blood bank before he donates.
            Excellent advice!!! The reason is that if you receive his blood, you could possible build up an antibody to one of his antigens on his red cells. If you marry him and conceive a baby with him, your antibody could attack the baby if the baby inherits his corresponding antigen.
            Sally
            Last edited by loves to skate; 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM.
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I have surgery on Dec. 16, so less than 2 weeks now. I scheduled it maybe 1-2 weeks ago, so it was very short notice. The lady/nurse said that that there was no need for me to draw blood because it was short notice and they want me to be as healthy as possible. Is 2-3 weeks in advance of surgery enough to gain all the blood I lost? I'm not sure why she said that, but it's fine with me, I hate giving blood samples in those little tubes, imagine giving pints, that's too much for me.

Comment

JDM555,

good luck!,, I'm five days away and just getting prepared. My doctor called me last night around 8pm, to talk to me about the surgery and my concerns with being fused to S-1. He said that he would look at my MRI's and xrays again to see what he can do, he will call me today. I never had a doctor call me at home to explain things, I'm lucky for that. I started to download movies on my laptop to pass the time. One thing that upsets me is that my two boys won't be able to visit me while in the hospital, cause of the H1N1 scare, the hospital is not allowing children in, but it gives me an incentive to get better quickly and return home (4 hour drive home)

good luck JDM555 and MEGZ

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                  JDM555,

good luck!,, I'm five days away and just getting prepared. My doctor called me last night around 8pm, to talk to me about the surgery and my concerns with being fused to S-1. He said that he would look at my MRI's and xrays again to see what he can do, he will call me today. I never had a doctor call me at home to explain things, I'm lucky for that. I started to download movies on my laptop to pass the time. One thing that upsets me is that my two boys won't be able to visit me while in the hospital, cause of the H1N1 scare, the hospital is not allowing children in, but it gives me an incentive to get better quickly and return home (4 hour drive home)

good luck JDM555 and MEGZ

rich
                  Good luck to you too, I hope it all goes well with your S1 Fusion, I hope there are no problems. My doctor hasn't specifically called me, he's at Stanford Medical Center so he's really busy and they have a policy where they can only call the patients and patients can't call the doctors, it's stupid. 4 hour drive returning from surgery sounds a little harsh, LOTs of pillows and slow driving .

And about the H1N1, it's only for children 14 and or 16 and under or something like that right? My hospital has that too, but I'm the youngest in my family, so that is good I guess, I will have the whole family around to visit me.

Good luck to you and Megz, hopefully everything will work out and we will all be back to our normal lives in no time.

Comment

Thanks for your explanation Sally, I was wondering about that.

Good luck to all the December patients. Those of us who've had our surgery understand fully the fears that you have. None of us went to it easily but when it gets closer, it takes on a life of its own and you just seem to be carried along, then suddenly, it's over and you're into recovery and the relief is amazing.

I hope you all get the results you're hoping for and that each of your recoveries is smooth. Hope you are all home in time to enjoy the spirit of Christmas!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                    X