No announcement yet.

All S-1's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being fused all the way down is not that bad, however playing twister is almost impossible.

Back in college, that was THE game. That guy that invented that game was a genius.

It incorporated rotational therapy, and some very therapeutic stretches.

Add a little alcohol, and you have a great scoliotic exercise program.

Great for medical students or any student for close up study of the anatomy.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Could I play twister after being fused to L4?

I think I have that game under the house somewhere, probably funnel web spider's home now
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Jimbo

Depends on if you play advanced twister.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Rich.

I had my fusion extended from L3 to S1 in 2008. At L3, I didn't have a much of a flexibility issue. At S1, I have to say, that it's a lot different.

For example, when I drop my pen at my desk, I can't just reach down and pick it up without banging my forehead on my desk. I have to get out of the chair and squat to the floor.

p

Comment

I found a way to shave my legs, takes me longer than it once did, but gets the job done.Took one of my long handle rubber scraper that you use to scrape the bowl when making a cake, took off the top and used duck tape to tape the razor on the handle works good.Still trying to put regular socks on any ideas?
            Aug.17,09 Anterior
            Aug.20,09 Posterior
            Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
            Cedars-Sinai
            Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
            Husband married 30 years
            3 kids 29,28,25
            4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Have you tried putting your foot on the opposite knee? I could do this one on day two post-op. I think the fact that I had to start hip flexion exercises the morning after surgery may have helped.
              My friend uses two silicone tongs as her extended thumb and index finger to put hers on, but just watching her drives me nuts.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Vali,
                I have not started therapy yet.I did not know about hip flexion exercises.Before surgery I could get both feet to my face now I can only get foot to knee and only put thick furry socks on.My left is easier than right.How long did you have to wear your brace after surgery?
                Aug.17,09 Anterior
                Aug.20,09 Posterior
                Cedars-Sinai
                Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                Husband married 30 years
                3 kids 29,28,25
                4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Hi Sheri,
                  my therapy started the morning after surgery. They showed me how to log roll, how to exercise my lungs (deep breathing and strong coughs), hip flexion exercises and ankle flexing for circulation. I never wore a brace. My surgeon doesn't brace his patients after surgery, and the only therapy he recommends is walking, and lots of it.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thanks Vali-On my 1 month check-up my doctor did give me a prescription for therapy.We changed Ins and I just started driving about a month ago so I need to start therapy after the holidays.I think the reason I'm doing so good is all the walking, started 2 weeks post op. about 2 or 3 miles a day.I am always on the go, hard to sit still.Hope I'm not overdoing.
                    Aug.17,09 Anterior
                    Aug.20,09 Posterior
                    Cedars-Sinai
                    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                    Husband married 30 years
                    3 kids 29,28,25
                    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Fusion To Sacrum

I know this is an old thread, but I am not having any peace since my surgery December 11, 2013. At age 13, I had a bone fusion T4-L2. After having chronic pain for 25 years, I finally had surgery. I went to the best BUT I feel like I have made a huge mistake. All my MRI's over the past 20 years have showed severe neural foraminal stenosis L3-S1. I have read hours upon hours of research that the route to take is fusion to the sacrum in this case. My doctor, being conservative, fused only L4-L5. Yes, I feel stronger in my low back and can stand and walk a little further than before, BUT after a short while here comes the unrelenting groin and heavy legs and nerve pain in legs. I still say it is because the S1 level is not fused. Reports show severe neural foraminal stenosis in that level yet the doctor decided not to go to the sacrum.....gave no good reason other than surgery would have higher risk and he felt there was nothing wrong with that level......Contrary to 20 years of MRI's and xrays showing severe stenosis.

QUESTION: Has anyone had to go back in and be fused one more level to S1 after being only fused to L5? Does the doctor have to take out hardware L4 and L5 and then connect fusion to S1? I am so bummed.....I am 61 and feel more surgery is in the future when it could have already been taken care of. Anybody have a similar situation? I am kicking myself that I wasn't more aggressive or gone with a doctor who would have fused to sacrum. This was my request but I didn't push it.

Thanks for your input....even if it is to encourage/sympathize with me....ha!!!! Just have no peace about it and this has been a very costly and time consuming adventure.
                      Last edited by yacpatty; 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM.
                      1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                      1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                      Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                      December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Originally posted by yacpatty View Post
                        I know this is an old thread, but I am not having any peace since my surgery December 11, 2013. At age 13, I had a bone fusion T4-L2. After having chronic pain for 25 years, I finally had surgery. I went to the best BUT I feel like I have made a huge mistake. All my MRI's over the past 20 years have showed severe neural foraminal stenosis L3-S1. I have read hours upon hours of research that the route to take is fusion to the sacrum in this case. My doctor, being conservative, fused only L4-L5. Yes, I feel stronger in my low back and can stand and walk a little further than before, BUT after a short while here comes the unrelenting groin and heavy legs and nerve pain in legs. I still say it is because the S1 level is not fused. Reports show severe neural foraminal stenosis in that level yet the doctor decided not to go to the sacrum.....gave no good reason other than surgery would have higher risk and he felt there was nothing wrong with that level......Contrary to 20 years of MRI's and xrays showing severe stenosis.

QUESTION: Has anyone had to go back in and be fused one more level to S1 after being only fused to L5? Does the doctor have to take out hardware L4 and L5 and then connect fusion to S1? I am so bummed.....I am 61 and feel more surgery is in the future when it could have already been taken care of. Anybody have a similar situation? I am kicking myself that I wasn't more aggressive or gone with a doctor who would have fused to sacrum. This was my request but I didn't push it.

Thanks for your input....even if it is to encourage/sympathize with me....ha!!!! Just have no peace about it and this has been a very costly and time consuming adventure.
                        Hi yacpatty,

I don't know what to say other than to sympathize and say that I feel for you...
                        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

sorry to hear you didn't follow your gut

Yacpatty,

I definitely sympathize with you and wish you well. While I was in rehab, my roommate told me that I was a good advocate. News to me, but I started paying more attention to my body and my gut feelings. I did put up a fuss with one of the nurses and my roommate and myself did complain to the head of nursing about the way one of the aides treated me when I first got to rehab. Things did change and I'm glad I put up a stink.Long story short, go with your gut and advocate for yourself. I know this doesn't help your situation at this moment, but going forward, please put up a advocate, nobody else is going to do it for you.

Libby

Comment

Patty--

Look up threads by JSully (Janet). She had surgery a few years ago and then went back and had fusion to the sacrum maybe 5-7 months later. I think she was happy with her revision.

Dr. Lenke said he could fuse me to L5 because the disc was fine. But h recommended going to S1 because he expected if I went to L5 I would need more surgery within 2-5 years.

That would be a major bummer to need more surgery so soon, but it does sound like the short revisions can be a little easier to recover from than the initial long fusions. Having said all that, you are only 2 months out. Do you think you might still just be recovering?

Best wishes,
                            Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Fusion to sacrum

Thanks girls for all your support and encouragement....what blows my mind is that this is a top notch surgeon, all the research shows fusion to the sacrum especially when it shows severe neural foraminal stenosis and I told hm I had severe groin pain and nerve pain in legs....on my 2 mo check-up last weekend I told him I had severe groin pain off and on and nerve pain in legs...he said they did a big decompression in L4-5......why is he being so stubborn and not saying it could be coming from S1. If I need a fusion down to S1, does anyone know if the hardware needs taken from L4-L5 and then start over at L4. I have been fused from T4-L2 since 1963 when I was 13. After 48 years, the levels below that fusion have beome very deteriorated and has severe stenosis. As frustrated as I am with my doctor, I still feel he is an excellent surgeon and would probably let him operate on me again. And to add to this frustration, on my first surgical consLkt with him in August, his surgical plan was L3-S1....go figure...Why did he change his mind? His reasons were very flimsy.....still feeling 50% guilty. Thanks Jess, Irna, ConfusedMOM and jrnyc (janet)
                              1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                              1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                              December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Evelyn.....I read all of Jsully's threads. Do you know how she is doing? I wish I could talk to her.
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X