All S-1's out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All S-1's out there?

My surgeon had first told me that I needed to be fused to L5, but now is recommending that I go down to S-1. I am worried about my mobility or lack of. For those of you who have a S-1 fusion, please let me know how it feels. Can you bend at all? I'm in pain now, but I am scared of losing all flexibility. I worked out with weights a lot before the pain become unbearable, but hope to return. Can I return with an s-1 fusion? please let me know.. thanks

rich

Rich, I found the fear of losing mobility was far worse than the reality. No, you can't bend at the waist, but you can bend at the hips and knees. No, you can't twist round in the driver's seat, but you can sit on a satin pillow case, which allows you to move slightly to see over your shoulder. Most things are doable, even if slightly differently. Don't let the fear of losing your mobility stop you from having a low fusion. Once fused, you won't have to worry about the heavier strain on lower, unfused vertebrae. The loss of flexibility is outweighed by the end of worrying about your curve progression and what the future holds.

Better to ask whether those who've been fused low, are glad they did it? I most certainly am!

Good luck!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I ditto what Jen has said. As my surgeon said "pain or no back pain, you should always bend at the hips anyway". In two days, I will be six months post-op and everything is do-able,however with somethings you ahve to maybe do it another way. Visualise: you probably could put your socks on by bending completely forward - after, you will probably need to put your foot on the opposite knee to do it! For me personally, I'm glad, the amount of pain i was in at those low levels, was just killing me and wearing me down. I am a much happier camper now.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Rich, ditto, ditto to Jennifer and Vali. Being fused down to the pelvis does make you find different ways of doing the things you did before, but you adjust. As far as the weights go, you will probably have to adjust the way you were doing it also, but as Jennifer mentioned, the proper way to lift anything is from your legs! You won't be able to lift anything for a while after your surgery though. Good luck with your decisions.
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

If you dont mind me asking Rich, but what are your degrees of curves? Im 75* L and 54*Th. My doc said i will have most of the way down but hes going to leave the bottom two unfused for mobility cuz im young. But he said when im 40 or so I will have arthiritis there because of the stress of everything going to the two bottom vertebre. So i would have to get fused all the way down then.
          -Bethany
          pre-op L 74*
          pre-op Th 56*
          surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
          getting nervous

Comment

Hi Bethany
            i just wanted to ask........did doctor explain exactly where he thinks you will have mobility? do you know where the fusion will stop? i wonder why your doctor predicts you will have arthritis beyond your fusion..would it be better to prevent that from happening? have you had a 2nd or 3rd opinion to discuss how far your fusion should extend? i just think several consults are important for all patients...

i have a smaller curve...61 lumbar, 40 thoracic (thoracic would not be included in surgery)... they are telling me to have fusion to S1...maybe it is because i also have degenerative disc & spinal stenosis & severe arthritis in spine...do you have any of that? you said that you are young, so you probably do not... i have had 3 opinions, & all doctors agree on how far my fusion should extend...

i wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery...

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
              Hi Rich, ditto, ditto to Jennifer and Vali. Being fused down to the pelvis does make you find different ways of doing the things you did before, but you adjust. As far as the weights go, you will probably have to adjust the way you were doing it also, but as Jennifer mentioned, the proper way to lift anything is from your legs! You won't be able to lift anything for a while after your surgery though. Good luck with your decisions.
              Another ditto from me. I was in way too much pain in my low back and pain down my leg. I don't regret having the surgery, I just wish I could have had it before things got so bad in my spine with arthritis, spondylithesis, etc, etc. It is much harder to fix us older folks, but thank God it is doable. You will learn how to bend and lift properly from the Physical Therapists. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Add another ditto from me. It was the thing I was so worried about and I'm finding I can live with this very well at 8 months and sure it will continue to improve. I am sure I'd have had to go back in again if I hadn't done the fusion to S1 now. It just makes sense. I'm glad that both doctors' opinions concurred on this so I could quit stressing on it. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Despite the fact I'm having some minor difficulties, I do NOt regret having the surgery. Any limitations I have as a result of being fused T2 through S2 far outweigh the risks I would have faced if I had not had the surgery. (breaking a facet at any time, endangering my spinal cord, etc.) I very rarely notice I move differently, except when dancing. And since I dance mainly in my head (I just don't have the right moves -- never did), it doesn't bother me too much. I can tie my own shoes, do all personal hygiene, and now have very strong quads, as a result of deep knee bends! I have gotten better at my aim, when stooping or squatting to pick something up. Any limitations in my mobilbity have now been adapted to. It does take a long time, but it's very doable. My biggest challenge is when I'm in the passenger seat, and put my purse on the floor. It is a little challenging to pick it up off the floor. Remember, you only have to do this one day at a time. So, relax, breathe, and enjoy the ride!
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I am fused to my pelvis as well. I had my surgery on May 26th and 27th, 2009. I can bend, but the only difference is that my back is completly straight, you have no arch in your back any longer. I have considerable pain when trying to bend over. I either squat most of the time now or I use my grabber to pick items off of the floor. One thing I noticed- I can't reach my bag under the seat in front of me on an air plane and have a very hard time shaving my legs in the shower. I had the exact same fears you did. i didn't want it to change my lifestyle dramatically. The reality, is that you just learn to do things differently. For instance, putting on socks takes me about 10 minutes (that's down from almost 20). I hope this information helps. I will post more if I can think of anything else.
                    Last edited by crystalalice88; 12-08-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

This should all improve with time. It’s amazing what I am able to do now that I could not do a year ago. I find myself using my grabbers less often. I can shave my legs now with no difficulty. I no longer require a sock aid and I can even get on opaque tights. I just recently found a way to cut my own toenails instead of relying on monthly pedicures. Why I even managed to put up my 7’ Christmas tree last weekend.

Comment

Just wondering what the difference in mobility/flexibility of a fusion to the sacrum as opposed to a fusion to L4, which I am getting. Do those extra two unfused disks make a big difference?
                        45L/40T
                        Surgery 25/1/2010
                        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I will just say this. I am fused to S1. If I try to wiggle my hips left to right, my whole upper half goes with.
                          Surgery 6/29 and 7/3 of 2009~ 17 hours worth
                          7 blood transfusions (3 were my own)
                          26 years old at time of surgery, diagnosed at 12 -
                          TLSO brace did NOTHING for me after 3 yrs wearing it...
                          other than cause embarassment & torture

Before Surgery:
                          Thoracic Curve: 68 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 89 degrees

After Surgery:
                          Thoracic Curve: 32 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 25 degrees

<3 Nikki

My surgery experience album:
                          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737

Comment

Originally posted by shortlilnikki View Post
                            I will just say this. I am fused to S1. If I try to wiggle my hips left to right, my whole upper half goes with.
                            How is everything going with you post-op. Looking at your facebook pics it is a dramatic change! Your back looks great.
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I agree with the others... being fused to S-1 isn't so bad as you might think. I can still bend over to pick up toys off the floor and make most of the same moves i did before.... I just had to give up Chubby Checker and the Twist!!

Comment

Working...
                              X