Breathing improvement after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing improvement after surgery?

Hi all. Has anyone noticed improved breathing and better posture after surgery? I've noticed that I get out of breath faster lately, since concave left side of my back has gotten more pronounced. I'm scheduled for posterior surgery with Dr. Boachie on June 2nd. My curve is 90 degrees. I'm hoping to feel better and that I can do more. Thanks, Joy

I didn't have breathing issues. If anything, I feel I have not been able to regain the same degree of fitness I had pre-op. I find going up a slope more of an effort than pre-op. But that could improve with time. I am 9 months post-op in four days.

But with a 90 degree curve, it's very likely impacting your lungs so my opinion would be that you'll find an improvement and not only with your breathing.

Hopefully, someone who had the same sized curve as you will be able to give you more of an idea. All the best, Joy!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Definitely a better posture. My right lung was working at 50% capacity, so said my GP, however, i am not entirely sure this was related to my scoli. I kept telling him at the time that I felt I was allergic to the antibiotics he had prescribed for my chest cold. I felt much better after stopping them.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Strangely, with as big of a curve as I had, I had no breathing issues and found it was still fine after surgery. I guess we are all so different. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
        X