X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken rods and vertebrae slippage surgery scheduled

December 7th, OHSU with Dr Hart.

I'm nervous.

First he will go in the side, remove a rib, deflate a lung, and do a bone graft on the vertebrae.

Hopefully the same day he will go in the back and add hardware to the hardware store I already have back there.

Sigh.

Not looking forward to it at all, but glad I'm going to get it over with soon. I'm confident I have a great doctor and although I've never been a patient at OHSU, I'm sure it's a good hospital.

Doctor says I probably won't have to wear any sort of brace after surgery. I give that a big thumbs up.

I'm trying to remember what my surgery was like 26 years ago when they originally put the rods in. I can't remember it at all. I only know that I was in the hospital for two weeks and then had to wear a Milwaukee brace for a year.

Hi Shannon,

Dec 7th will come quickly, so at least you don't have a long time to fret about it. Is Dr Hart working only on the thoracic area where the rods are broken?

Curious, after you first saw him, he suggested observing for some months, but I know you had an MRI recently. Those results must have showed something more urgent? Anyway, I am glad you have it all planned and soon you'll be on the road to recovery.

Please keep us updated, and take care.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Please keep us posted during your recovery!

Thinking of you!

Rachel~

Comment

Good luck Shannon. Hope you get a great success. We'll be thinking of you.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you. 6 more days until surgery.

I'm keeping a blog here: brokenrods.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
            Hi Shannon,

Dec 7th will come quickly, so at least you don't have a long time to fret about it. Is Dr Hart working only on the thoracic area where the rods are broken?

Curious, after you first saw him, he suggested observing for some months, but I know you had an MRI recently. Those results must have showed something more urgent? Anyway, I am glad you have it all planned and soon you'll be on the road to recovery.

Please keep us updated, and take care.
            Hi, sorry I failed to answer your questions before. I've been a bit spacey these last few days!

Yes, Dr Hart is only working on the thoracic area. Actually, I guess it will involve the lumbar area as well. That's fine as long as it doesn't involve anything above my spinal cord injury which is at T4/5.

The MRI didn't show anything urgent. I think he just had a cancellation and that is why I'm getting in early. That's good for me as I just want to get this over with.

Comment

Thinking of you, and hoping that today went well, and that you're comfortable. Looking forward to your first post from "the other side."
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I hope everything went extremely well for you Shannon.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yes ... has anyone been assigned as a contact? I've been wondering how she is. Didn't she mention in another thread her daughter might be posting for her ... or was that on her blog? I need to go look.

Looking forward to hearing good news from you Shannon!

Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                  X