Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks out tomorrow

Hello everyone,
    I thought I would give a quick update. I will be three weeks out of surgery as of tomorrow (Thanksgiving!). I am doing pretty well actually! I have recovered SO MUCH FASTER than last time. I am still taking pain pills about one to two times a day, but I am now walking a little over 2 miles a day. I am hoping to make 3 full miles today. :-) I use a hiking stick when I go outside on my own. I also still have to wear my TLSO brace for another 3 weeks. I am hoping to be able to go to my family's thanksgiving get together tomorrow...but it really depends on weather, driving conditions, and how I am feeling. I am not sure why, but it appears I gained ANOTHER inch from this surgery compared to last.
    I am having sleeping problems again, I am hoping that it is just that I am not on my normal schedule, so today I am trying not to take a nap so that I can sleep peacefully tonight and have enough energy to enjoy tomorrow.
    One good thing about having the surgery so close to thanksgiving? My appetite is still reduced and with the brace on it's hard to eat too much anyway, at least that is how I have chosen to look at it.
    In any case, I am doing much better than I did last time. I think part of it is my strict adherence to wearing my lift at all times (one shoe on that is 2cm from the ground with nothing on the other foot, or my lifted shoes). Last time I was still fighting with the people that made the shoe because it was made wrong and didn't fit, so I didn't get the benefits of having it until almost 4 weeks out. Anyhow, I hope that everyone has a fantastic and pain free holiday!
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Wonderful news fierce! Thanks for letting us know how you're going - which is very well obviously. Your positive attitude will be helping, I'm sure.

Take care not to over-do it and I hope you make it for Thanksgiving Dinner.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our US friends!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Tiger,

Glad to hear that you have gotten fixed up. How long was the cut on this last op?

Jen

Just wondering about the turkey situation down under. Can you get turkey there?

In the states on Thanksgiving, we eat turkey, talk turkey, think turkey, and some of us even eat so much, that we turn into turkeys, and fall off our chairs. We even eat turkey sandwiches for days. If I would have scheduled my x-ray after Thanksgiving, my x-rays would have looked totally different. See proof below.

It takes about 3 days to recover, that's why we do it on Thursday. It would be better if done on a Monday, then we would have to have the whole week off. The pilgrims had their timing off. LOL

I didn't know Canadians celebrated Thanksgiving.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Some food for thought.

Ed
      Last edited by titaniumed; 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM.
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed, turkeys are everywhere, didn't you know?

Seriously, in Australia turkeys are popular at Christmas but not generally at other times of the year. We'll be having one at Christmas but we won't cook it inside. It would heat up our already over-heated house too much. It'll be done under the hood on the bbq outside, along with the roast vegies.

I rather like your Thanksgiving idea. Those of us lucky enough to be born where we are, have plenty to be thankful for, even in the current economic climate. Enjoy your special day.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Ed
          great x-ray!!

my sister has lived in montreal for decades..i believe their thanksgiving is on our columbus day...

happy turkey to all.....gobble gobble...
          jess

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving fierce - glad to see you doing well. Ed - hysterical turkey xray. Bird is in the oven here. Did you all see the Obama Turkey Pardon? It was nice, said turkey gets to live out his life in Disneyland. An odd little thing Presidents have been doing for some years now - swear I saw a tear in the gobbler's eye for his buds who didn't make it. Life has not been the same since watching Meet Your Meat and I'm near borderline Vegan. My sister says we should not let those turkeys who have perished, die in vain - in other words ... cook them (I see some profound truth in this). Happy Thanksgiving!!

Comment

titaniumed- The scar is about 18 inches this time, they went a little higher and a little lower than last time. I didn't think it was possible to go lower, but apparently it was!
              Thanks for the hilarious turkey xray. Where do you find these things?

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!
              25 years old
              double 70+ degree curves before surgery
              Anterior on 11/11/08
              Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
              nearly perfect correction
              fused t-10 to pelvis
              with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
              Broke left rod on 10/24/09
              Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
              Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
              Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Fierce

Wow! That's a long cut. Glad you are doing better. I'm assuming that they replaced the full length of both of your rods?

Actually I found that "pseudo turkey" x-ray quickly online. A first for NSF! LOL

A day without laughter, is a wasted day. (Chaplin)

Since we are entering Christmas season, I will have to look for something good. Oh No!
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Fierce,
                  I also am happy for you that you are doing much better than before. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. We were having computer problems and my hubby got the computer up just long enough for me to post about my own problems. In the mean time the holiday did me in and I did a charity skate on Saturday which also did me in because it was late in the evening when I am usually in bed.
                  Take care, Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X