Somewhat O/T - Scientific integrity and validity of research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spectacle of lay folks comments on the climate emails

It became clear a while ago that the reality of the situation is not what the AGW deniers were trying to portray. The big clue was that it tends to be the same crowd that denies the facts of evolution that are the same people denying AGW (plus a few others who are putatively rational like CD).

The discussions about it here and elsewhere among lay folks are comical. Ignorant people citing ignorant people leading the naked, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 12-31-2009, 11:42 PM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It is entertaining isn't it Sharon? And this coming from someone quite ignorant about it all! My favorite was the musical (up thread): Hide the Decline

Now my brother on the other hand, is an expert in everything (compared to me) and he says - it's all a cluster something. That in reality, our little blue planet goes through cycles - and we are experiencing nothing more than that, along with solar activity, which also goes through cycles.

Wonder what the well educated experts say about that??

Happy New Year Everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        It became clear a while ago that the reality of the situation is not what the AGW deniers were trying to portray. The big clue was that it tends to be the same crowd that denies the facts of evolution that are the same people denying AGW (plus a few others who are putatively rational like CD).

The discussions about it here and elsewhere among lay folks are comical. Ignorant people citing ignorant people leading the naked, etc. etc.
        Main Entry: big·ot
        Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
        Function: noun
        Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
        Date: 1660
        : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
        — big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective

— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
          It is entertaining isn't it Sharon? And this coming from someone quite ignorant about it all! My favorite was the musical (up thread): Hide the Decline

Now my brother on the other hand, is an expert in everything (compared to me) and he says - it's all a cluster something. That in reality, our little blue planet goes through cycles - and we are experiencing nothing more than that, along with solar activity, which also goes through cycles.

Wonder what the well educated experts say about that??

Happy New Year Everyone!
          Happy New Year to you too Mamamax!!

My New Year's resolution is to move on from the trauma of the last two years since the diagnosis of my daughter's scoliosis. My daughter's crisis has subsided and now it's simply a management of her scoliosis over her lifetime. And it's time to move on from here.

I wish you the best of success with your management of your scoliosis Mamamax. Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
            Main Entry: big·ot
            Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
            Function: noun
            Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
            Date: 1660
            : a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
            — big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective

— big·ot·ed·ly adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot
            When the facts aren't on your side, start calling names.

People are entitled to their own opinions. They are not entitled to their own facts. You continue to struggle with this.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 01-01-2010, 12:15 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
              Finally (oh yeah), the answer to all our questions - right!

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming..._scientific_in

Happy New Year Everyone

Oh, and in case anyone is interested who the Union of Concerned Scientists, here's a link.

http://activistcash.com/organization...ned-scientists

Comment

Straight out of the creationist playbook. When the facts aren't on your side, start calling names.

People are entitled to their own opinions. They are not entitled to their own facts. You continue to struggle with this.
                Do you ever leave this site? Or are you on someone's payroll?

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                  Do you ever leave this site? Or are you on someone's payroll?
                  Are you a creationist?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Are you a creationist?
                    Actually, I'm a scientifically educated engineer with a master's degree.

I am a Christian convert who converted well after being an adult, due to a miracle I experienced, and which you would never believe, but I actually know happened, and I shall leave it at that.

Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

Since you seem to be denying it, I apologize for thinking you are a creationist based on your writing. I guess I was wrong.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I've experienced a few miracles too! Would love to swap stories with you (or anyone else) Ballet Mom - they do exist.

On the lighter side (?) in our OT thread ...

I do hope most of you had a grand party to attend unlike myself who was in bed by 9pm recovering from a long week of overtime. I've decided to make my resolutions as I go along vs some prepared list on the eve, which I will ultimately misplace.

#1: A hot date next year vs what I did this year.

#2: I'm going to investigate osteopathic treatment for my scoliosis (in conjunction with my bracing). Why? Well, If I'm reading all my Martha writings correctly, she experienced her greatest reduction during a time when she was receiving osteopathic treatment. I find that compelling. Also came across an article that seem to support the idea relative to myself (who has a tilted pelvis): http://osteopathy4osteopaths.blogspo...teopathic.html

Now - I truly believe that osteopathy is NOT something all Spinecor patients should investigate. There is good reason for that right here in this forum, from Colliard & Rivard (surgeon inventors of the brace). Seems not recommended for anyone who does not have some influence like a tilted pelvis. So maybe I should write the good doctors before making a decision.
                        Post #7: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5858

The value of this forum shows up over and again when searching the Internet for information. Kudos to Joe O'Brien for his vision regarding just how valuable such a thing could be.

#3: Suggest to the staff at NSF that we add the smiles found over at OSS. As written communication often fails to accurately convey the "mood" of the writer ... additional smilies would be a grand addition towards that.

That's about it for now (outside of reviewing the Editorial Board at Scoliosis Journal) - What's everybody else up to?

Comment

Working...
                        X