10 days post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 days post op

I am feeling much better today and sleeping a little better. My problem is more now that I just can't stay asleep all night. I am able to not take my pain meds every 5 hours. Sometimes I can go almost 8 hours between doses. I have been going on walks every day for up to 30 minutes each time. I have lost about 10 pounds so far and I am exticted about that I needed to loose about 50 before surgery. My only problem that I am having is that I still can not have a bm. I am going to go out on a small outing today to the hobby store to get me some things to keep me busy. How long did everyone use their walkers for? I am so unsure about walking without it so i don't know when I should just stop relying on it and just walk without it.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

You sound great! I did meausre my comfort level on how long i could sleep through the night. at about two weeks I was able to go 6 hours. I would get up take some pain medication help my kids get ready for school and then would have a wonderful nap from 8 am to 11.

I also did not have a bm for about ten days...lots of water and fresh fruit...I ate lots of apples even though I didn't have much of an appetite. I also took the stool softener twice a day...not with the percocet..less effective that way.

I used a cane for while just to lean on when I was standing and then if I was i na crowd to keep people away from me.

Sounds like you're progressing! Take it easy!
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

Loris

That is great that you can walk for 30 minutes and only 10 days post op.

As long as you are not uncomfortable, the BM will probably come soon. It took my daughter 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be in a rush to give up the walker. The last thing you want to do is fall. I would walk around your house and use the walker as much as you can. My 13 year old daughter used her walker for quite a while. (We borrowed it from Grandma and it was a big joke).

Hannamom
      Daughter April had surgery July 13th, 2009 by Dr. David P Roye at Morgan Stanley Childrens Hospital. T2-L4
      She's doing very well!!

Comment

Loris,

you give me hope! I will have my surgery December 9th, so I am terrified! I have tried not to think about it, but the date is getting closer. Tomorrow I have my last consultation with my surgeon before my big date. I have a list of questions to ask, because I want to know everything. I have a 52 degree lumbar curve and he is planning to do an anterior surgery first and then go in the back and do the rod. I hate hospitals, so I don't look forward to that. I plan on having it done at Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles and have a 4 hours drive after I am release. Any pointers, before I have my surgery?

Rich

Comment

Hi Loris,
          Sounds like you're doing really well.
          Have you tried walking an extra 10 minutes? It sometimes makes a difference,
          especially if your body has become accustomed to the 30 minutes of exercise.
          The hobby may also be good for keeping your brain ticking overtime. I had the same problem in regards to sleeping. You should have seen the reaction on my friends faces, when i said i needed something stimulating to do - like learn embroidery or quilling.
          In Australia, we don't have walkers after surgery (as far as i know) nor bracing, so we are pretty much on our own from day one.
          Any Aussies on here that can help me in this department - may differ between surgeons.
          Happy healing.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I think that could be the case, Vali. I was given a walker the first time I got up. After that it disappeared.

You sound like you're doing great Loris. The BM is one of the worst aspects of the surgery in my book. But it DOES start working eventually, and things go back to normal quite quickly.

Rich, there is little anyone can say about the fear, except that it's NORMAL. But you will get through this, as we all do and in a very short time, it will be behind you and all your concentration and energy will be put into healing. A little every day. Good luck. Once at the hospital, it kind of has a life of its own and you just get swept along. Just capitulate, is my advice. Give yourself up and trust those who have tons of experience and will take very good care of you.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have to say...I'm a pretty independent person and I NEVER participate in chat rooms or forums...except this one. I think that if I had not been on this site, I would have been in SHOCK! So I think if you are reading any of these posts...you are well ahead of the game! Take comfort in that!
              Kathy, 43
              Diagnosed as a teen
              Boston brace 2 years
              63 degree lumbar curve
              Surgery August 26, 2009
              Anterior approach fused T12-L4
              now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Wonder Woman,

You just keep on impressing me, and I'm proud of you. I'm sure they told you as far a BM, you can't stain. My mother brought me 2 laxative pills (colace I think),it didn't take long for me for action. I cramped up, and then something exited my body that I didn't even think could have fit in me. (Huge).

I cramped a little afterwards. The next day I was back to normal! But we are all different. keep trying until you find the right one.

Take care and take it easy,
                Shari
                Last edited by Shari; 11-24-2009, 12:31 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Thank you everyone. I have been so amazed at my recovery. I had so expected the worst cases that I had read about on here leading up to my surgery, but it has not been anything like that. My fusion ended up being shorter than he had origanally thought. I was to be fused from T5- L2 but I only ended up being fused from T6-T12 so I know that makes a big difference in the recovery. I am still taking the Tramadol and Tylenol but now only about every 8-10 hours. I am also sleeping better at night now that I took out my afternoon naps. I also took a shower by myself this morning. It was just one more small step to getting back to "normal". I do not know what I would have done without this site at this point. Everyone has been so helpful.
                  Diagnosed @ at of 11
                  Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
                  Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
                  (was told would never get worse)
                  Surgery November 11, 2009
                  Fused T6-T12
                  Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
                  Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Hi Loris

Congratulations on your wonderful recovery!

I used a walker for several weeks post op. My physical therapist, who came to my house for several weeks, encouraged me to use my Leki Nordic Walking Poles when I took my walks outside. They really add to my stability when I walk ... and, not that it is important, I look like I'm out for a hike. I highly recommend them to you and anyone else who wants an alternative to a walker.

Keep up your excellent progress!

Karen
                    Karen, 66 years "young"
                    Polio at 6
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                    Three surgeries in one week:
                    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Loris,
                      I had issues with constipation following the surgery. (not my latest one, but the posterior one in december). I ate prunes, drank prune juice, but took the stool softener, but it ended up being lots of water, pomegranates, fiber bars, and exlax that worked. It was increasingly uncomfortable up until that day (also about 2 weeks out!).

I recently had new rods put in, and this time have found that a hiking stick helps tremendously. It got rid of all the bulk of the walker, and still gives me enough that I feel safe. Plus, if I walk on my own, I feel safer having something to "defend" against any roaming dogs (we live in the country, and neighbors aren't always great with leashing their mean dogs). I don't mean that I have gone around hitting dogs (I love dogs to death and have a shiba inu), I just feel safer knowing that I would have something if the need arose (there is a neighbor whose pitbull constantly gets loose!). Also, helps getting up out of chairs or bed, just to have a point of stability, its much easier to lean it up against something and have it be not in the way than a walker.

I think you are doing just great! I was walking about the same amount when I was 10 days out, my surgeon wanted me walking a LOT. I have never read of anyone that had to do as much walking as I did (at 5 months out it was 10 miles per day), so I'd say you are definitely doing GREAT!

I also had problems sleeping. There was a period of about 2 weeks where I was not getting more than a few hours of sleep per day/night. My surgeon put me on ambien, I only used it intermittently for a very short time, just until my body was used to going to the schedule. Since sleep is SO important at this stage, if your problems persist much longer you might want to just give the surgeon's office a call to get their opinion.
                      Congrats on your weight loss! Did you say you lost 50 before surgery and 10 after? 60 lbs is amazing! Great job, I know how hard it is to lose weight.

Great idea with the hobby! I taught myself to crotchet right before and continued to learn after the surgery. I made a "surgery afghan". It looks terrible on one end where I was VERY new at it, and gets pretty nice at the other end...but it signifies that I made it through the surgery to me, so I would never change it.

Sorry for the rambling post on your thread. I hope you continue to do fantastic!
                      25 years old
                      double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                      Anterior on 11/11/08
                      Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                      nearly perfect correction
                      fused t-10 to pelvis
                      with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                      Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                      Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                      Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                      Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Working...
                      X