yay =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yay =)

Well I went an saw Dr. Wood at Mass General yesterday. This was my second time seeing him. I had to go yesterday to get an x-ray taken as Dr. Wood and his partner grab my foot and under my shoulders and literally stretched me on the table =) It honestly felt really goood hahaha weird I know..Especially with my condition (OI = brittle bones) after getting dressed and going into the waiting room to grab my mom I told my mom they didn't hold back when stretching and her jaw dropped to the ground..It was Dr. Wood and two women in back of me pulling.

Anyways, after carefully comparing my x ray I will be having two surgeries. The first surgery will be him making an incision on my side and him taking out two bones in my spine..he is going to crush them up and form one bone with wires and screws..((there is a medical term for this but I am not really sure what its called)) that will be an 8hr operation and three days later I will have my second one where he will in and put the rods and screws and stuff..He is saying he hopes to have both curves at 50 degrees..this is great considering my curves are both well over 100+. I am finally happy because I will be having a date in either Jan or Feb!! I will find out hopefully Monday I was happy to hear that I was Dr. Woods normal case when it came to his patients..That two curves greater than 100 was normal with him!!

I can now look forward. Instead of not having any ideas of what going to happen and always be in the pain..There is a light at the end of this tunnel =))

I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving =)

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Ohhh. . .please know that I'll be following your posts. . .and cheering you on!!! I'm sure that you'll have the "going gets tough" times. . .but you'll weather them. . .and come out "on the other side" healthy, strong, and beautiful. We scoliosis folks (to paraphrase my surgeon) are "a stoic lot." God Bless.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Hi Megz,

I'm glad to hear that you have finally found the Doctor that you are comfortable with and will be getting your spine taken care of. You have been in my thoughts and prayers for a long time, so I will continue to pray for you for a good outcome.

My best to you, Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks ladies =)

I almost thought I would never get a date for this surgery nevertheless find a doctor. I have to say I really liked Dr. Rand,and hearing all the wonderful outcomes he has performed on some of your ladies that have had him, but I was a little iffy because hes never worked on a person whose had OI. Dr. Wood however just operated on a girl my age with the same condition. His partner was going to give me her information so I could get in contact with her and we could share stories. I'm really excited right now, but I am sure when the time draws nearer I will become a rec and want to cancel lol.
        How long was any your stay in the hospital. They are saying between 10-14 days. I'm assuming because I will be having two operations instead of one.
        I really want my mom to stay with me in the hospital. Do you think that will be an issue?
        Although I was always in and out of the hospital my whole childhood. I should be used to them by now. But honestly I am terrified. This is why I really want my mom to be with me =)

27 year old female
        Upper Curve 110 degrees
        Lower Curve 90 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
        Fused T2-Pelvis
        Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Hi Megz,
          I was in the hospital 6 days for surgery #1, then 11 days in rehab, then 5 more days in the hospital for surgery #2.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

megz - good luck girl!

I'm so glad you've found a doctor you like and who can help you and that you won't have long to wait.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Megz,
              So happy for you.
              I had both anterior and posterior done on the same day (6 hours in theatre).
              I stayed in for 8 days. I could have gone home on the 5th day, but i had nerve pain done the front of my left leg and was have trouble walking, i wanted to get that under control before i was discharged.
              I'm sure you will come out trumps.
              Best wishes.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
                The first surgery will be him making an incision on my side and him taking out two bones in my spine..he is going to crush them up and form one bone with wires and screws..((there is a medical term for this but I am not really sure what its called))
                That sounds like “resectioning.” I’m very happy for you that you have found a surgeon who has given you hope unlike your earlier consults. I’m sure the hospital can make provisions for your mom to be with you. That should not be a problem. Next year should be a new beginning for you. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

I would recommend talking to your doctor ahead of time to let him know that you would like to have your mother stay with you. I did this, and reminded them once I was there (or at least my parents did). I found that they were especially accommodating. They made sure I was in a private room so that I could always have at least one parent there. I even had a double room to myself for a day while they waited for a single to open up. I'm sure there are situations where this could be more difficult (like if the hospital is very full) but it is definitely worth discussing ahead of time so you know what to expect. Good Luck!
                  Sarah
                  22 year old grad student
                  Boston brace from 12-14
                  surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
                  Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
                  Thoracic curve 47*
                  Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
                  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

This sounds great. And you sound really happy about this. A good attitude is so important. Yes, we all have second thoughts, worries, etc. etc. but try to stay positive. Good luck to you. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Meghan

Glad to see you have found your surgeon, and one with experience with OI.

I was in the hospital 12 days. They did my anterior, then posterior 2 days later. In ICU, my Doc woke me up to see how I was doing, and apparently needed my permission to continue with my posterior.Its also in my hospital reports. I was awake for just a few minutes and didn't feel a thing. Unfortunately, when they are done with both procedures and wake you, its going to hurt. When they give you a shot, its about 6 seconds, and it will knock you out so you wont feel anything.

Try not to get too freaky, I know its hard, but worrying will not be any benefit. Just think of it as a new beginning with a new back. Once the surgeons set a date, and order MRIs and other diagnostic procedures, and prep the team, (I had quite a few on mine) cancellation really isn't an option here. There is quite a bit of planning and logistics involved......

Having your own room is the ticket if you can arrange that. I was sharing a room with someone else that had a 12 person support team there every day, and the noise was bothersome. The nursing staff brought in nursing students from a local community college, to help with the simple things. That was a blessing. The night shift nurses would come in after dark and take me for trips in the hospital down to x-ray and I really enjoyed that. Its nice to get rolled around and see the sights and do the tour.

This is all in my past now. Since I have done 5 different surgeries in the last 2.5 years, it isn't as scary for me anymore. I wish I could transfer some of this past experience to you, as things are always more difficult when you don't know.

Recoveries happen so much faster in young people and you have that advantage. Positive attitude helps considerably.

You should be eating well right now to build your immune system. Talk to your Doc about that. Stay out of the center of the supermarket.

Let us know when you have your hard dates.
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Megz -
                        My daughter had her surgery at a childrens hospital and they had a pull-out double bed in the room for parents. My husband and I stayed with her every night. Scottish Rite in Atlanta encourages parents to stay in the room with their kids to help them recover faster.
                        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
                        X