Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need input from people who had surery recently as well as many years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
    Jamie use to go to the SpineKids forum, but stopped going there a long time ago. She just doesn't need the support. She moved on with her life a long time ago and usually only thinks about her Scoli when I mention she has a follow-up appointment with the surgeon or she chooses Scoliosis for a topic of a speech or paper. We've had an anniversary or two of her surgery go by without either of us thinking about it until someone mentions that date and it jogs our memory.
    I have two daughters, one fused 20 months ago and one fused 45 days ago.

They both look and feel normal. The recently fused one claims she has no pain as of a few weeks ago. So they are both completely pain free.

They have no restrictions that matter in their lives. (ETA: My recently fused daughter can't do PE for 8 months but that doesn't really matter in her life.)

Nobody talks about scoliosis around this house. There is no need. My daughters certainly have no need. It is no different to them than my appendectomy was to me. You move on.

We have moved on as a family. I come on this forum to provide two testimonials for others.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-21-2009, 08:43 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by gabs mum View Post
      So I said to her...
      "after this operation, you can't say to anyone anymore that you HAVE scoliosis!!"
      "If this isnt the closest thing to a cure, I don't know what is"
      Was this right in saying this?
      I can tell you what our surgeon told me of my first daughter. He said her surgery was "one stop shopping," she is not expected to need any more back surgery.

He does not call that a cure but I don't see why not.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

She sounds like a typical teenager
        My method of coping was probably more of a denial when I was 15. I didn't want to watch the surgery on PBS. My concerns were could I take driver's ed with my friend later that summer (which I did) and would I still be able to have kids (which I was too embarassed to ask at that age!). I was pretty indifferent to the whole thing, trying to put on a brave face for everyone, I felt slightly nervous on the inside, prayed a lot privately about it, and was even looking forward to getting some extra attention.
        It wasn't presented to me that surgery was an option, more like a requirement, so I just accepted that. I could see your dilema now because there are a variation of opinions out there. The best advice I can give is for you and your daughter to pray (both together and individually), considering all that you have been told from your doctors, and see which way He is leading you and trust your decision.
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
        X